Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

43 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the only interview he has is with us. But I haven’t heard who Arizona is talking to, my guess is they’ll hire a GM first since Kiem stepped down. 

If the Broncos can keep him, and given the deep pockets the Broncos have now, I'd pay him almost as much as an HC.  However, I heard the Texans have requested to talk with him.  BUT, who wants that job as an HC?  The Texans are worse off than we are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I think Evero sticks around here as DC for another year personally, provided the coach wants him around. Players seem to like him, he's clearly respected in the building. Get to keep continuity with the strongest unit on the team. He replicates the success, he's probably a HC next year (and we get a pick). Win-win.

Oh I agree I’d love him to stay. He also has the right scheme fit for the players and keeping him would maintain continuity. Also, and I heard this today, if he gets a HC job we don’t get the draft pick because he was only here 1 year, he would need to be here 2 years for us to get the pick. 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If the Broncos can keep him, and given the deep pockets the Broncos have now, I'd pay him almost as much as an HC.  However, I heard the Texans have requested to talk with him.  BUT, who wants that job as an HC?  The Texans are worse off than we are. 

A Patriot Way GM, an owner who’s a punchline and a decrepit roster. Yeah, no thanks. 

If you’re ranking the 5 available jobs, is ours the most attractive?

- Texans have one-and-done’d their last two coaches and don’t have a QB.

- Cards don’t have a GM so you can’t be sure how that structure will work out until you’re in it. Plus, is Kyler the guy? The rest of the roster is quite bad.

- Colts are yuck from top to bottom. The owner cares, which is nice.

- Panthers is probably the only other choice? Mega-rich owner, the defence has some talent. But also no QB. 

The last two weeks of the season showing just how terrible Hackett was as HC was manna from heaven. Russ went from being completely washed, to a guy with limitations, but not necessarily a death sentence anchor. 

17 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If you’re ranking the 5 available jobs, is ours the most attractive?

- Texans have one-and-done’d their last two coaches and don’t have a QB.

- Cards don’t have a GM so you can’t be sure how that structure will work out until you’re in it. Plus, is Kyler the guy? The rest of the roster is quite bad.

- Colts are yuck from top to bottom. The owner cares, which is nice.

- Panthers is probably the only other choice? Mega-rich owner, the defence has some talent. But also no QB. 

The last two weeks of the season showing just how terrible Hackett was as HC was manna from heaven. Russ went from being completely washed, to a guy with limitations, but not necessarily a death sentence anchor. 

I've been saying, I think our job is incredibly attractive to some coaches and not attractive to others. Carolina is probably the only other job that's attractive this offseason.

Denver has the rich history, ownership stability which comes in the form of the wealthiest owners in the league, likely somewhere in the $40MM cap range, one of the league's best defenses. It all comes down to what you think about Wilson. If you think Wilson is the problem with Denver, this is a bad job for you. If you think Hackett/the coaching was the biggest issue, you're probably salivating at the Denver job because you get an established QB, a very, very good defense, and some likely positive injury regression on your side, plus the owners will back up the Brinks truck for you.

Houston is undoubtedly the worst job from an organizational standpoint. They do, however, have a ton of draft capital and the opportunity to pick a franchise QB. 

Cards are up in the air. Depends on the GM. There's some stuff to like there, but it also depends on how you feel about Kyler. Downside is they may lose Hopkins. 

Colts are just a mess at the moment. For all the grief the Broncos get, that Colts org is in trouble until further notice. Irsay cares, which, as you said, is good. They need QB.

Carolina has a wealthy owner, good defense, some offensive pieces. Almost a playoff team this year and played pretty well. It's a QB thing there too. Just haven't found the right one. 

15 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Same. I know they want to go with experience this time but like.. He took over a team he had never coached. Had one week to evaluate his players, half of whom were injured and then formulate a game plan to take on the Chiefs at home. In January. And we came within a stone’s throw of beating them. Then he follows that up the next week with a legit win against the Chargers. 

I’ve been around a lot of different sports in my life. ‘Average’ coaches don’t pull things like that off. I’m sorry, they just don’t. Especially at the professional level. I really wish they had fired Hackett after the bye week. I would have liked to see what Rosburg could have done with a 5-7 game sample size. I just have a really bad feeling in my gut that we may have lightning in a bottle there, and we’re getting ready to pitch it out the window. 

I found this quote today. Thought you'd get a kick out of it. 

A reporter asked him how he felt about his two week HC gig. 

Overall, to your point, I felt that was where I belonged quite frankly.’’

• Like 2

Carolina, Indy and Houston also play in relatively weak divisions. The AFCW and NFCW are both stacked. 

Denver has, by far, the hottest media spotlight, both locally and nationally, 3 of the others are national afterthoughts and the Colts are middle of the road. Even locally, Carolina, Arizona and, to a lesser extent, Houston, aren’t rabid markets the way Denver is. 

