Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

40 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

No one is talking about him like he's Don Shula, but I'd offer that you're talking about him like he's some bottom of the barrel coach, which is equally untrue.

I would counter in saying I think Quinn is a solid coach - I actually don’t hate any of the candidates we have/will interview. I do have a preference order, as we all do. 

My point about Quinn has been the same from the beginning and the same as it was last year - he was a hot coordinator hire who got the ATL job after working under an elite HC with a stacked roster that won a SB. He had a losing record in ATL without an elite OC/staff. He is now in Dallas who is always overhyped, has a soft schedule and a unicorn talent in Parsons.  

Is he a complete joke of a coach, no, I never said so either. Is he a better candidate that Harbaugh, who was my top choice by far, who is proven winner, rebuilder, culture changer and setter everywhere he has been? Hell no. Quinn would be a “fine” hire. A home run hire? No.

Will Quinn, if hired, stand up to Russ and his shenanigans or will he hire his former OC in Bevell and try to “recreate the Seattle magic” and continue to placate Russ? I’d bet on the latter. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I would counter in saying I think Quinn is a solid coach - I actually don’t hate any of the candidates we have/will interview. I do have a preference order, as we all do. 

My point about Quinn has been the same from the beginning and the same as it was last year - he was a hot coordinator hire who got the ATL job after working under an elite HC with a stacked roster that won a SB. He had a losing record in ATL without an elite OC/staff. He is now in Dallas who is always overhyped, has a soft schedule and a unicorn talent in Parsons.  

Is he a complete joke of a coach, no, I never said so either. Is he a better candidate that Harbaugh, who was my top choice by far, who is proven winner, rebuilder, culture changer and setter everywhere he has been? Hell no. Quinn would be a “fine” hire. A home run hire? No.

Will Quinn, if hired, stand up to Russ and his shenanigans or will he hire his former OC in Bevell and try to “recreate the Seattle magic” and continue to placate Russ? I’d bet on the latter. 

Hiring Bevell would be a sign Quinn hasn't learned at all.  Bevell has literally been awful at his stops post-SEA.   

Keeping Evero would a huge sign Quinn gets the HC position needs to be all-in on the HC duties, and you need a legit DC.   NOT hiring Bevell would show Quinn's actually paying attention to who's actually best served to help the team, and not just rely on his old buddy network. 

I have no problem if Quinn is our hire, but losing Evero, or hiring Bevell, either move would send real Q's as to Quinn saying he's learned as more smoke than legit.  On the other hand, keep Evero, and hire someone other than Bevell, would add a lot of credence to the notion Quinn's learning and is evolving.    Guess we'll see if he's the guy how it goes down.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Hiring Bevell would be a sign Quinn hasn't learned at all.  Bevell has literally been awful at his stops post-SEA.   

Keeping Evero would a huge sign Quinn gets the HC position needs to be all-in on the HC duties, and you need a legit DC.   NOT hiring Bevell would show Quinn's actually paying attention to who's actually best served to help the team, and not just rely on his old buddy network. 

I have no problem if Quinn is our hire, but losing Evero, or hiring Bevell, either move would send real Q's as to Quinn saying he's learned as more smoke than legit.  On the other hand, keep Evero, and hire someone other than Bevell, would add a lot of credence to the notion Quinn's learning and is evolving.    Guess we'll see if he's the guy how it goes down.

Not necessarily a Bevell guy, but I do wonder if that year working on the passing game with McDaniel is enough for him to have learned some really interesting things. 

Quinn wouldn’t be an awful hire, but I don’t think there is a ton of upside with it.  

It’s a Seattle connection and I think it’s a big reason he was a finalist last year.  Denver had that trade in the works.  Hiring Quinn is to appease Wilson.  they have a good relationship and that very well could be beneficial, but IMO, Wilson needs a coach who is going to come in and set boundaries.  Quinn comes across a bridge to that.

What it comes down to me is that I’d rather have an above average to good HC (like Quinn) plus a couple of impact players in the draft than mortgage any more of our future to get Payton but then have him needing to compete with a bare bones roster.

Our OL needs a complete overhaul. Only Bolles and Meinerz are currently on the roster that I want starting next year. We need a RT and two interior guys. We could use another impact body or two on the DL. We could use an ILB to play next to Jewell. We need depth in the secondary and at RB and TE. We only have $9m in cap room. 

Giving away another first round pick and change is totally unthinkable. 

• Like 1

Because the issue has been raised - 

Quinn did not call plays during his last two years with the Falcons. I suspect that he would be a CEO type of HC and would be happy to let Evero continue to operate as a fully-fledged DC. The big question is who he would bring in on the offensive side of the ball - because that needs an overhaul. He knows Outten from his time in Atlanta - Klint Kubiak has been brought up with the Shanahan/Kubiak offence that was successful in Atlanta - so it is possible he could keep both - but at the least the positional coaches need a clearout.

On top of that - he knows Wilson. Maybe Wilson doesn't need someone to put the boot in and lay down the law - maybe he needs his ego stroked just a little bit to get him to buy in and do what he is good at. Either approach might work or neither approach might work - only time will tell - and that is the major call that Penner has to make.

I will say - if Quinn had been hired instead of Hackett last season we might not have Evero now - but in all likelihood the Broncos could have made the play-offs.

