TE Talk

nicfre2011

I would like to get opinions on Oregon State TE Luke Musgrave. I have heard some comparisons to Travis Kelce from a size and athleticism standpoint. Obviously Kelce is a future HOF and one of the best to ever play TE, but it got me thinking about life after Kelce for the Chiefs.

So much of what we do offensively is through Kelce and while it might seem like a luxury pick (considering our projected needs at other premium positions such as OT, EDGE, and WR), but the thought of adding a dynamic weapon like Musgrave to serve as understudy to Kelce is intriguing to say the least and could be worth considering. The opportunity to learn route running, coverage recognition, etc from Kelce could really help Musgrave to tap into his potential. Thoughts on Musgrave? Any other takes or discussions on tight ends are welcome.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I would like to get opinions on Oregon State TE Luke Musgrave. I have heard some comparisons to Travis Kelce from a size and athleticism standpoint. Obviously Kelce is a future HOF and one of the best to ever play TE, but it got me thinking about life after Kelce for the Chiefs.

So much of what we do offensively is through Kelce and while it might seem like a luxury pick (considering our projected needs at other premium positions such as OT, EDGE, and WR), but the thought of adding a dynamic weapon like Musgrave to serve as understudy to Kelce is intriguing to say the least and could be worth considering. The opportunity to learn route running, coverage recognition, etc from Kelce could really help Musgrave to tap into his potential. Thoughts on Musgrave? Any other takes or discussions on tight ends are welcome.

Dalton Kincaid... last name starts with a K like Kelce and Kittle, will also turn 24 in October just as Kelce and Kittle did their rookie years making all three October Libras. Trust the universe. There is your next big TE.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Dalton Kincaid... last name starts with a K like Kelce and Kittle, will also turn 24 in October just as Kelce and Kittle did their rookie years making all three October Libras. Trust the universe. There is your next big TE.

how much a month to subscribe to this scouting service, I just checked Brock Purdy to test...  Carson Palmer born December 27, 1979... Brock Purdy born December 27, 1999... Jake Plummer born December 19, 1974... Jim Plunkett born December 5, 1947.  Sagittarius for Plunkett and Plummer, and Capricorn for promising Palmer and Purdy. Like Palmer the Capricorn is showing a fast start to his career! The exact birthday should have shown his greatness and obviously he should have gone 1st overall instead of last overall in retrospect just as Carson did.

edit: I just realized this was the TE thread, I am editing in the obvious that Michael Mayer looks good and should be a 1st - 2nd selection and well roundded, whereas Darnell Washington is a giant and going to also be in that range unless a team really values his size and potential as unique enough to go even higher. It's a good to great TE class and last years was as well.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

how much a month to subscribe to this scouting service, I just checked Brock Purdy to test...  Carson Palmer born December 27, 1979... Brock Purdy born December 27, 1999... Jake Plummer born December 19, 1974... Jim Plunkett born December 5, 1947.  Sagittarius for Plunkett and Plummer, and Capricorn for promising Palmer and Purdy. Like Palmer the Capricorn is showing a fast start to his career! The exact birthday should have shown his greatness and obviously he should have gone 1st overall instead of last overall in retrospect just as Carson did.

Duh but I only dabble in this practice with TE’s...  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

He's my favorite TE in the draft as well. 

• Like 2

A few categories potentially to put the TEs into, but clearly there are four top guys and these are the four.

Michael Mayer Notre Dame JR
Tucker Kraft South Dakota State RS SOPH
Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Darnell Washington Georgia JR

Washington is the best blocker by far, Mayer is good but will be curious how he runs, seems a little stumpy with his length but is aggressive after the catch.  Kincaid had a great year and is apparently a great athlete so teams will love that.  Kraft might be the most complete TE, might be more athletic and just as tough as Mayer and might be a better blocker but we will see.  Washington has come on as a pass catcher, not just a blocker like he was early in his career, and obviously DBs struggle to get him down at that massive size but he is not super fast.  Teams want that athletic TE who can get YAC and play aggressively, if they run good routes, are agile and are physical after the catch they are almost unstoppable similar to Kittle and Kelce.  