Ballard has done a nice job with Indy’s roster but the holes that are there are huge. Carolina and Arizona have some pieces while Houston is a start-from-scratch job but, again, they have a Patriot Way FO and a punchline owner who’ve fired their last two HCs one-and-done. If you’re a hot young coordinator from a good, stable franchise (Ryans, Steichen, Dorsey), bide your time and see what opens up next year.

I think Carolina will go young. Arizona will wait to hire a GM and that will change their target list. Houston is a crapshow and will probably hire Joe Judge, Jerod Mayo or Matt Patricia. I have no idea what will happen in Indy, that could go a multitude of ways as Irsay is unpredictable. 

If (when) Tommy’s Bucs send Dallas home again, the Cowboys job will likely open up on Tuesday, with Sean Payton probably landing there.

Also, if McVay opts to go to the booth for a few years the Rams will be available and that will be an attractive, or at least like Dallas highly-hyped, job opening as well. Payton will take one of those two before he comes here. JJ loves Kellen Moore so I’m sure he sticks around regardless of who their HC is. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we should have hired Kyle in 2017. 

Carolina is pretty clearly #1 given their roster age, draft capital, owner with just as deep pockets as ours.   But yeah, Denver looks like #2 TBH.    Dallas would probably take that mantle, though.

If Dallas loses the WC game, even though Jerry Jones said McCarthy is safe regardless - he hasn't actually been reliable at all this year (shocker), so I wouldn't trust that.  But I also believe we'd see Sean Payton go to Dallas as their main choice.   

Either way, I'd agree with the sentiment that HOU & ARI aren't as attractive.    You can make the case that IND has the ammo to trade up to 1.1 and get the top draft QB - but the key part there is they really are looking in a different direction than we are - their first 5 candidate interview requests are Steichen, Ben Johnson, Raheem Morris, Aaron Glenn and Jeff Saturday (lol).     What's really telling - Harbaugh did not reach out to IND, and IND hasn't asked for an interview.   For all the "Harbaugh was a Colt" - that's highly unusual given they've been making their requests. 

Edited by Broncofan

I’ve never been happier about a group of candidates. We would get an interview with maybe two of these guys in past cycles. Harbaugh and Payton are proven great coaches, Quinn was at least a solid coach, Morris struggled in his first HC job but people around the league (most notably Mike Tomlin) swear by his ability if he gets another chance, Ryans is far and away my favorite of the options with no experience, and Evero has earned an opportunity to at least present his plan. 

I wouldn’t widen the pool personally. I think we have a great chance of finally landing a quality head coach from this group of candidates. 

• Like 1

With McVay letting his assistants look for other jobs, the chances of Raheem Morris landing here as either a DC or even HC probably increased. He’d make sense paired with any of Quinn, Evero or Harbaugh. 

I don’t expect Ryans or Payton to be the hire. From the other four candidates (Harbaugh, Evero, Quinn, Morris) I think you can almost guarantee two of them will be in Denver in 2023, including scenarios where Evero leaves. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’ve never been happier about a group of candidates. We would get an interview with maybe two of these guys in past cycles. Harbaugh and Payton are proven great coaches, Quinn was at least a solid coach, Morris struggled in his first HC job but people around the league (most notably Mike Tomlin) swear by his ability if he gets another chance, Ryans is far and away my favorite of the options with no experience, and Evero has earned an opportunity to at least present his plan. 

I wouldn’t widen the pool personally. I think we have a great chance of finally landing a quality head coach from this group of candidates. 

Agreed.   Last year, the candidate pool was so meh, it can be argued Quinn was the #2 candidate at worst.    I'd argue outside of Payton (only because of the pick price), he's the least inspiring of this group.   Obv guys like Steichen are interested elsewhere and not here, so no need to widen the search - but do your due diligence on all 5 (sorry, not Payton at that price).

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Harbaugh and Payton are proven winners and would be good hires.

I’d be willing to roll the dice with Ryans and Evero. There’s upside there with both to be sure. Why not if we don’t get the top 2.

Morris was dealt some bad hands and did best as could be but has been a loser as an HC; he’s me a “meh” hire but I could live with it. 

Maybe Quinn figures it out but I also see a loser as HC who rode coattails of a great team stacked with talent, great offensive coaches and a overhyped team the media puts on national TV every week so the whole country can see them find new ways to underperform.

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Agreed.   Last year, the candidate pool was so meh, it can be argued Quinn was the #2 candidate at worst.    I'd argue outside of Payton (only because of the pick price), he's the least inspiring of this group.   Obv guys like Steichen are interested elsewhere and not here, so no need to widen the search - but do your due diligence on all 5 (sorry, not Payton at that price).

Last years candidate pool was wide and varied. It included candidates who shouldn’t have been candidates. The top 3 - Hackett, Quinn and O’Connell - represented the one who was hired, the one who shouldn’t have been hired and the one who should have, but wasn’t, hired. 

Dan Quinn, the loser who only had success under Pete Carroll and with Kyle Shanahan as his OC, is so desperate to be a HC he’s willing to turn his hat around and interview with us, and the same GM, again. It’s like the girl who you rejected once but then after things with you and the hot blonde didn’t work out she’s back at the bar again, sitting next to you and rubbing your leg.