Ravens OC Greg Roman steps down

TheRealMcCoy

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would this mean that?

We lost Hollywood Brown because of Roman's system. We've missed out on numerous FA WR's because of Roman's system. Our RB1 is blatantly pissed off at Roman because Roman refuses to even use him. Yeah, we were able to run the ball and keep the game close because our defense is tremendous, but we are the worst passing offense in the NFL and Roman is squarely to blame for that.

He's arguably the best run-game mind in the NFL, but his run game depends on having big bodies everywhere, which significantly hampers your passing attack because it means you have 1-2 legit passing options on every play OR defenses know you're not running the ball.

Because the offense is clearly built around Lamar Jackson and without him it honestly sucks for obvious reasons.  Most likely if he never got hurt they would still be playing in the playoffs.  Now with the OC out it gives them an out to move on from that style of offense if they want to.

Roman is a good coach but honestly he does a ton of stuff that college teams do.  And the use of the jumbo full back or HB the 49ers obviously do as well but clearly things were taken from Roman and copied at times and he brought things over that he did with Kap on the 49ers and the multiple TE sets.  

They were helped with say Orlando Brown Jr being a total steal then having to pay him little to nothing for multiple years, then he got upset with that and left and is doing great obviously still.   Ever since they let him go there has been issues on that OL, and letting certain TEs go has hurt them also but obviously the injuries have slowed them down at many different offensive positions.  But few teams could have that many RBs hurt and still be good as a running team, and they have had tons of RBs hurt the last few years.

My guess is they do not want to pay Lamar because if they did they would have already, so again it gives them an out to move to a different offense.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I really hope he hates Ron Rivera. 

If we're really trying to implement a 2-1 run approach and use Howell's legs in a good way, I feel like this would be one of the better (least crap) options of the ones we've heard so far, no?

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I would definitely say it is an indicator of the opposite. The offense had gotten stale and the scheme/personnel was becoming limiting with Jackson. If they were planning on a new QB, especially a young one, they'd be more inclined to keep the continuity on the scheme and playcalling.

Maybe but it seems if they wanted Lamar Jackson they would have paid him by now and the offense was clearly built totally around him.  Maybe Jackson was upset with the OC their but I doubt it, if he was then sure it might be a good thing.  

Just now, MikeT14 said:

If we're really trying to implement a 2-1 run approach and use Howell's legs in a good way, I feel like this would be one of the better (least crap) options of the ones we've heard so far, no?

I really have no desire to have two highly paid receivers plus a just made first round pick on receiver sitting around twiddling their thumbs as we run an archaic offense. I could be wrong but it seems like a massive waste of resources. 

I wasn't under the impression that Greg Roman was bad? I mean...Baltimore isn't my team, but it seems to me like he was pretty good. They have zero receiving talent and a QB that....(here we go)....isn't really a great thrower. They've had major injuries for the past two years and, IMO, were overachieving at times.

Like I said, I don't have a firm grasp on the Ravens offensive struggles. I do know that they've got some really cool run schemes that are innovative and really hard to stop. Baltimore, why do we hate this guy?

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

I really have no desire to have two highly paid receivers plus a just made first round pick on receiver sitting around twiddling their thumbs as we run an archaic offense. I could be wrong but it seems like a massive waste of resources. 

Maybe. Probably. I haven't looked back at Roman's history with teams having good WRs and using them. I almost feel unfair to judge that time in Baltimore.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Because the offense is clearly built around Lamar Jackson and without him it honestly sucks for obvious reasons.  Most likely if he never got hurt they would still be playing in the playoffs.  Now with the OC out it gives them an out to move on from that style of offense if they want to.

It was built around a running QB, yeah, but Lamar has openly said he wants to be a passer first and runner second. Eventually we have to be an offense that has some semblance of balance. We can't just run Lamar 15+ times/game his whole career and be an awful passing team. It's not conducive, it's proven to not work in the playoffs, and it drives away WR's.

If Lamar truly wants to play in this style of offense, he's welcome to leave and hitch his wagon to his legs and I wish him the best of luck doing that. I don't think that's the case.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Roman is a good coach but honestly he does a ton of stuff that college teams do.  And the use of the jumbo full back or HB the 49ers obviously do as well but clearly things were taken from Roman and copied at times and he brought things over that he did with Kap on the 49ers and the multiple TE sets.  

Roman's running system is great which is why generally speaking RB's and TE's love it. They feast in that system. WR's don't because they block 90% of the game and most passing plays are designed for the TE's.

Just now, Ozzy said:

they were helped with say Orlando Brown Jr being a total steal then having to pay him little to nothing for multiple years, then he got upset with that and left and is doing great obviously still.   Ever since they let him go there has been issues on that OL, and letting certain TEs go has hurt them also but obviously the injuries have slowed them down at many different offensive positions.  But few teams could have that many RBs hurt and still be good as a running team, and they have had tons of RBs hurt the last few years.

OBJ is not "doing great". He was a liability for the Chiefs last year and I think he's still pretty mediocre this year but I'll let someone like @Jakuvious speak on that. Our OL was great this year, our TE's were great this year, and when our RB's were hurt last year (and the start of this year) we weren't a good running team.

Just now, Ozzy said:

My guess is they do not want to pay Lamar because if they did they would have already, so again it gives them an out to move to a different offense.

They want to pay him, just at the right price.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but it seems if they wanted Lamar Jackson they would have paid him by now and the offense was clearly built totally around him.  Maybe Jackson was upset with the OC their but I doubt it, if he was then sure it might be a good thing.  

The offense as built is dependent on Lamar and his skills.

The offense they (the FO) were trying to build involved spending a lot of draft capital on speed on the outside, like a track team. Not saying that is entirely Roman's fault. They didn't pick the right guys, and guys got hurt, etc... But, it's a false narrative that this was the offense everyone wanted with Lamar at QB.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I wasn't under the impression that Greg Roman was bad? I mean...Baltimore isn't my team, but it seems to me like he was pretty good. They have zero receiving talent and a QB that....(here we go)....isn't really a great thrower. They've had major injuries for the past two years and, IMO, were overachieving at times.

We have zero receiving talent in part because of Roman. Hollywood Brown literally forced a trade because of this system, and no FA WR's want to play here because they wouldn't put up stats to get their next bag.

Roman's issues really come down to the following:

1. Situational play-calling - we'll be driving and then he'll call some gadget play or something and KILL the drive instantly for no reason. Happened so many times this year I lost count.
  2. Reluctance to do what's working - JK Dobbins got 13 carries despite having over 5 ypc in a playoff game featuring our backup QB. When our run game is working, Roman will sometimes (often time's, actually) go away from that for no reason.
  3. Reliance on jumbo sets to run the ball effectively - Without a FB and 2nd/3rd TE in the game, Roman's running system is really bad. This means that teams that just stack the box (like PIT did in week 16 or whatever) can all crash down for free knowing the only receiving threat is 1 TE and maybe 1 WR.
1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Like I said, I don't have a firm grasp on the Ravens offensive struggles. I do know that they've got some really cool run schemes that are innovative and really hard to stop. Baltimore, why do we hate this guy?

His passing game is among the worst designed in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:
11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How's Chicago's OC situation? lol seems like he could go there and do the same stuff with Fields.

Eberflus is an offensive guy. They're running his offense.

Matt Eberflus? The former *Defensive* Coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts? 

Not saying you’re wrong, but talk about a road less traveled for an offensive minded HC.

• Like 2