Season over?

TL-TwoWinsAway

15 minutes ago, Calvin-Stafford said:

Can I just say Ansah has been straight-up trash barring a couple games here and there lately? I've seen way more impact being had by the likes of Zettel, who is pretty much a rotational hustle guy. I don't want to see Ansah in a Lions uniform next year.

The only way I'd want to see Ansah back would be a super cheap one year prove it deal.

19 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

The only way I'd want to see Ansah back would be a super cheap one year prove it deal.

He's going to get more than a one year cheap deal based on talent alone.

I'd be open to a 3 year deal some ok money. He has the physical talent and can be a monster when healthy. We'll have enough holes on the DL to fill as it is and already struggle to stop the run and get a decent pass rush. Zettel has done better than expected in his role.

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

He's going to get more than a one year cheap deal based on talent alone.

I'd be open to a 3 year deal some ok money. He has the physical talent and can be a monster when healthy. We'll have enough holes on the DL to fill as it is and already struggle to stop the run and get a decent pass rush. Zettel has done better than expected in his role.

Thing is, a guy like Ansah can drop off after a few injuries and that seems to be what’s happened to him. 

He may get a big deal because of past accomplishments and position but I think the Lions would be foolish to be the team that pays him if they think he’s lost his athletic advantage. 

12 hours ago, khaosoy said:

Thing is, a guy like Ansah can drop off after a few injuries and that seems to be what’s happened to him. 

He may get a big deal because of past accomplishments and position but I think the Lions would be foolish to be the team that pays him if they think he’s lost his athletic advantage. 

If they can identify a viable replacement, then I can get on board with that. However, a lot of people were ready to give up on Clowney (myself included). He's come around and has played quite well. Especially with all of the injuries to Watt, I'll assume that the Texans are happy to have him on their team than having to face him.

I'm not expecting for us to pay Ansah like a top 10 guy. I just don't want to drop him under all circumstances or only bring him back on a short-term cheap deal. That is entirely unrealistic. If you can bring him back for $8M/year for 3 years, that is a contract that would split the difference.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If they can identify a viable replacement, then I can get on board with that. However, a lot of people were ready to give up on Clowney (myself included). He's come around and has played quite well. Especially with all of the injuries to Watt, I'll assume that the Texans are happy to have him on their team than having to face him.

I'm not expecting for us to pay Ansah like a top 10 guy. I just don't want to drop him under all circumstances or only bring him back on a short-term cheap deal. That is entirely unrealistic. If you can bring him back for $8M/year for 3 years, that is a contract that would split the difference.

Clowney is a pretty bad example if ya ask me. There are also guys that fit what he's talking about and just fall off. I think it's more than injuries with this guy.. I haven't seen much change in him since he got here really.. idt there's no way he excerpts your offer anyway.. back issues will always be there especially how he plays.. I bet they keep him tho and find out the hard way bc there desperate at the position.. It's the typical lions thing to do.. 

On 12/5/2017 at 7:47 PM, Calvin-Stafford said:

Can I just say Ansah has been straight-up trash barring a couple games here and there lately? I've seen way more impact being had by the likes of Zettel, who is pretty much a rotational hustle guy. I don't want to see Ansah in a Lions uniform next year.

He’s always been a bit streaky. Even in his “breakout” season it wasnt a consistent performance from him. I know it can be said of most pass rushers, but I felt like he was complete feast or famine. 

14 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Clowney is a pretty bad example if ya ask me. There are also guys that fit what he's talking about and just fall off. I think it's more than injuries with this guy.. I haven't seen much change in him since he got here really.. idt there's no way he excerpts your offer anyway.. back issues will always be there especially how he plays.. I bet they keep him tho and find out the hard way bc there desperate at the position.. It's the typical lions thing to do.. 

