Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

So far, I could easily get on board with any of our potential new HC.

A great list of actual interviews and/or requested permissions.

Moreover:

When was there a hiring cycle when one could have said that before?

There have always been one or two candidates we really had to talk ourselves into. This time, however, all of them have promise. A good place to be in, despite the fact that the franchise has to rebuild to a degree once again.

Of course, so many variables on top of being a fan looking from the outside in, but my initial ranking would be:

1) Harbaugh

2) Morris
3) Ryans
4) Quinn

5) Payton

All seem to have the potential to be grade A+ to B- hires.

No VJ, no Hacketts, no Fangio, no Bienemys, no Dennisons ...

Edited by BroncoinGermany

What's crazy is last year we looked for more attractive to prospective HC's last year - but this year's list of interviews so far is FAR more impressive.   

We likely aren't Payton's first choice (and no thanks hard pass on the pick price) - but having Ryans already is a far better choice than last year's group.   Harbaugh/Payton/Ryans/Quinn/Evero is just so much better. 

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, grizmo78 said:

Rumors are Harbaugh would consider bringing in Greg Roman to be his OC. I know he's still with Baltimore but rumblings are they are ready to move on and John would let Jim have him. Does that sway anyone's thoughts on Jim Harbaugh?

I think Greg Roman does wonders for mobile QBs. And, I'd think you get to keep Rosburg on the staff too.  I mean, if we are going to aim for some kind of Baltimore of the West kind of scenario.  

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

What's crazy is last year we looked for more attractive to prospective HC's last year - but this year's list of interviews so far is FAR more impressive.   

We likely aren't Payton's first choice (and no thanks hard pass on the pick price) - but having Ryans already is a far better choice than last year's group.   Harbaugh/Payton/Ryans/Quinn/Evero is just so much better. 

This is true.  And five years ago if Jim Harbaugh was an option, AAA would have have blown his load to get him in as the HC. 

53 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think Greg Roman does wonders for mobile QBs. And, I'd think you get to keep Rosburg on the staff too.  I mean, if we are going to aim for some kind of Baltimore of the West kind of scenario.  

A huuuuuuge no on Roman - he's amazing if you want to build a Lamar-based attack that's run-based.  But a massive complaint is that if you can stop the run...the pass game is too simplistic.  Roman has never shown that he's able to develop a great passing attack.   A Russ O scheme will want to use his legs, but needs a full pro-style pass attack.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Feels like Harbaugh as plan A (after Payton inevitably focuses elsewhere) and Quinn as plan B.  
All the beat guys are harping about experience, experience, experience.  
Ryans and Evero fill the Rooney requirement but don’t have HC experience and Morris would be a surprising choice for an ownership group seemingly set on making a splash.

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Feels like Harbaugh as plan A (after Payton inevitably focuses elsewhere) and Quinn as plan B.  
All the beat guys are harping about experience, experience, experience.  
Ryans and Evero fill the Rooney requirement but don’t have HC experience and Morris would be a surprising choice for an ownership group seemingly set on making a splash.

I don't think Evero counts because he's an internal candidate - think we need 1 more minority candidate (they increased the requirement to 2 external candidates, and at least 1 in-person interview <2nd could be virtual>).   Ryans is an excellent choice, but I don't think we'll go that route for the reasons you & others cited.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32495704/nfl-rooney-rule-increases-minority-interview-requirements-two

Side note - the fact we're interviewing Evero even though he doesn't count to the Rooney Rule is really a nice tip of the cap to him (it was totally earned, and not just a Rooney-related move).   I don't think he's going to get hired as a HC - and as such, the goodwill and our ability to block lateral hires, it's more whether the HC we hire wants to keep him (another reason to root hard for Harbaugh, presumably their history makes this a near-lock).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Oh god the Rick Dennison era. What a time that was.

He was on all 3 Super Bowl rosters of the 1980s and on the staff for all 3 Super Bowl wins in 1997, ‘98 and 2015. The only others in franchise history who can claim the same are Elway and Kubiak. Let’s give Rico his due. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

This is true.  And five years ago if Jim Harbaugh was an option, AAA would have have blown his load to get him in as the HC. 

Uh, maybe. Sorta.

I would have taken Harbaugh over Vic (or any of the others) that cycle and over Hackett (or any of the others) last cycle. In 2015 I would have gone Kubiak before Harbaugh and in 2017 I would have gone Kyle before anyone else, including Harbaugh.

Many of us have said it 10000000000x times, but the biggest mistake with anything, at any point, in the Elway/Ellis era was taking Vance over Kyle. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A huuuuuuge no on Roman - he's amazing if you want to build a Lamar-based attack that's run-based.  But a massive complaint is that if you can stop the run...the pass game is too simplistic.  Roman has never shown that he's able to develop a great passing attack.   A Russ O scheme will want to use his legs, but needs a full pro-style pass attack.

Yeah when I read Greg Roman might be part of the plan that gave me pause.