2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

Comments from Duce Staley.  Given D'Andre Swift's inconsistent production that is far below what his talent would indicate I would side with Duce Staley.  The article also mentions him being pulled because he came up short on a 3rd down play.  That theme of "coming up short" was not a one-time thing last year.

When you say frustrated, have you talked to him? So you take that as him being frustrated? Oh, Ben (Johnson) said he was pissed off,” Staley said.”

You can tell I read your clips. Alright, I don’t know, and I will say this, if he is, tell him to take that same energy, that same juice and use it on the field. You tell him that.”

https://sidelionreport.com/2022/11/12/duce-staley-wants-dandre-swift-use-anger-field/

Edited by Just Want A Title

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Comments from Duce Staley.  Given D'Andre Swift's inconsistent production that is far below what his talent would indicate I would side with Duce Staley.  The article also mentions him being pulled because he came up short on a 3rd down play.  That theme of "coming up short" was not a one-time thing last year.

When you say frustrated, have you talked to him? So you take that as him being frustrated? Oh, Ben (Johnson) said he was pissed off,” Staley said.”

You can tell I read your clips. Alright, I don’t know, and I will say this, if he is, tell him to take that same energy, that same juice and use it on the field. You tell him that.”

https://sidelionreport.com/2022/11/12/duce-staley-wants-dandre-swift-use-anger-field/

It'll be interesting to see if tensions between Swift and the coach who is no longer here will boil over this season.

• Like 1

Could the Lions make a run at Quinnen Williams?  The Jets have about $15 million in cap space without counting the Allen Lazard signing.  They still have to pay Aaron Rodgers or whoever else is going to play QB.  According to the article below, they have a number of moves they could make but it still seems like a big challenge.  It might be a long-shot but getting Quinnen Williams would be huge for the Lions.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/how-much-cap-space-ny-jets-have-2023#:~:text=According to Over The Cap,%2415%2C081%2C178 in cap space remaining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Could the Lions make a run at Quinnen Williams?  The Jets have about $15 million in cap space without counting the Allen Lazard signing.  They still have to pay Aaron Rodgers or whoever else is going to play QB.  According to the article below, they have a number of moves they could make but it still seems like a big challenge.  It might be a long-shot but getting Quinnen Williams would be huge for the Lions.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/how-much-cap-space-ny-jets-have-2023#:~:text=According to Over The Cap,%2415%2C081%2C178 in cap space remaining.

Curious what the cost would be. Could he be pried for a second rounder? 🤔 Hmm. Interesting idea either way.

9 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Reading the article, it looks like the Jets would have a variety of ways to open up that cap space without giving up one of the best young players in the league (and already on their team). It's a nice thought but probably not going to happen.

I've been seeing a lot of buzz for a Budda Baker trade in a Lions FB group I'm in and it's hard to understand the logic. 

We'd have to give up decent draft capital (at least a 2nd or 3rd) while paying him $13M to play a position that we're already going to be juggling with between Walker, Joseph, Gardner-Johnson and Sutton (along with Will Harris, not that he should be a reason we don't go after a good player). If Walker looks like he'd be coming back healthy, it just doesn't make sense to pay him $6M, Baker $13M and then have CJGJ on the bench more than he should be with his $6M and/or bench Kerby and stunt his development. 

If Tracy looks like he's going to be set back then it's a move that would make more sense. So far we haven't heard anything to indicate that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Reading the article, it looks like the Jets would have a variety of ways to open up that cap space without giving up one of the best young players in the league (and already on their team). It's a nice thought but probably not going to happen.

I've been seeing a lot of buzz for a Budda Baker trade in a Lions FB group I'm in and it's hard to understand the logic. 

We'd have to give up decent draft capital (at least a 2nd or 3rd) while paying him $13M to play a position that we're already going to be juggling with between Walker, Joseph, Gardner-Johnson and Sutton (along with Will Harris, not that he should be a reason we don't go after a good player). If Walker looks like he'd be coming back healthy, it just doesn't make sense to pay him $6M, Baker $13M and then have CJGJ on the bench more than he should be with his $6M and/or bench Kerby and stunt his development. 

If Tracy looks like he's going to be set back then it's a move that would make more sense. So far we haven't heard anything to indicate that. 

Making a move for Budda Baker seems like a move the Lions don't need to make unless they have a major hole to full due to injury.  If a trade did happen, it seems like it would happen after the draft.

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Lions fans are literally jumping on any player that requests a trade at this point. They did the same with Devin White.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:54 AM, Karnage84 said:

I wouldn't really say Tracy is good enough that you don't look to upgrade the position if possible... He's a solid/average starter but it's definitely a position that could be improved (although I wouldn't call it a need because as I said he's a solid starter). That being said... Trading for Baker isn't the way I'd look to go about trying to make an upgrade there because of the salary... If the team really wanted to try to upgrade at that spot I'd rather just draft someone... Branch and Johnson are the most obvious choices but I don't think trying to upgrade there is a big enough priority to draft one of them given where they'll be taken...I wouldn't "hate" it... But I think there are definitely better positions to be spending those picks on.