You could be right, he might get a much bigger offer... and that's when you let him go and move on. A 3 year x $8M contract is just short of top 10 at the position and is only $2M more than his current salary. So it's not a huge stretch. If he can get more money from another team, then you cut bait and move on. The team has enough holes on both lines and some of the skill spots, especially RB. A short term contract for Ansah at a relatively decent value would allow the team to focus on filling other spots.

My comparison for Clowney is really simple: a highly drafted player with a lot of physical skills who hasn't lived up to expectations due to injury. Up until this year, a lot of people were ready to move on from him. Recently he is showing himself to be more of the player the Texans thought they were getting when they drafted him. It would be a very Lions-esque thing to drop a guy like Ansah and then have him become a stud somewhere else. Someone with Ansah's physical talents should be given a bit of a longer leash IMO.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:18 PM, Karnage84 said:

You could be right, he might get a much bigger offer... and that's when you let him go and move on. A 3 year x $8M contract is just short of top 10 at the position and is only $2M more than his current salary. So it's not a huge stretch. If he can get more money from another team, then you cut bait and move on. The team has enough holes on both lines and some of the skill spots, especially RB. A short term contract for Ansah at a relatively decent value would allow the team to focus on filling other spots.

My comparison for Clowney is really simple: a highly drafted player with a lot of physical skills who hasn't lived up to expectations due to injury. Up until this year, a lot of people were ready to move on from him. Recently he is showing himself to be more of the player the Texans thought they were getting when they drafted him. It would be a very Lions-esque thing to drop a guy like Ansah and then have him become a stud somewhere else. Someone with Ansah's physical talents should be given a bit of a longer leash IMO.

Clowney was considered once a generation type. Ansah was a risking pick in a bad draft. IMO. 

I wanted ansah at the time. He has physical talent but the the injuries wear on the talent.. I won't be too upset if we keep him for cheap/short but when has this team got off cheap.. I'd love to be able to get something out of a trade but probably not a possibility idk

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, Rockcity2 said:

Clowney was considered once a generation type. Ansah was a risking pick in a bad draft. IMO. 

I wanted ansah at the time. He has physical talent but the the injuries wear on the talent.. I won't be too upset if we keep him for cheap/short but when has this team got off cheap.. I'd love to be able to get something out of a trade but probably not a possibility idk

I'm in the same boat as you. I just would prefer to try and keep him on a relatively cheap/short-term deal. I do feel someone is going to overpay and that we should let him walk if that's the case. Ansah doesn't deserve $12M a year with the Lions (or at all really) but I'm thinking he'll get that. I was upset about Suh leaving at the time but I don't think Miami has received their money's worth.

Ziggy reminds me of Graham from Philly. Graham showed some good games during his rookie contract was hurt and the eagles extended him and he has been one of there best players on D... I wouldn't mind keeping Ziggy next yr picking up a Muhammad Wilkerson(hear the jets are going cut him) and beefing up the d-line and getting another Edge rusher.

Revisiting our playoff chances, we're actually in decent shape right now.

Assuming we win out against lesser opponents, Seattle is out of the picture.  That leaves us up against the Falcons and Cowboys (assuming that the Saints and Panthers get spots).  The Falcons have to win two of their last three games, and a schedule of Bucs, Saints and Panthers is brutal.

The Cowboys finish against a desperate Seahawks team and the Eagles in week 17.  I believe we win tiebreakers against the Cowboys, although I'm not positive.

So: we win out, the Falcons lose two, and we're in.

28 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Revisiting our playoff chances, we're actually in decent shape right now.

Assuming we win out against lesser opponents, Seattle is out of the picture.  That leaves us up against the Falcons and Cowboys (assuming that the Saints and Panthers get spots).  The Falcons have to win two of their last three games, and a schedule of Bucs, Saints and Panthers is brutal.

The Cowboys finish against a desperate Seahawks team and the Eagles in week 17.  I believe we win tiebreakers against the Cowboys, although I'm not positive.

So: we win out, the Falcons lose two, and we're in.

If we get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, would you consider this a successful season?

Archived