2018 QBs

brooks1957

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

A good offense will take away a lot of the problems we have on defense.

Agree.

However, the process is to shore up one side of the ball first.

Depending on BPA where we pick, if the BPA fills a hole on D (FS, CB, LB or DE), that's the pick.

I also think a lot of the narrative regarding how needy we are on O is Hue trying to cover up his and his O staff's p poor performance.

Hue's and his staff's failure coupled with the worst QB in the NFL override the lack of O talent, imho.

In other words, I do not think that gearing up on O is the solution because a lack of talent (except at QB) on O is not the problem.

Had some free time this evening and decided to binge watch some Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. I've previously seen a ton of live Darnold games, a good number of live Rosen games and a decent number of Mayfield's, but not as much.

- Can Darnold please hurry up and declare?! This is the number one pick. The 12 INTs this season really don't bother me. This guy is money when the game is on the line. 30 seconds left on his own side of the field with no timeouts. INSTANT pressure from the unblocked blitzer. Innate sense for it, steps up and into the pocket and delivers off platform to get the game to overtime. You don't see that from college QBs often. Most will try to bail out and away from the rusher, panic and move into the rusher for the sack or just panic and throw one over the middle up for grabs. Then first play of overtime, another dime for a TD and they go on to win. Over two seasons, he's generally gold when the game is on the line. Everyone knows about the Rose Bowl but he does it all the time. There's like two games in two seasons that he doesn't come up with the goods, and a bit reason for that was an overmatched o-line. He's what people wanted to think Kizer was. He's a physical specimen built for the AFC North that doesn't even realise how good he can be. Powerhouse combo of arm, legs and instinct. Get this ball of clay in Cleveland with a proper coach and make magic happen.

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

A good offense will take away a lot of the problems we have on defense.

So would a slightly below average offense. The 22nd ranked scoring offense is over 20 points per game, if we could have scored 20 last game we may have won.

The Falcons scored 100 more points last year than we scored last year... and this year combined. 540 to 440. The Saints and Patriots also scored more points last year than we have the last two years. Several other teams were really close to saying the same.

We scored 16.5 per game last year, terrible. We improved our offensive line, brought in a QB with an NFL arm and are scoring a league low 14.7 this year.

With a healthy Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Duke Johnson and a game where Crowell ran 10 times for 41 yards we totaled 10 points.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

You guys should get Lamar jackson

unlike vick and rg3 he uses his feet and steps up in the pocket he thinks pass first run second or run and throw instead of run and just run

its true this dude low key will be dangerous he isn't foolish to depend on his legs 

If the Browns were further a long and had more talent I wouldnt mind Jackson.

18 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

You guys should get Lamar jackson

unlike vick and rg3 he uses his feet and steps up in the pocket he thinks pass first run second or run and throw instead of run and just run

its true this dude low key will be dangerous he isn't foolish to depend on his legs 

Oh lord no. He’s not a qb. Sorry

On 12/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Oh lord no. He’s not a qb. Sorry

This is a teeeeeeeerrible take.

For example: Everyone complains about Jackson's accuracy and point to his CMPL%, which admittedly isn't great (60.4%, though I'd not it improved all three years). But does anybody talk about Rosen being wild? His CMPL% is 62.6%. Darnold is 63.7% and actually got worse this year from last. Now, CMPL% isn't a flawless stat, AT ALL, but it illustrates that I think his accuracy issues are overblown.

I think the fact that Jackson is such a special runner actually HURTS him in this conversation, because people see the running ability and automatically think "running QB". But the thing is he's a special runner at QB, who has actually been a pretty solid passing QB as well.

He's #4 or 5 among the QBs, but he's ABSOLUTELY still a QB. He's inconsistent with his accuracy, but he'll make a few throws a game that are NFL quality, tight window throws. He's probably more risky than Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen, but he's absolutely a QB prospect. I think he could be GREAT in a situation like Pitt, NE, or NO where he'd get to sit for a year or two getting acclimated.

