91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bengals
    • Chiefs
    • America
    • Carl Cheffers… please not Cheffers

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How does a loss impact Mahomes legacy?

Chiefs fan (so clearly I'm biased). What in your estimation is his legacy right now? I think he's had the best career start of a QB in the salary cap era. I think his legacy goes from best in the Era to still-HOF worthy career start with some however minor faults, even with that, the injury muddies the waters.

Just now, jimmyjohns said:

Chiefs fan (so clearly I'm biased). What in your estimation is his legacy right now? I think he's had the best career start of a QB in the salary cap era. I think his legacy goes from best in the Era to still-HOF worthy career start with some however minor faults, even with that, the injury muddies the waters.

Obviously Mahomes is great and already has a Super Bowl but if he comes up short again at the hands of Burrow that will mean he has been knocked out by Burrow/Brady in 4/5 seasons so there has to be some questions at least about his ability to win on the biggest stages.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously Mahomes is great and already has a Super Bowl but if he comes up short again at the hands of Burrow that will mean he has been knocked out by Burrow/Brady in 4/5 seasons so there has to be some questions at least about his ability to win on the biggest stages.

Honest question - Do you think 2020 and 2021 added to Rodgers legacy or tarnished it?

Second honest question I just thought of - How much do you hold Tom Brady's 2005 - 2013 against him? Specifically 2007?

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

LeBron has 4 championships and still gets criticized for all of his losses in the finals.

Lebron only gets criticized for that when people are comparing him to MJ. Which will likely be the same for Mahomes when his career is done unless he can catch TB. There's nothing wrong with not being the literal greatest of all time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don’t think it does at all - his initial success set the bar so incredibly high, even a few hits will bring it down a bit, but it’s still a HoF trajectory.

Dan Marino did less at this point in his career - and didn’t exactly win from this point in his career onwards - but nobody really questioned his validity, he was a walking HoFer in a golden age of QBs.

Mahomes is no different, really… except he’s accomplished more.

• Like 3

LeBron has 4 championships and still gets criticized for all of his losses in the finals.

NBA isn't really comparable in that regard though, is it? 5 man starting rosters make the stars far more individually influential, and it makes it far easier to keep teams together long term. Long form dynasties are far more the norm in the NBA than the NFL as a result. You have what, a dozen QBs with multiple superbowl rings in NFL history? The NBA has a few dozen players with 4+ championships. Basically anyone on the 90s Bulls, 60s Celtics, 00s Lakers, even the recent Warriors, will have more NBA championships than any QB in NFL history except for Brady. LeBron having 4 rings only seems like a knock because the competition is Curry with 4 and Duncan with 5 and Kobe with 5 and Jordan with 6 and Kareem with 6 and Russell with 11. If there were QBs with that many rings, then Mahomes only having 1 at 27 would be close to being a problem. Already though, only 12 QBs have more rings than Mahomes. Only 4 guys have more than 2, and no one actually thinks that makes Bradshaw or Aikman truly top QBs of all-time. So he only really needs that many rings to chase Montana and Brady, anyway.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I dont think it does. At the end of the day he still has a SB ring and loads of playoff success. Him losing to Burrow while trying to tough it out with an injury that would keep him out multiple weeks in the regular season shouldn’t change anything 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mahomes has the highest winning percentage in the postseason of any QB in NFL history to start more than 10 playoff games. He's currently tied with Bart Starr for 12th in NFL history in career playoff wins. Admittedly, a loss against Cincy would drop him down in win percentage with the likes of Kurt Warner and Joe Montana, but I think that's still pretty good. So really no concern of the bold.

Turns out, it's really hard to keep beating the best teams in football. Even Brady, as unbelievable as his career has been, has ended his season on a loss 14 times. It is the norm.

• Like 1