Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

If Harbaugh's willing to bring Munchak in given Munchak's basically DEN-only (wants to be near the grandkids) for OLC & Evero at DC, and convince Rosburg to stay on at STC, that would be a great start.    

FWIW I agree that you can't hire all college guys - keep in mind Shaw had almost 10 years as an NFL assistant before he joined Harbaugh at SDSU.    But yeah, that's an issue.   If the OC was Scott Turner, I'd be thrilled with that one - as @grizmo78 alluded to, there's a clear connection.  

I do think Shaw and Caldwell may be assistant interviews - the group said they were going to be exhaustive - it makes sense from their corporate angle that if Caldwell would be QBC and Shaw the OC - they'd want to hear how the 2 assistants plan on getting Wilson right.   They certainly wouldn't just take Harbaugh's word for it, given how disastrous the Hackett hire went in him bringing in his guys (Stukes and Butch Barry worst of all).

The Shaw and Caldwell interviews came out of the blue, word only leaked out that they interviewed after they interviewed.

Either the Walmarts are being secretive about the search or a lot these interviews are being done after talking with Harbaugh (remember he went first) and getting ideas of who he would like for the staff, as you say. 

Klis said a little while ago on the radio that if they don’t have their guy after the first round of interviews, he expects the finalists to come back and do a second round at Dove Valley. 

I have to say, and I was skeptical, the Walmarts are conducting a nice search, very professional. I wouldn’t hate any of the 8 they’ve talked to, I’m not wild about Quinn, Evero and Ryans would be roll-the-dice rookie HCs, and we’d have to give up at least that SF 1st for Payton, but I very much see the appeal of all. There aren’t any Patriot Way coaches as well, which is good, and no one who is an out-of-the-blue candidate, like Jerod Mayo and Aaron Glenn were last year. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Shaw and Caldwell interviews came out of the blue, word only leaked out that they interviewed after they interviewed.

Either the Walmarts are being secretive about the search or a lot these interviews are being done after talking with Harbaugh (remember he went first) and getting ideas of who he would like for the staff, as you say. 

Klis said a little while ago on the radio that if they don’t have their guy after the first round of interviews, he expects the finalists to come back and do a second round at Dove Valley. 

I have to say, and I was skeptical, the Walmarts are conducting a nice search, very professional. I wouldn’t hate any of the 8 they’ve talked to, I’m not wild about Quinn, Evero and Ryans would be roll-the-dice rookie HCs, and we’d have to give up at least that SF 1st for Payton, but I very much see the appeal of all. There aren’t any Patriot Way coaches as well, which is good, and no one who is an out-of-the-blue candidate, like Jerod Mayo and Aaron Glenn were last year. 

Yeah the ownership may not have football experience but it’s hard to argue with the list of candidates they’ve produced so far. 

• Like 1

If I’m following correctly…

Obviously Harbaugh is top of the list for HC, as far as what’s come out so far.

If I’m following what most of you are saying correctly, and reading between the lines, the OC candidates are Roman, Shaw, Caldwell, Turner. And the DC candidates are so far Evero, and Mason, and I’ve prolly missed a couple candidates. Seems the sentiment, at least here, is that a large part of the interviews are viewed as staff coaches if Harbaugh is hired? I’m intrigued by the possibility that it would be Caldwell as QB coach to Wilson for obvious reasons. Would like you guys thoughts on that.
I would also guess that if it’s Payton as HC, the staff candidates are completely different the above for Harbaugh. 

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pretty clear the FO hopes to retain Evero as DC - ATL request blocked.  

This is honestly pretty massive. Should signal that Evero is the DC here next season if he doesn’t get a HC job, no matter who our next HC is. Imagine hiring a coach in a couple weeks who ends up punting EE, but now a bunch of his next options are filled already? Would be entirely bush league on the part of Penner/Paton. 

Evero’s in Denver next season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This is honestly pretty massive. Should signal that Evero is the DC here next season if he doesn’t get a HC job, no matter who our next HC is. Imagine hiring a coach in a couple weeks who ends up punting EE, but now a bunch of his next options are filled already? Would be entirely bush league on the part of Penner/Paton. 

Especially given we get no comp picks if he walks this year - but get 2 picks if he leaves next year to a higher position (AC with DC counts), pretty hard to see how the FO wouldn’t stipulate Evero stays with the new HC.   Very hopeful regardless.  

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It's a great move! I hope they give him a large raise to boot, near HC money.

Make it very clear to him you'd like him here forever. 

22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Good. Keeps our owners from making that mistake 

Agreed.  Nothing against Payton but no HC is worth a 1st rd pick plus.    Hopefully it’s Harbaugh.   Pretty much guarantees Evero stays in that scenario barring a HC hire by another team.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It would be shocking if the Chargers weren’t looking for a HC by Monday, and Sean Payton wasn’t at the top the wish list.    The Chargers were very much at the top of his by all in-season insider accounts.  

I am hoping this is the case; I don't want Payton here, especially if you have to give up a draft pick for him.

• Like 1

See I’d be fine with Payton, even with giving up the pick though it’s suboptimal, and that’s one reason why Harbaugh remains my top choice ahead of him. After that there’s a sizable drop to the rest of the lot.

Harbaugh has been successful at every stop, even with bare cupboards and places where recruiting is tough or ownership/FO leave something to be desired. I think he would stand up to Russ as well and would put together a strong, experienced staff. 

I know Quinn has his supporters but, as I’ve said, he was a failure without Kyle as his OC (and with a very similar roster), he had a stacked, all-time defense and elite HC in Seattle and has a lot of talent and a soft schedule in Dallas. If Miami were to do the dysfunctional thing and fire McDaniel, if Quinn brought him here as the OC I would more willing to get on board with the hire.