I'm gonna go ahead and speak my peace on Lamar Jackson now. Hear all this while knowing that he's my #4 right now, so I'm not advocating taking him #1. That said, he's one of the four QBs I'd be excited to come out of the draft with (assuming Hueball is fired, if he stays, I'm not sure how I'd be excited about any of them...)

I want to point out some specific plays:

0:12 - Tight window throw from the pocket.

0:25 - Makes three reads to find the open man.

0:40 - Are you kidding me? Escapes pressure (special legs), and instead of running keeps his eyes up and hits a pin point accurate 50 yard pass.

1:05 - Sits in the pocket, makes two reads, throws it over the safeties to hit an open WR.

1:25 - Rolls away from pressure, eyes up the whole time, puts a ball where his guy is getting it or it's going out the back of the EZ.

2:05 - This is a subtle one. He escapes to give the outside route time to develop and then when he sees the CB selling out on the wheel, he throws back shoulder instead.

2:50 - One of the best fades I've seen. Drops it in a bucket 25 yards downfield at the opposite sideline.

3:05 - Sells the PA, and instead of going for it all, knows his down and distance and takes the easy throw to get the 1st down. Super smart.

3:30 - Holy turds man. Goes through all three reads and hits the opposite sideline pass 40 yards downfield and places it EXACTLY at the sideline.

4:15 - Like the announcer says, are you kidding me? Talk about throwing a guy open. His WR had NO separation and the perfect throw is there.

4:45 - In stride, has one foot of space where the CB can't get it but his guy will, puts it right there.

Again, I'm not arguing for Jackson at #1. But this "he's not a QB" stuff is absolute BS. Lamar Jackson has as much arm talent as anyone in this class. And honestly, if you're looking for a big armed "special athlete" QB to take, I have NO EARTHLY IDEA why you would take Josh Allen over Lamar Jackson.

That's my peace.

36 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This is a teeeeeeeerrible take.

For example: Everyone complains about Jackson's accuracy and point to his CMPL%, which admittedly isn't great (60.4%, though I'd not it improved all three years). But does anybody talk about Rosen being wild? His CMPL% is 62.6%. Darnold is 63.7% and actually got worse this year from last. Now, CMPL% isn't a flawless stat, AT ALL, but it illustrates that I think his accuracy issues are overblown.

I think the fact that Jackson is such a special runner actually HURTS him in this conversation, because people see the running ability and automatically think "running QB". But the thing is he's a special runner at QB, who has actually been a pretty solid passing QB as well.

He's #4 or 5 among the QBs, but he's ABSOLUTELY still a QB. He's inconsistent with his accuracy, but he'll make a few throws a game that are NFL quality, tight window throws. He's probably more risky than Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen, but he's absolutely a QB prospect. I think he could be GREAT in a situation like Pitt, NE, or NO where he'd get to sit for a year or two getting acclimated.

Sheesh dude, terrible take?  Yeah it was moreso hyperbole than anything. The cat I was replying to was advocating taking him #1. If you’ve read my posts I’ve defended Lamar as a throw first qb. 

But im not high on him at all as an nfl qb. I hate to say it to you but I will never ever ever again use completion percentage as a tool to measure a guys accuracy. EVER! I personally don’t see him being accurate at all. Especially when he’s pressured. I also see him throwing mostly to wide open guys. Just so you know I’m starting to hear chatter that teams are going to ask him to also work out at WR. Just in case he can’t transition to qb in the nfl. 

Now I do agree if he’s there in the 2nd round I would probably take a shot on him. Dude is an electric college qb. 

12 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Really liked the way that Josh Allen climbed the pocket there.  Gol' darned cannon on that young man.

He’s looking good so far. I still think he has shot to get drafted pretty high. This years been crap, last year was far better. Tho I need to look deeper at his accuracy. 

Archived