Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

We are going to hire Payton. I can feel it. 

This is about fixing Russ and he’s the only one other than Harbaugh that they feel can do it. I truly believe it’s Payton or bust for Penner. 

They are going all in on Wilson while the money is prohibitive and Paton has the mandate to get them there with limited picks. He’s dead in the water without someone like Payton. 

If Russ fails, we tank and Paton loses his job as the scapegoat. Payton then gets to pick a GM and find the next franchise QB. But while the dead money is so high and with Hackett being historically inept, they are going to hold hope that they can still get returns off that investment. 

**** it, I’m down. Many posters are always beating the drum for second chance coaches and maybe Payton is the ultimate version of that. 

Edited by Zukhyubern

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

If we really think Payton is the best coach out there we should low ball the Saints. Offer like a 3rd and a conditional pick next year. What are they gonna do? Turn down a perfectly good draft pick to make him stay retired? 

Eh, I mean, Carolina could still offer a first in that scenario, so we'd likely have to part ways with this year's 1st.

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Eh, I mean, Carolina could still offer a first in that scenario, so we'd likely have to part ways with this year's 1st.

Yeah I have zero belief 2 1sts are in the mix.   But there’s enough demand and we have enough desire to bring Payton in as our top choice that a 1st is likely the starting price.  The desire to get a deal done works both ways here.   

If we got a SB title it’s an auto-win to pay a late first.    If we got 7-8 years of stability and rebuilt the brand name as a regular contender it would be a no-brainer to do long-term as well.   But if Payton doesn’t fix Russ and just bolts after 3-4 years when the going gets tough like he did in NO - then it’s a total L.    That’s the paradox - both extremes could happen.   For 2 1sts though the bar is so high outside of a SB (which also becomes far less likely with teams that need trench help as much as we do), hard pass.  

Either way, I’d imagine things should get decided next week.   Going to get really interesting as Payton and both FO’s start the PR leak machine next week.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I have zero belief 2 1sts are in the mix.   But there’s enough demand and we have enough desire to bring Payton in as our top choice that a 1st is likely the starting price.  The desire to get a deal done works both ways here.   

If we got a SB title it’s an auto-win to pay a late first.    If we got 7-8 years of stability and rebuilt the brand name as a regular contender it would be a no-brainer to do long-term as well.   But if Payton doesn’t fix Russ and just bolts after 3-4 years when the going gets tough like he did in NO - then it’s a total L.    That’s the paradox - both extremes could happen.   For 2 1sts though the bar is so high outside of a SB (which also becomes far less likely with teams that need trench help as much as we do), hard pass.  

Either way, I’d imagine things should get decided next week.   Going to get really interesting as Payton and both FO’s start the PR leak machine next week.   

That’s what I was saying the other day, the floor is SOOOOO low with Payton and his ceiling isn’t any higher. This is a guy who had a HOF QB and in the 9 years since he wasn’t allowed to pay his players to injure folks anymore played good, not great ball (playoffs in 5/9 years. .444 playoff record).

I am not a fan. If we hire him I hope to hell I’m wrong and he becomes a Wilson whisperer. But it reeks of throwing good money after bad in an attempt to fix the Russell Wilson mistake. 

• Like 2

If Payton was playing his cards right he could, once he decided where he would like to go, refuse to coach for any other team and basically take everyone out of the bidding for him. That way it would force the Saints to trade him for much cheaper than they'd like to in order to get any compensation and give Payton more/better picks to improve the roster. 

I agree with many though in that if we're trading a 1st+ for Payton, the risk is too much for me to be happy with it. Worst case scenario we trade multiple 1st round picks for him and give him a 25mil/yr contract, we're still underachieving for a year or two because of a depleted roster and Russ doesn't improve nearly enough then Payton decides he actually likes the TV life better and leaves us cut and dry like he did NO.

Like UK said above, I hope I'm wrong but there are too many ways this can go south. 

9 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

We are going to hire Payton. I can feel it. 

This is about fixing Russ and he’s the only one other than Harbaugh that they feel can do it. I truly believe it’s Payton or bust for Penner. 

They are going all in on Wilson while the money is prohibitive and Paton has the mandate to get them there with limited picks. He’s dead in the water without someone like Payton. 

If Russ fails, we tank and Paton loses his job as the scapegoat. Payton then gets to pick a GM and find the next franchise QB. But while the dead money is so high and with Hackett being historically inept, they are going to hold hope that they can still get returns off that investment. 

**** it, I’m down. Many posters are always beating the drum for second chance coaches and maybe Payton is the ultimate version of that. 

Let's remember that Andy Reid also had a great QB for many years, and only had one Super Bowl appearance, and lost. Then he goes to the Chiefs with a generational QB and now he is a top 5 coach of all-time.  My point being that when the QB/HC combo works, we can do a lot of things.  But it was clear that Russ and Hackett were not on the same page.  And I actually respect Russ for being quiet about it...that was a class move if you think about it. He didn't thow Hackett under the bus even though he could have done so.  So, with a coach like Payton at the helm...who has experience designing plays for shorter QBs, what can he do with Russ?  I think the first round draft pick to get Payton is worth the sacrifice to see.  We have not had a legit HC since Kubiak, and he wasn't even as accomplished as Payton. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Let's remember that Andy Reid also had a great QB for many years, and only had one Super Bowl appearance, and lost. Then he goes to the Chiefs with a generational QB and now he is a top 5 coach of all-time.  My point being that when the QB/HC combo works, we can do a lot of things.  But it was clear that Russ and Hackett were not on the same page.  And I actually respect Russ for being quiet about it...that was a class move if you think about it. He didn't thow Hackett under the bus even though he could have done so.  So, with a coach like Payton at the helm...who has experience designing plays for shorter QBs, what can he do with Russ?  I think the first round draft pick to get Payton is worth the sacrifice to see.  We have not had a legit HC since Kubiak, and he wasn't even as accomplished as Payton. 

I understand this train of thought, the issue is, besides being short, the two QBs have nothing in common. Brees was a pocket QB who thrived on timing throws. He had great pocket awareness and could throw from multiple arm angles to fit his passes through the line/ around the linemen and was able to use the middle of the field.

russ is a line of sight passer with a cannon arm who needs a strong running game to pull the defense close so that he could take advantage of deep passes, sideline passes, and broken/scramble plays. All indications are that Russ WANTS to become Brees, but early indications (the last year and a half) have shown that’s likely not who he is.

• Like 3