2023 Offseason thread

Emerica

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

Cook wants 10M+ per season

I was thinking 6M guaranteed per season with some incentives reaching 10M.

I'm sure he'll end up settling for something like that.  It's such a brutal market for RBs anyway, and then you have to factor in that nobody has the cap space this late in FA.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:07 AM, Tetsujin said:

Cook wants 10M+ per season

I was thinking 6M guaranteed per season with some incentives reaching 10M.

Hard pass if I'm Grier, tbh.

Unless he can be had for $10M on a one-year pact, maybe. Even then, though, RB is far from a need and we already have guys on the roster who frankly work better for McDaniel's offense. It's unlikely we would utilize a bell-cow back like the role Dalvin is used to, anyway, so the fit never made a ton of sense outside of the Dolphins being his childhood team.

I'd much rather spend our remaining cap space on OL help/depth (especially the interior), if anything. Dalton Risner, Ben Jones, Justin Pugh, A.J. Cann, George Fant, and Gabe Jackson are all still out there unsigned and would likely be substantial upgrades over trotting out Liam Eichenberg or Robert Jones as starters again.

I would be surprised to see us sign anyone to an annual contract worth more than $3mil at this point in Free Agency.  If we do sign someone for a big contract then that looks to me like we will be allowing Christian Wilkins to walk in 2024.  Also, I think Connor Williams will probably get a new contract although I expect it to be reasonable, maybe $1-$3 mil more annually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, Tetsujin said:

One big reason I'd like to sign Cook is because it could be disastrous if NYJ or BUF get him.

he's not going to Buffalo - makes little to no sense from a monetary or football standpoint & he almost certainly doesn't want to take carries away from his brother in his important sophomore year.

he would definitely improve the Jets though if Breece isn't ready to go. my opinion is still that I'd only be for signing him if the price is right, though.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good news!!!  Looks like Connor Williams is going to be in camp.  I’m guessing his brief non attendance at mandatory mini camp may have been about something other than contract.  Often times players fail to attend camps and always claim it’s about their contract.  It’s sometimes about them feeling they couldn’t pass a drug test since according to several players, they only get drug tested in camps or the combine unless they have failed one of these tests.

Every time I hear of a player not attending camp, especially a player that is coming off of his best season ever, I consider the drug testing possibility.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/24/connor-williams-to-report-to-dolphins-training-camp/

Edited by Swampbilly

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy Football help 

I'm in a Keeper league and have pick 1.09 and 2.01 out of a 12 team league

What should I be thinking about Achane's future? Is he a 3 down back? Do you think he can be a true starting runningback in the nfl or you all expecting a gadget? Do you think he'll get enough consistent looks for fantasy purposes at his size?

I saw a player comparison to Warrick Dunn. Warrick was the last guy that small to have a successful career. Is Achane on that level? 

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Fantasy Football help 

What should I be thinking about Achane's future? Is he a 3 down back? Do you think he can be a true starting runningback in the nfl or you all expecting a gadget? Do you think he'll get enough consistent looks for fantasy purposes at his size?

I saw a player comparison to Warrick Dunn. Warrick was the last guy that small to have a successful career. Is Achane on that level? 

I’m not sure about drafting any Dolphins RB that high.

8 hours ago, brownie man said:

Fantasy Football help 

Not sure if you are meaning to take Achane in the 1st or 2nd round, but that's way too rich, even in a keeper league.  He will hit some home runs, but there aren't any bellcow backs in this offense.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Dalvin Cook will be playing for the Jets in 2023.  He signed a 1 year deal with $7mil guaranteed and $1.6 mil in incentives.  That tells me how little our Front Office actually wanted Dalvin Cook, despite the rumors.

$7 Mil to play in NY would probably equate to $6 mil playing in FL with the lack of State Tax.  I have no issues with not signing Cook given our OLine problems and need for Cap to bring back Wilkins and possibly extend Tua.  Additionally, paying Cook $6-$7 mil a year would be about the same we will pay the 4 RB's we keep active, so it's certainly a quantity over quality thing.

Edited by Swampbilly

22 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Looks like Dalvin Cook will be playing for the Jets in 2023.  He signed a 1 year deal with $7mil guaranteed and $1.6 mil in incentives.  That tells me how little our Front Office actually wanted Dalvin Cook, despite the rumors.

$7 Mil to play in NY would probably equate to $6 mil playing in FL with the lack of State Tax.  I have no issues with not signing Cook given our OLine problems and need for Cap to bring back Wilkins and possibly extend Tua.  Additionally, paying Cook $6-$7 mil a year would be about the same we will pay the 4 RB's we keep active, so it's certainly a quantity over quality thing.

I think I saw a tweet that we never offered more than $4 million.  As a FSU fan, I love Dalvin Cook.  But the numbers don't lie in that his effectiveness has been trending downhill.  He wouldn't provide more value to this team than that.  Spend that money on another OL if they pop up, or use it to extend Wilkins.

• Like 2