Mocks and Simulations

dll2000

51 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys generally act like hes the precious little glass figurine that cant even be touched

I'm on record of saying he was less at risk while running than he was in the pocket last year. True pass sets were atrocious and it seemed like the OL always was playing hot potato with getting their *** handed to them by a passrusher. You'd have 4 good blocks and one getting flat out owned and that guy would be the one in Fields' grill.

Musty being gone is a hell of a good start, if Jenkins stays healthy that is a huge boost, and Davis makes a significant boost on the inside too. I think Jones takes a step forward after a promising rookie year, so now just hoping there is a good RT to pair with Jones. I think Leatherwood, Borom, Patrick, and maybe one of the rookies from last year at least provide serviceable depth. Hopefully this and an improved passing corps make for a HELL of a lot of improvement. Fields not botching some of the short throws will keep him out of long situations more too. Last year being 3rd and 8+ was an absolutely nightmarish scenario with the OL injured and ESB and Pettis being the 1 and 2 WRs. It was rough enough when Mooney was forced to be the #1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. He got hurt last year while running out of bounds to avoid being hit, on a play that literally every QB does a lot. 

Yes. Exactly. I was trying to think of a way of saying it without saying it (don’t want to put that out into the world) but this is exactly what im getting at.

yes we need to be better at pass protection, every team does, but we have already upgraded so much from the dirt floor he was working with last year. And once again, during that 6 game span when we were slinging it on offense, we didn’t hear how bad the line was, because they were average when both the run and pass game were working in unison and we were able to play with a lead some. 

I think some of you are extremely naive when you say “the coaches and players aren’t trying to lose”. I’ll agree that the players aren’t because that’s how they get hurt, but the ones they are trying to build around (I.e. Justin Fields) know what’s happening, have had conversations, or else they wouldn’t be sitting out games at the end of the year. But the coaches… they for sure know what’s being asked (even if no one puts it on paper for culpability reasons) of them, and they are coaching as such. If you saw the shift Getsy made after the mini-bye, and then watched what he dine in the last 5(?) games, you can not come to any other conclusion than he was trying not to win. The defense took care of itself, but if the roles were reversed, I’d guarantee you we’d be seeing the same thing on that side to end the year. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys generally act like hes the precious little glass figurine that cant even be touched

He is tough as nails, but had I time and skills I could do a long highlight reel of vicious hits he has taken in preseason and reg season in last two seasons.

On top of that they literally ran him into ground last year in a stretch of games. They called QB runs after he was visibly hurt, after he was gassed.  They didn’t care.  Dial it up again, we can’t get anyone open or protect him in pocket and he is getting yards.

He has to take far less hits. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. He got hurt last year while running out of bounds to avoid being hit, on a play that literally every QB does a lot. 

So, because the worst injury occurred when he was running out of bounds, which of these many problems does it negate?

-He got sacked more than any QB last year, by a LOT

-He runs and takes RB abuse, both from contact and just bursting for 10 plays a game and getting tired. 

-Because he runs he's going to take late shots which the refs don't seem particularly inclined to stop

-He takes a long time to throw, which is a Fields problem

I don't see any of the above as a good reason to neglect the OL.   Perhaps you're right and Davis will improve the line. Perhaps Jones will improve on his own-he does seem aware of the issues I will grant you that-and maybe just everyone being around will improve the 4 guys we currently have on OL. If last year was a dirt floor (and it was bad)  we're upgraded to plywood on dirt. The OL is still bad as it stands today. I'm sure there are teams with ****tier OLs that would trade with us, but what are we talking about, two teams at best? 

Fields is not soft, he is extraordinarily tough.  The work he puts in beyond football, beyond lifting just to stay flexible and durable is incredible.  How long do you think he's going to be good or functional if we trot out an OL like we have now?  

It's a dead horse that our OL needs work, I just hope we're not having these discussions in season so hopefully the draft breaks our way as Poles approach to the OL is not sustainable and won't make for good football.   I get that some of you might think "improved over absolute garbage like 2022" is good enough, but I very much don't, and look forward to either seeing it fixed or hoping the next guys do a better job with the next QB, as I can't imagine Poles said to George "I'm not really sold on Fields, so I want to see what he can do for a year or two with bad pass catching and awful OL, and if that doesn't work I want to get a new QB to try that or something else on"

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

So, because the worst injury occurred when he was running out of bounds, which of these many problems does it negate?

-He runs and takes RB abuse, both from contact and just bursting for 10 plays a game and getting tired. 

-Because he runs he's going to take late shots which the refs don't seem particularly inclined to stop

I don't see any of the above as a good reason to neglect the OL. 

I’m not suggesting they should neglect the OL at all, and if it were up to me a tackle and center would be our first two picks. My point was just that players get hurt on all kinds of plays. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I don't see any of the above as a good reason to neglect the OL.   Perhaps you're right and Davis will improve the line. Perhaps Jones will improve on his own-he does seem aware of the issues I will grant you that-and maybe just everyone being around will improve the 4 guys we currently have on OL. If last year was a dirt floor (and it was bad)  we're upgraded to plywood on dirt. The OL is still bad as it stands today. I'm sure there are teams with ****tier OLs that would trade with us, but what are we talking about, two teams at best? 

Fields is not soft, he is extraordinarily tough.  The work he puts in beyond football, beyond lifting just to stay flexible and durable is incredible.  How long do you think he's going to be good or functional if we trot out an OL like we have now?  

It's a dead horse that our OL needs work, I just hope we're not having these discussions in season so hopefully the draft breaks our way as Poles approach to the OL is not sustainable and won't make for good football.   I get that some of you might think "improved over absolute garbage like 2022" is good enough, but I very much don't, and look forward to either seeing it fixed or hoping the next guys do a better job with the next QB, as I can't imagine Poles said to George "I'm not really sold on Fields, so I want to see what he can do for a year or two with bad pass catching and awful OL, and if that doesn't work I want to get a new QB to try that or something else on"

All of the above are great points, however, it doesn't negate the fact that your avatar is creepy as hell and comes from the mind of a psychopath or serial killer.

• Like 1

Fair enough to both of you;  always the chance of a freak injury on routine activity but when your routine activity is the thrilling and terrifying stuff that Fields got up to last year it sure seems like your chances are higher.  Although I do think your're not goign far enoguh AZ, frankly unless our first two picks net TWO tackles and TWO centers it's failure*

And BB, I will happily make any number of prop bets on draft night to change either my or your avatar based on what happens (or don't) on the draft night? Those things are creepy as hell. My inlaws used to live in Tahoe and I came in really late one night in a big storm and had to park way uphill and hike in, and encountered a house on the way that had all living room lights on, shades open, and evey visible wall was floor to ceiling shelves covered with those evil little totems.   It was highly upsetting, really felt like I'd wandered into the opening of some existentialist Dutch horror film or something. Apparently they left the house like that evey night so everyone could "enjoy" their collection, which supposedly number in the five figures. 

*this is a joke poking fun at a certain type of poster (me)

54 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

No one has ever said neglect the OL, in fact, we have addressed it in the past two offseasons. The Center got hurt last year, and then Jenkins is the conundrum that he is. But right now, we have 2 NFL level Center on the roster, and we added a good Guard, while a draft pick Tackle proved to be useful. Sure none of these are the All-Pros that we want, but those 4 spots, even if we somehow didn't address RT in the draft, are already better than what we were walking into 2023 with. 

But hers my question back to you, other than your first point, which of those problems do a RT solve? Or even a RT+C+6th Lineman?