Best blocking TEs:

Johnny Lumpkin Louisiana RS

Best YAC TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Travis Vokolek Nebraska RS
Zach Kuntz Old Dominion RS JR
Brayden Willis Oklahoma RS
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Mason Fairchild Kansas

Most all around TEs:

Luke Schoonmaker Michigan
Zach Heins South Dakota State
Nate Adkins South Carolina

Most athletic TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Travis Vokolek Nebraska RS
Princeton Fant Tennessee RS
Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 
Davis Allen Clemson 
Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR
Keon Zipperer Florida

Best High point catching TEs

Payne Durham Purdue RS 
Zach Kuntz Old Dominion RS JR
Davis Allen Clemson 
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 
Zach Heins South Dakota State
Johnny Lumpkin Louisiana RS

Best Route Running TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Sam LaPorta Iowa 
Cameron Latu Alabama RS 
Will Mallory Miami FL RS 
Luke Schoonmaker Michigan

HB types potentially:

Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Hunter Luepke NDSU 
Nate Adkins South Carolina
Keon Zipperer Florida

Fastest TEs potentially:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Keon Zipperer Florida
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 

• Like 1

For me, it's 1. Mayer, 2. Washington. 3. Kincaid.

Mayer does it all, and is a top level tight end.  Washington has the potential to be special because they just don't make them his size.  He blocks well, and is a decent receiver.  Figure out how to develop his abilities as a receiver and you'll have a crazy weapon.  Kincaid is a dynamic passing option already.

After that, there's a significant drop off, although Musgrave and the ND kid are on my list to look at.  I need to spend more time looking at Latu as well.  I like both Penn State TEs, Strange and Johnson, more than any others in the class after the top three myself.  Johnson is an excellent blocker, but Strange has better hands.

Princeton Fant from Tennessee is a decent sleeper.  Athletic, should test well, didn't get a ton of looks in Tennessee's system, but versatile.  Stover from Ohio St. is a little overrated.

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:
On 1/22/2023 at 9:58 AM, Scoundrel said:

He's my favorite TE in the draft as well. 

I think he's basically Goedert as a prospect. Like him a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

I think he's basically Goedert as a prospect. Like him a lot.

Not sure he is the same because Goedert is massive, listed at 6-5 but with his length is like 6-7ish and he was a more all around TE and a much better blocker than Kincaid is.

Kincaid did take off once Kuithe got hurt though but he is a little undersized, 6-4 and what might measure out at 6-3.  

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For me, it's 1. Mayer, 2. Washington. 3. Kincaid.

Mayer does it all, and is a top level tight end.  Washington has the potential to be special because they just don't make them his size.  He blocks well, and is a decent receiver.  Figure out how to develop his abilities as a receiver and you'll have a crazy weapon.  Kincaid is a dynamic passing option already.

After that, there's a significant drop off, although Musgrave and the ND kid are on my list to look at.  I need to spend more time looking at Latu as well.  I like both Penn State TEs, Strange and Johnson, more than any others in the class after the top three myself.  Johnson is an excellent blocker, but Strange has better hands.

Princeton Fant from Tennessee is a decent sleeper.  Athletic, should test well, didn't get a ton of looks in Tennessee's system, but versatile.  Stover from Ohio St. is a little overrated.

Zach Kuntz was hurt all year, if he was not he would be talked about a lot more.  Was a beast on Penn State and when he transferred he really took off, he has massive upside if he is healthy and is really tall.  Johnson on Penn State went back to school I believe, I also think Stover did as well.  

Sam LaPorta is very good and really knows how to get open and run routes.  Travis Vokolek is a sleeper, massive dude that is built well and had a breakout year despite getting hurt more than once, he was impressive after the catch.  Payne Durham can simply catch the football and make good contested grabs.  Ezeike is very raw but super talent, big hands long arms.  Davis Allen has good size and really broke out this year as well, same with Schoonmaker and Willis, Willis was great after contact and is a big smaller but can make big plays and is physical after the catch.  

There are a lot of guys who could do well in the league, not to mention Mallory who is a very solid pass catching TE, Langan who was a wild cat QB at times, Whyle who is tall and fast for a TE.  Fairchild made plays this year for Kansas and Heins on South Dakota State filled in very well when Kraft was out and is super tall.  And I love Nate Adkins, he really came on late in the year and was super productive for South Carolina and is tough.

I love Fant, he could be a real weapon at HB and I agree he was not used much on Tennessee.  

• Like 1

It would be an even deeper class but these guys all returned to school.  Surprised by Kuithe and really for Spann-Ford who could have easily been a mid round pick, had a good season.  Wiley was probably a 6th or 7th rounder but the dude is massive and played well this year, Yassmin is raw but talented and Warren I really liked even though he was not used a ton.  I guess they all made a good choice because this years class is so deep.

Brant Kuithe Utah RS
Brevyn Spann-Ford Minnesota RS
Erick All Iowa RS
Jared Wiley TCU RS
Jacob Warren Tennessee RS
Thomas Yassmin Utah