I have some doubts about Payton - he had Brees for 15 years - and won one SB with a franchise QB. While the Saints were mostly a play-off team during their tenures, Payton did put the Saints in cap and draft hell trying to get one more shot (and didn't do a particularly good job in the draft) - and then he walked away leaving the Saints a mess.

Saying that - and despite the fact that he would cost a 1rd pick - I'd be okay with Payton - let's see if he is worth it. He is clearly the top candidate available and he is not going to be heading to the Chargers or Cowboys. I'd also be okay with Quinn because he is a solid, if not spectacular, hire and I think he would do a good job here, possibly even a great job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Because the issue has been raised - 

Quinn did not call plays during his last two years with the Falcons. I suspect that he would be a CEO type of HC and would be happy to let Evero continue to operate as a fully-fledged DC. The big question is who he would bring in on the offensive side of the ball - because that needs an overhaul. He knows Outten from his time in Atlanta - Klint Kubiak has been brought up with the Shanahan/Kubiak offence that was successful in Atlanta - so it is possible he could keep both - but at the least the positional coaches need a clearout.

On top of that - he knows Wilson. Maybe Wilson doesn't need someone to put the boot in and lay down the law - maybe he needs his ego stroked just a little bit to get him to buy in and do what he is good at. Either approach might work or neither approach might work - only time will tell - and that is the major call that Penner has to make.

I will say - if Quinn had been hired instead of Hackett last season we might not have Evero now - but in all likelihood the Broncos could have made the play-offs.

I have some doubts about Payton - he had Brees for 15 years - and won one SB with a franchise QB. While the Saints were mostly a play-off team during their tenures, Payton did put the Saints in cap and draft hell trying to get one more shot (and didn't do a particularly good job in the draft) - and then he walked away leaving the Saints a mess.

Saying that - and despite the fact that he would cost a 1rd pick - I'd be okay with Payton - let's see if he is worth it. He is clearly the top candidate available and he is not going to be heading to the Chargers or Cowboys. I'd also be okay with Quinn because he is a solid, if not spectacular, hire and I think he would do a good job here, possibly even a great job.

Your first paragraph is what I would hope for from Quinn.

If Quinn keeps Evero. If he acts as a CEO HC. And if he hires Shanahan/McVay tree OC I could get on board with the hire. 

Frankly, I think Payton is the better HC but I don’t like giving up a pick and I don’t want Vic back in the building. We’d also have to marry ourselves to him for a longer period of time than we will with Quinn, who could be quickly fired if things go south. 

But I do know the Walmarts want to “win” the news cycle with the HC hire and I do wonder how much that will impact their decision as Payton is most certainly the biggest name and the one who will generate the most buzz. Not sure he will, in the end, be the best HC but I don’t think he is a major risk either. 

Anyone pining for Fangio as a DC is nuts btw. The game passed him by years ago. Remember when everyone expected a big defensive drop off after he was fired here and rookie DC Evero came in and produced a MUCH better defense with pretty much the same players?

• Like 2

Now the rumor is the Saints want a package more similar to what TB got for Gruden (multiple firsts) and Payton wants somewhere in the 20-25MM per year range as coach.

Hard pass. Sorry. If Denver trades multiple first round picks for a coach, after YEARS of missing on draft picks that could have been core to the team, I will lose faith in the ownership group. Payton is a very good coach. He is not the greatest coach of all time, and he's not worth torpedoing young, controllable talent for. We made this mistake once with Russ. What happens if Russ gets hurt and we forfeit another Top 10 pick? What if the team simply isn't that good under Payton in Year 1? 

This would be mind numbingly stupid and short-sighted. 

• Like 10

Alternatively, Klis started floating David Shaw as an option which definitely means there's some unease internally about the demands from Payton/the Saints.

Shaw is the definition of a nepotism hire and no one will convince me otherwise. The Stanford connection would be too much to ignore. I've seen very little to suggest Shaw will be some elite HC that returns us to relevance. Stanford's offense was trash and trended downwards every year since CMC left. Anyone who likes Shaw and dislikes Quinn needs their head checked (mainly people on Twitter).

I'd rather take a chance on DeMeco Ryans than hire Shaw if we're going first time HC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Now the rumor is the Saints want a package more similar to what TB got for Gruden (multiple firsts) and Payton wants somewhere in the 20-25MM per year range as coach.

Hard pass. Sorry. If Denver trades multiple first round picks for a coach, after YEARS of missing on draft picks that could have been core to the team, I will lose faith in the ownership group. Payton is a very good coach. He is not the greatest coach of all time, and he's not worth torpedoing young, controllable talent for. We made this mistake once with Russ. What happens if Russ gets hurt and we forfeit another Top 10 pick? What if the team simply isn't that good under Payton in Year 1? 

This would be mind numbingly stupid and short-sighted. 

Like I said a few days ago - rumours that the cost would be -

1 x 1st + 2 x 3rds + 1 x 5th

or

1 x 1st + Justin Simmons

I would absolutely abandon this team if some of these trade rumors came to pass. What would even be the point following the Broncos if we basically set ourselves up to be the old lions management where we develop some good players and just trade them to keep the merry-go-round going?

• Like 2