Coaching changes coming? Update: JDR fired!

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The thing about JDR is that's what most thought he was when he was hired. It's working out pretty much exactly as envisaged, although you could almost argue that he's been a victim of his own success after last season. We won 12 games despite not really being a 12-win caliber team, and as a result it accelerated our expectations. This season has been an underachieving season, and when you contrast that with the overachieving in 2016, it makes this season feel even worse.

I'm 50/50 on retaining JDR. It would be a gamble to get rid, but if he is staying, I'd really like completely different co-ordinators as we'll go nowhere as things are.

I think i can live with JDR, but we need top of the line coordinators, and I think having a former HC as one of your coordinators is a plus. An extra set of eyes if you will.

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I think i can live with JDR, but we need top of the line coordinators, and I think having a former HC as one of your coordinators is a plus. An extra set of eyes if you will.

Have that in Mike Tice right? What "top of the line" coordinators do you think they would pay and JDR could attract?

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Have that in Mike Tice right? What "top of the line" coordinators do you think they would pay and JDR could attract?

Koetter as OC if Tampa lets him go would be huge. Can maybe stick with Pagano at DC lwe have to see if they really improve under him.

Hiring Gruden would be akin to the Art Shell hiring. He’s been out of the league for about a decade. Who’s he going to bring in on his staff? How’s he going to mesh with Carr? Will he be able to modernize the offense? I think if he got hired he’d cost a ton but the nostalgic fans would cream their pants. Until the team went 3-5 his first year. 

14 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Hiring Gruden would be akin to the Art Shell hiring. He’s been out of the league for about a decade. Who’s he going to bring in on his staff? How’s he going to mesh with Carr? Will he be able to modernize the offense? I think if he got hired he’d cost a ton but the nostalgic fans would cream their pants. Until the team went 3-5 his first year. 

Well said also is he going to want complete control as well. Lasting memory I have is the gruden led Bucs getting knocked out of the playoff hunt by Jamarcus Russell 

I'm a bit weary of guys like Jim Schwartz. He seems like a good enough HC, but really he's proven to be a top knotch DC. JDR was essentially that. 

In my perfect world, JDR would just be our DC. Find a solid OC like Koetter or Shurmer. I'd rather take a shot on a 1st time HC than a re-tread again. But that's just me. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm a bit weary of guys like Jim Schwartz. He seems like a good enough HC, but really he's proven to be a top knotch DC. JDR was essentially that. 

In my perfect world, JDR would just be our DC. Find a solid OC like Koetter or Shurmer. I'd rather take a shot on a 1st time HC than a re-tread again. But that's just me. 

Meh.... JDR wasn't much as a DC. Very conservative. Once he left Denver, Wade flipped the switch for that group.

Every situation is different. Vance Joseph/Anthony Lynn. 1 has a QB, the other doesn't for example. IMO, the HC needs to be an offensive mind to pair with Carr. JDR is a defensive HC who can't get the defense coached up now for 3 years running. 

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Meh.... JDR wasn't much as a DC. Very conservative. Once he left Denver, Wade flipped the switch for that group.

Every situation is different. Vance Joseph/Anthony Lynn. 1 has a QB, the other doesn't for example. IMO, the HC needs to be an offensive mind to pair with Carr. JDR is a defensive HC who can't get the defense coached up now for 3 years running. 

I agree give me a offensive minded guy who could come in and revamp the offense. There could be a Sean McVay type out there, i mean did anyone know who he was prior to his signing. I mean i didn’t think that the redskins where all that great but man is he coaching lights out. 

Also i wonder how much input Carr will have in this search. After the Downing debacle I’m more inclined to not have it. 

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

IMO, the HC needs to be an offensive mind to pair with Carr. 

Same here!

After Dennis Allen and Jack Del Rio, I would really like a offensive guy at the helm.

Pat Shurmur could be an interesting choice IMO.
He seems to be doing a great job with the Vikings this year and had some pretty solid years as OC before...he had a pretty rough set up in Cleveland as HC, so I wouldn't keep that against him...

Not sure, who would be his DC...

50 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Same here!

After Dennis Allen and Jack Del Rio, I would really like a offensive guy at the helm.

Pat Shurmur could be an interesting choice IMO.
He seems to be doing a great job with the Vikings this year and had some pretty solid years as OC before...he had a pretty rough set up in Cleveland as HC, so I wouldn't keep that against him...

Not sure, who would be his DC...

Honestly if the Raiders had a middle of the pack defense this team could be super bowl caliber.

An offensive coach is needed because that's the team's current strength, plus it would make the team easier to watch.

22 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Not that I am pro-bringing Gruden back, but this is a bit of stretch. Art Shell wasn't a good coach to begin with and had no real connections for his staff (B&B offense anyone)  Gruden is a well respected coach with a lot of connections. Ties to: Rod Marinelli, Raheem Morris, Gus Bradley, Mike Tomlin, Sean McVay of notables. 

Gruden would pair well with Carr IMO. He's the type that demands a lot of his QBs and Carr is a student of the game. 

And can we stop saying "modernize" the offense? What does that mean? Spread/read options? Gruden runs a west coast philosophy which is used widely in the NFL. Kyle Shanahan with the 49ers, Frank Reich with Philly, Gruden in Washington, McVay runs it in LA, Pat Shurmur in Minnesota.

So yes.... Gruden's offense is "modernized" and still effective. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not that I am pro-bringing Gruden back, but this is a bit of stretch. Art Shell wasn't a good coach to begin with and had no real connections for his staff (B&B offense anyone)  Gruden is a well respected coach with a lot of connections. Ties to: Rod Marinelli, Raheem Morris, Gus Bradley, Mike Tomlin, Sean McVay of notables. 

Gruden would pair well with Carr IMO. He's the type that demands a lot of his QBs and Carr is a student of the game. 

And can we stop saying "modernize" the offense? What does that mean? Spread/read options? Gruden runs a west coast philosophy which is used widely in the NFL. Kyle Shanahan with the 49ers, Frank Reich with Philly, Gruden in Washington, McVay runs it in LA, Pat Shurmur in Minnesota.

So yes.... Gruden's offense is "modernized" and still effective. 

Not to mention that Gruden is still heavily invested in the game. It's not like he is on the golf course all week. A few weeks ago he talked about how much film study and scheme breakdowns he still does. Says he prepares like he was still trying to beat defense. It

Archived