Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Again, it doesn’t mark him being a good quarterback. It just marks everyone behind him being totally incompetent. His best statistical season, he only hit 56% of his passes and almost threw more ints than tds. That isn’t the mark of the best bears qb of all time, it’s the mark of an average qb dealt a good hand 

Jay Cutler’s biggest shortcoming was a proclivity to throw interceptions in a new football era that no longer accepted it. He was a wild gunslinger after that was a desirable trait for a qb. He was a hot and cold rollercoaster of a player that had the misfortune of never having consistency for coaches, schemes, or competent receivers. Jay Cutler back then wouldve feasted and been remembered fondly despite the ints. McMahon today, well McMahon already plays today. For NYJ. 

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Again, it doesn’t mark him being a good quarterback. It just marks everyone behind him being totally incompetent. His best statistical season, he only hit 56% of his passes and almost threw more ints than tds. That isn’t the mark of the best bears qb of all time, it’s the mark of an average qb dealt a good hand 

None of his back ups could do anything with this same hand.  

Including Doug Flutie who ended up being great in Canada and really good in Buffalo.

Ditka hated McMahon and wanted to bench him all time.  

McMahon isn't exactly good.  He is good for a Bears QB.  Our QB history is terrible.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

None of his back ups could do anything with this same hand.  

Including Doug Flutie who ended up being great in Canada and really good in Buffalo.

Ditka hated McMahon and wanted to bench him all time.  

McMahon isn't exactly good.  He is good for a Bears QB.  Our QB history is terrible.    

Think we are debating the same side now. None of the backups being good doesn’t make McMahon good. Just makes him less bad than the backups. 

Jay was good and could be great at times. He was too erratic sometimes but to me he’s far and away the best qb the bears have had. The only competent one we’d have. And if we had the indomitable defense of Urlacher’s prime in the NFC championship game, he wouldve been a Super Bowl quarterback. It’s unfortunate with all the good teams we’ve put forth, we’ve never done offense and defense at the same time. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't believe McMahon was better than Cutler. I'm just saying that's what I think most Bears fans would pick & who they probably did pick in the poll you mentioned @Ty21

Oh well, it makes me hard to boast on my boy cutty whenever I can at least. 

I honestly think if Kyle Orton played for the 80s Bears they'd have 2-3 Super Bowls. Rex would have at least gotten one. Tru could have had a few.  McMahon was exciting from what replays and clips I have seen, but not good. Made of glass but thought he was bulletproof. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I honestly think if Kyle Orton played for the 80s Bears they'd have 2-3 Super Bowls. Rex would have at least gotten one. Tru could have had a few.  McMahon was exciting from what replays and clips I have seen, but not good. Made of glass but thought he was bulletproof. 

Made of glass but thought he was bulletproof.  Very well put. 

• Like 1