BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

WR Rankings are done. This should be a fun one to debate.

WR

1. Greenland- Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, Van Jefferson, Christian Watson, Odell Beckham Jr

This is probably the deepest group in the league. Diggs is a stud, Lamb is fringe top 10. Godwin, if healthy, is still really really good. Watson showed big play ability year one and then the return of OBJ is a nice kicker to the whole group.

1. Singapore- Davante Adams, Michael Gallup, Jerry Jeudy, DeVonta Smith, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers, Jauan Jennings, Ihmir Smith Marsette

Davante is still elite. DeVonta is  on his way there. Jeudy hasn’t been quite what he was billed as but is still a very good piece. Meyers is a quality slot player and even Bourne is useful in spot duty.

1. Camden- AJ Brown, Cooper Kupp, Gabe Davis, Terrance Marshall, KJ Hamler, Isaiah Hodgins, Nico Collins, Trey Palmer

The duo of AJ Brown and Cooper Kupp are probably the best duo in the league. Camden doesn’t quite have the depth of the others above them.

1. Gotham- Tyreek Hill, Christian Kirk, Tee Higgins, Alec Pierce, Dez Fitzpatrick

4 and 5 are super close, but I’d take Tyreek comfortably over Deebo, I’d rather have Tee Higgins over Hopkins at this point and Kirk vs DJ Moore is kind of a wash for me, so give me Gotham over NO.

1. New Orleans- Deebo Samuel, DJ Moore, DeAndre Hopkins, Rashee Rice, Charlie Jones, Michael Wilson

A really strong trio of Deebo, DJ and Hop. The depth is to be questioned but that is a great trio

1. Cuba- Calvin Ridley, Justin Jefferson, Zay Flowers, Marvin Mims, Rondale Moore, Tyquan Thornton

Justin Jefferson is the best WR in the league. Calvin Ridley is a question mark as to who he will be but you can’t deny he is very talented as a running mate with JJ.

1. Anchorage- Hollywood Brown, Ja’Marr Chase, Jaxon Smith Njiba, Treylon Burks, Jamison Williams, Jalen Reagor, Laviska Shenault, Josh Downs, Erik Ezukanma, AT Perry

Ja’Marr Chase is a stud. Hollywood would be a great compliment to that. It is hard to put this crew above Cuba without seeing anything from JSN yet and the current production we’ve seen from Burks.

1. Berlin- Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Brandon Aiyuk, Kadarius Toney, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Kayshon Boutte

I could see this group being top 3 or 4 by the end of the season. Wilson was great as a rookie, Aiyuk is better than I think he gets credit for. Both London and Toney could take massive leaps this year and ascend up the ranks. No reason to feel down about the potential of this group if I’m Berlin.

1. Ivory Coast- Terry McLaurin, Jordan Addison, Chase Claypool, Jalin Hyatt, John Mechie, Amon Ra St Brown

Scary Terry and Amon Ra are a really strong duo. There is just a lack of proven talent after that. If IC hits on one or two, this group will be better than their ranking.

1. Rome- Amari Cooper, Jaylen Waddle, JuJu Smith Schuster, Jonathan Mingo, Josh Palmer, Khalil Shakir

I really like their starting 3. I think Waddle is a stud, and Amari Cooper somehow went from overrated to underrated. JuJu is flawed but is a great fit as a slot between Cooper and Waddle. The depth needs to prove itself.

1. Baltimore- Mike Evans, Jahan Dotson, Darnell Mooney, Devin Duvernay, Jalen Tolbert, Anthony Schwartz, KJ Osborn, Kevin Austin

Evans has done nothing but be a 1,000 yard receiver but at this age with a downgrade in QB play its fair to wonder what he’ll be moving forward. I am high on Dotson and Mooney is pretty good. Nothing after that really excites me.

1. Hungary- DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Donovan Peoples Jones, Jarvis Landry, Danny Gray, Bryce Ford Wheaton, Calvin Austin

A great duo in DK and Lockett for sure. DPJ has some big plays as a number 3. Nothing much of note after that 3 though.

1. Cancun- DJ Chark, Chris Olave, Elijah Moore, Lance McCutcheon, Nick Westbrook, Velus Jones

I think Olave will be a top 10 WR in another year or 2. Chark and Moore have major question marks but I can see this being a very strong trio.

1. Raleigh- Courtland Sutton, Diontae Johnson, Michael Thomas, Darius Slayton, Quinten Johnston, Jalen Guyton, Tutu Atwell, Marquez Callaway, David Bell, Dee Eskridge, Justyn Ross

I’ve put a lot of resources in turning this into a respectable group. Diontae is a steady player that I can rely on. Thomas has got to stay on the field and Sutton hasn’t been the same player since his breakout. I have good depth here, but I still lack the top end talent to be put higher.

1. Lancaster- Tyler Boyd, Michael Pittman Jr, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Dyami Brown, Ben Skowronek, Kyle Phillips

Pittman hasn’t jumped into the stratosphere of reliable BDL starter yet. Boyd is a good piece but nothing I’d fear as an opponent. There is a lack of consistency behind them. Lancaster should look to the tank for help.

1. Seoul- Allen Lazard, Zay Jones, Mecole Hardman, Rashod Bateman, George Pickens, Tyler Scott, Tank Dell

I think Pickens is the best player in this group but he lacks consistency. Honestly that is what this whole group is, strong at times but consistency is lacking. A player like Keenan Allen in the tank really could elevate this corps. I don’t think this is a bad room, but I think they are the least proven in the league.

