Chrono Trigger Mafia (Lavos and Magus wins!)

31 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

@MWil23 are you done pretending to scumhunt yet?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Well in my defense, I did hunt who I thought was a viable threat to me in @Deadpulse and @Ragnarok. That's kind of the beauty of a Nacho game...you can get away with it for a bit since there are other alignments.

This was actually the first scum game I've had in a VERY long time.

The full setup that ended up being used can be found in the Autopsies section of the OP, but I wanted to make a few additional notes pertaining to its development.

While the Mystic Army faction ended up just being a red herring this game, it was actually its own scum faction in the first version I made of this setup. I eventually decided that I wanted the Lavos faction to be the sole focus of the game and the Mystics would just detract from that, so I moved Ozzie over to Lavos and scrapped Flea and Slash (moving them to joke auto-death characters to establish a fake claim for Ozzie and give him an option for Zombor n1).

Speaking of the Lavos faction, their original members were chosen to be what I would consider the signature villains of their respective time periods (after setting aside Magus from 600 AD):

• 65,000,000 BC: Azala
  • 12,000 BC: Queen Zeal
  • 600 AD: Ozzie
  • 1000 AD: Yakra XIII
  • 2300 AD: Mother Brain

The reason I did this was to help guide the game to the eventual Day of Lavos trigger, as even if one was lynched, they could potentially get a new time period out of it with Yakra's Lay Blame ability. I sort of thought players would realize this trend and eventually stop giving Ozzie a free pass even with the Mystic Army alignment flip, as he's an outright villain in the game (unlike Magus, who becomes an antihero), but I guess my assumption about how many people would know the theme was off.

I'll speak more of this in the awards, but at one point the game was looking to be a town landslide... scum had accidentally killed one of their own players with a bomb, leaving Mwil23 as their last member after KSJ was lynched. He got lucky being able to get his origin bonus from the Epoch to recruit Orca, but honestly, I'm not sure he actually needed the recruitment (other than having Orca be eliminated from teh 600 ad list to trigger 1999 AD)... no one seemed willing to vote off him anyway.

Overall I think I learned a lot from making this setup and ultimately pleased with how it played out. Also, interestingly - for those who may complain about balance in my games, this game's result leads to my games having a 4:4 town-to-scum win ratio all-time, so I feel like I'm doing something right (although I certainly wouldn't claim each game has been entirely even).

There was also a Exterminator alignment that was to be included if the game reached 21 or 22 players, which would've acted as town traitors, basically. I never finished the role cards but I had plans for their abilities which I may use in a future game:

Spoiler

Atropos
Origin: 2300 AD (Future)
2NMdmKn.png
"You are indeed defective. They have tampered with you. I'll destroy them, then fix you." - Atropos

You are aligned as an Exterminator: Prevent the Earth faction from winning the game. You are not a threat to Earth.

ROLE ABILITIES:
(In general, you may only use one of your role's abilities each night. Day Action abilities are instead used during the day, while Passive abilities are always active.)

• ???

STARTING ITEMS:
(You may use one item at night in addition to one of your role's night actions. Passive items are always active while in the inventory, and need not be used.)

• Plasma Gun (Ranged): Starts with 0 charge, recharging by 1 at the end of each night that you use no item. On use, select one of the following effects:
    • Consume 1 charge and target a player to block that player's ability (but not item) that night.
    • Consume 1 charge and target a player to block that player's attempted item use (but not ability) that night.
    • Consume 2 charge and target a player to kill that player.

ORIGIN BONUS:
(The first time the game enters your time period of origin at the end of a day, you obtain the following ability. It is not considered a part of your role until then.)

• None!

Ozzie VIII
Origin: 1000 AD (Present)
f6qngaf.png
"Oh, great Magus... why didn't you simply exterminate the human race 400 years ago?" - Ozzie VIII

You are aligned as an Exterminator: Prevent the Earth faction from winning the game. You are not a threat to Earth.

ROLE ABILITIES:
(In general, you may only use one of your role's abilities each night. Day Action abilities are instead used during the day, while Passive abilities are always active.)

• Decedent of Ozzie (Passive): If Ozzie ever dies, you are also killed.

STARTING ITEMS:
(You may use one item at night in addition to one of your role's night actions. Passive items are always active while in the inventory, and need not be used.)

• ???

ORIGIN BONUS:
(The first time the game enters your time period of origin at the end of a day, you obtain the following ability. It is not considered a part of your role until then.)

• None!

When we didn't get another player past 20, I just gave these characters to scum as fake claims.

I also had a plan for a Spekkio role that I dropped becuase I didn't like how it fit into the setup (I eventually reworked the mechanic I had intended for him as the Epoch item), but I went as far as making a custom gif for his Role PM, which again, I ended up giving to scum as a fake claim:

Spoiler

Spekkio
Origin: ∞ (End of Time)
2kMVBbN.gif
"If you're strong, I look strong. If you're weak, I look weak." - Spekkio

You are aligned as a Survivor: Survive until the end of the game. You are not a threat to Earth.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Well in my defense, I did hunt who I thought was a viable threat to me in @Deadpulse and @Ragnarok. That's kind of the beauty of a Nacho game...you can get away with it for a bit since there are other alignments.

This was actually the first scum game I've had in a VERY long time.

I had my morning all message typed up saying how, after sleeping on it, I was leaning you as Lavos cause you survived a black hole kill and we should explore that.

Oh well.  GG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I had my morning all message typed up saying how, after sleeping on it, I was leaning you as Lavos cause you survived a black hole kill and we should explore that.

Oh well.  GG

That’s about the one thing I was truthful about. My armor saved me 😂 

• Like 1