TE Talk

nicfre2011

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

That their size is fine

I mean, Baker Mayfield's size is fine and that's not in a vacuum why he sucks given Brees's success at 6'0 and Rodgers at 6'2, but it IS still a factor given the other flaws in his game.

Edited by MWil23

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Mayer is very well rounded and just "solid" at everything, but his testing left a bit to be desired in comparison with his peers...albeit it wasn't "bad testing".

I think people are falling a little too in love with the testing.  Mayer was clearly the best all around football player of this TE group last year.  No one thought Mayer was going to be an athletic freak at the combine.  Him passing all the lower thresholds that would make him an outlier is enough for me, he is still the clear TE1.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think people are falling a little too in love with the testing.  Mayer was clearly the best all around football player of this TE group last year.  No one thought Mayer was going to be an athletic freak at the combine.  Him passing all the lower thresholds that would make him an outlier is enough for me, he is still the clear TE1.

Not disagreeing :) 

That said, I think it's worth taking into consideration the depth of the class and whether or not you feel as though you can draft someone "90% as good" later per value elsewhere...or if a project guy gives you value there and potential upside that's better down the road (ala Washington for example).

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not disagreeing :) 

That said, I think it's worth taking into consideration the depth of the class and whether or not you feel as though you can draft someone "90% as good" later per value elsewhere...or if a project guy gives you value there and potential upside that's better down the road (ala Washington for example).

The problem is, I don't think you will be able to wait too long.  TE's I can see going between 20-55

Mayer
Musgrave
Kincaid
Washington
LaPorta

If you want to take a swing at athletic upside with guys like Craft and Kuntz, or a solid all around TE like Schoonmaker, you still probably have to do that in round 3.  I can see 8-9 TE's going in the first three rounds very easily.  After Mayer at 1, I can see arguments for having any of the next 5 guys in any order.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

The problem is, I don't think you will be able to wait too long.  TE's I can see going between 20-55

Mayer
Musgrave
Kincaid
Washington
LaPorta

If you want to take a swing at athletic upside with guys like Craft and Kuntz, or a solid all around TE like Schoonmaker, you still probably have to do that in round 3.  I can see 8-9 TE's going in the first three rounds very easily.  After Mayer at 1, I can see arguments for having any of the next 5 guys in any order.

Not disagreeing with any of that, but I'm speaking more or less to the weaknesses in other areas.

So, let's hypothetically say that you are the Steelers (gross) and can get any of them at pick #17. You instead draft Nolan Smith OR Jordan Addison, while still having picks 33 and 49 to get your TE, feeling as though while you might "miss" on Mayer, Addison is likely the 2nd/3rd best WR in a very weak class, and Nolan Smith is one of the better players available there at that spot in a pretty weak EDGE type class.

To me, I'd rather have:

Nolan Smith/Addison

AND

Washington/LaPorta/Kincaid/Musgrave

than

Mayer

AND

EDGE FELIX ANUDIKE-UZOMAH, KANSAS STATE/DT Mazi Smith from Michigan, EDGE

Edited by MWil23

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not disagreeing with any of that, but I'm speaking more or less to the weaknesses in other areas.

So, let's hypothetically say that you are the Steelers (gross) and can get any of them at pick #17. You instead draft Nolan Smith OR Jordan Addison, while still having picks 33 and 49 to get your TE, feeling as though while you might "miss" on Mayer, Addison is likely the 2nd/3rd best WR in a very weak class, and Nolan Smith is one of the better players available there at that spot in a pretty weak EDGE type class.

To me, I'd rather have:

Nolan Smith/Addison

AND

then

Mayer

AND

This is unrelated to your point but if the Steelers go EDGE r1 and then TE r2 I'm going to be very upset

I also don't really agree that this is a weak EDGE class, if anything I think it's deeper than TE if not maybe as top heavy, but again, I know that this is completely unrelated to your point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To me, I'd rather have:

Nolan Smith/Addison

AND

then

Mayer

AND

If you have multiple picks in that 20-55 range and need a TE, you're fine.  That's all of about 2 teams though.  They won't fall far.

44 minutes ago, rackcs said:

This is unrelated to your point but if the Steelers go EDGE r1 and then TE r2 I'm going to be very upset

Yeah totally using them as an example. I could also have used someone like the Detroit Lions as one, which may actually be a better example after trading Hockenson.

44 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I also don't really agree that this is a weak EDGE class, if anything I think it's deeper than TE if not maybe as top heavy, but again, I know that this is completely unrelated to your point.

Agree to disagree. I actually don't love too many of these guys as EDGE rushers, although I like some of these guys as JAM/7 high value run stoppers.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't disagree with the first, but I don't think the like between Mayer and Washington was that big even before the combine.  And for Musgrave, he missed most of the season, and IMO, looked fantastic before he was out.  Him being more athletic than Mayer makes a big difference because in a whole season, he might have been playing on par with Mayer.

And Washington just gives you something you can't get anywhere else.  He's one of a kind.

Kincaid was already a better weapon than Mayer too, so for teams just looking for that, I think it makes sense for him to be above Mayer too.

All four of the top guys are studs, and I think it's a pick your poison type group.