I'm okay with 8.  I went into last offseason with the goal of putting a lot of resources into WR and I've done that.

I think it'll pay off this year.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I actually missed that part of the deal, ok that is actually fair. Redacted

Yep steep price for a RB coming off an ACL but he was a favorite of mine in the last class. I’m making fun moves for me bringing in guys I really like even if I’m losing a bit on deals.

• Like 1

This is one of those I have proven talent things and Pete puts other teams ahead that have one quality receiver or a bunch of potential and no production yet. Pete killing me smalls 

Edited by PR
  • Like 1

So this further expands the DeVonta Smith trade as more pieces have been added but looking at the whole picture…

Anchorage trades:

DeVonta Smith
JK Dobbins

Receives:
Singapore 2024 1st
Baltimore 2024 3rd
Raleigh 2024 6th
NOLA 2025 7th
Breece Hall
Hollywood Brown

Still miss DeVonta but I always enjoy mapping out how trades with multiple pieces end up totaling up. There are four picks here to still be made before looking at total value but love doing this exercise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Yep steep price for a RB coming off an ACL but he was a favorite of mine in the last class. I’m making fun moves for me bringing in guys I really like even if I’m losing a bit on deals.

Yep saw that this year with Dobbins and but he rebounded really well later in the year. Betting on him breaking out and being the feature RB he proved he could be in the stretch last year. 

Hall legit looked like a stud and actually doesn't have to worry about a stacked box this year so as long as he's somewhat ready for week 1 he'll be productive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Yep saw that this year with Dobbins and but he rebounded really well later in the year. Betting on him breaking out and being the feature RB he proved he could be in the stretch last year. 

Hall legit looked like a stud and actually doesn't have to worry about a stacked box this year so as long as he's somewhat ready for week 1 he'll be productive.

Yeah Dobbins and Taylor are expiring. Even if Breece isn’t back full health this season he’s a cost controlled talent on a longer contract and hopefully my rookies get some run. I could have likely used that second on a different back in next years draft as there are several I like but I like Hall’s potential and I have a bad track record with 2nd round picks anyway (other than JT)

• Like 2

Anchorage Defensive Off-Season

Losses:

S- Budda Baker

CB- Kristian Fulton

CB- Sean Murphy Bunting

LB- Cole Holcomb

LB- Micah McFadden

LB- Mykal Walker

LB- Duke Riley

Edge- Bradley Chubb

Edge- K’Lavon Chaisson

Edge- Leonard Floyd

INT- Greg Gaines

INT- DaQuan Jones

INT- Sheldon Rankins

Additions:

CB- Christian Gonzalez

CB- Marco Wilson

CB- Paulson Adebo

LB- Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

LB- David Long Jr

Edge- Haason Reddick

INT- Jarran Reed

The biggest contributor I lost was Budda Baker, but I couldn’t justify to myself paying a primarily box safety despite how great he is 15k when I had other areas I wanted to improve. I feel I gained some solid talent and while there are less bodies than I lost I do feel like they can continue to carry a championship defense.

S:
I will start with the back end of the defense and address safety. As mentioned I lost Budda who is a versatile chess piece and was a great asset as a player our franchise drafted in our first season with me as owner. Replacing him is a tough task. We didn’t really add anyone to replace Budda but are expecting our young safeties plus the return of Kam Curl to give us a formidable group. We 3upped Jessie Bates as we believe safeties that can truly play single high are worth their weight in gold and in our system he has been used primarily in that role.  Even without adding a body we really like our group going forward as we expect Caden Sterns to make a jump in playing time as he has also been the Broncos most impressive player in OTAs.

CB: 
We traded away oft injured Kristian Fulton and let SMB walk after RFA tagging the year prior in his second stint with our team. We thank both players for their contributions but believe in our group and the additions we have made. Marco Wilson via trade will likely be the number one corner in Arizona for better or for worse and Paulson Adebo will compete for a role in NO. The prize of our defensive offseason came in the form of 5th overall pick Christian Gonzalez. Gonzalez has great length, is a great athlete and went to a great system to coach him up. We look forward to what he brings to our very strong corner group and don’t feel he will have to be rushed to see the field if he is not ready early on despite that he will likely be starting in New England.

LB:
We lost a couple of guys who other than early on didn’t contribute that much for our team. We made a trade for JOK who we foresee taking on some of the Budda role and signed David Long Jr to provide us with a good football player in the middle of our defense. We definitely believe we improved this area of our defense. 

Edge:
We lost expensive Bradley Chubb who didn’t really live up to his billing in Miami yet. 3 downed a bust of a draft pick by us in Chaisson and let tank signing Leonard Floyd depart in FA. We added only Haason Reddick in their place but believe he is an upgrade to match with the young Edge talent we already have on the roster. He wasn’t a target for us heading into FA but when I saw the hesitation by others to bid on him I felt I could get him at his minimum bid without getting into a bidding war. And in fact we were able to do just that. We look forward to the pressure he can bring with the rest of our edge group and he helped us land spot #1 in Pete’s edge rankings. 

INT:
We lost some solid depth and rotation guys here who were underrated contributors in our championship run earning some starts as well. We added Jarran Reed upon his return to Seattle to replace their production in our rotation and bring a veteran presence. We will likely look to add another guy in the tank to help bolster the depth of the unit. Reed probably could have waited until the tank but we did set out to grab a DT for sure in that FA period once it started and at his cost he was the guy we had in mind.