2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

After going through free agency and the draft, I have consistently had the feeling that there is this "other shoe" that seems like it is going drop.  I don't know if it is the presence of EDGE guys like Romeo Okwara and Charles Harris who will have limited roles or something else.  It seems like one more surprise roster move is coming.

If Shane Zylstra really did get down to 215 it would give us a taller and more physical WR that we really need.  This kind of change might also signal that the Lions may decide to move on from Josh Reynolds.  

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

After going through free agency and the draft, I have consistently had the feeling that there is this "other shoe" that seems like it is going drop.  I don't know if it is the presence of EDGE guys like Romeo Okwara and Charles Harris who will have limited roles or something else.  It seems like one more surprise roster move is coming.

If Shane Zylstra really did get down to 215 it would give us a taller and more physical WR that we really need.  This kind of change might also signal that the Lions may decide to move on from Josh Reynolds.  

I don't know if Zylstra is going to be the guy to do that but he's an indication of what they're trying to do at WR - get bigger. We have enough speed between Gibbs and Jamo. The bulk of our WRs have been like 5'11 and 180. A lot of our recent additions have been bigger dudes

The one major concern I have with the way this off-season has gone is the frequency of hutch facing double teams last year...I don't see anything the lions have done this off-season helping with that so hopefully he works hard on his ability to beat the double team.

40 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The one major concern I have with the way this off-season has gone is the frequency of hutch facing double teams last year...I don't see anything the lions have done this off-season helping with that so hopefully he works hard on his ability to beat the double team.

Hopefully Paschal and Onwuzurike can get healthy and Houston can continue to dominate.  

16 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Alim McNeil and Josh Pascal have to be able to add some pass rush help this to help keep the pressure off of Aidan Hutchinson.  If Brodric Martin can step into a significant role quickly that would help also.

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Hopefully Paschal and Onwuzurike can get healthy and Houston can continue to dominate.  

I think the biggest thing with James Houston is that he needs to be a more complete player.  In our last game in Green Bay, the packers kept him in check by sending a receiver into area from which James Houston was rushing.  Teams were doing the same thing to Micah Parsons until he learned to recognize that tactic. James Houston will need to do the same.

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Cominsky added a lot to Aidan after coming back from injury as we saw in the latter half of the season.

Also, I expect Alim to take another step forward. 

He's looking a lot more fit, there was an interview where he said he's lost 10% body fat. Martin and Buggs should free him up to become the 3T.

• Like 1

If NFL coaches ever played a game against other NFL coaches which team would win?  It is flat out insane how many very recently successful NFL players the Detroit Lions have.

Mark Brunell QB
WR Antwaan Randle El
Aaron Glenn CB
Dre Bly CB
Dan Campbell TE
Kelvin Sheppard LB
JT Barrett QB
Shaun Dion Hamilton LB

Minnesota Vikings for example, most accomplished player they had is Keenan McCardell and that is about it.  Talk about player lead team, I imagine that many young former NFL players as coaches helps that unit overall.  And guys like Brunell, Glenn, Randle El and Bly were high level players.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think that says a lot about their plans for Brodric Martin and Antoine Greene.  

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that Greene is going to be an every-down starter but he's likely going to stick around as WR5 or WR6