Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

Super reasonable deal for Slayton. That's the best free agent WR deal so far this offseason, IMO. I'd much, much rather have Slayton at 6 per year than Juju, Meyers, or Lazard at 11. Hell, if all the contracts were equal, I'm not sure I'd take any of those guys over Slayton. Definitely wouldn't take Meyers or Lazard over him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Is that enough or do you use 25 on a Flowers/Johnston/Njigba?

I don’t think it will change our approach. We still need a number 1, and all these contracts are short term. It just doesn’t force a WR if they aren’t BPA.

• Like 1

While I do think there are a few better receivers in this year's draft, Zay Flowers really fits the mold for what Schoen and Daboll seem to like in receivers. He's short, but he's cut up.

These recent WR moves allow us to not have to reach for a guy at 25, but a WR in 25 is still very much in play.

I think if we want an easy, home run pick, we just take John Michael-Schmitz at 25 and be done with it. Plug and play, plus starter day 1 at a position we don't currently even have a starter.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

While I do think there are a few better receivers in this year's draft, Zay Flowers really fits the mold for what Schoen and Daboll seem to like in receivers. He's short, but he's cut up.

These recent WR moves allow us to not have to reach for a guy at 25, but a WR in 25 is still very much in play.

I think if we want an easy, home run pick, we just take John Michael-Schmitz at 25 and be done with it. Plug and play, plus starter day 1 at a position we don't currently even have a starter.

Looking at the consensus big board, it may be better to go with a Cornerback such as Cam Smith or Kelee Ringo, and get the center on round 2.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Looking at the consensus big board, it may be better to go with a Cornerback such as Cam Smith or Kelee Ringo, and get the center on round 2.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

Yeah, Schmitz right now is a reach on the consensus board. Us picking him though would be very similar to when the Cowboys picked Travis Frederick in the first round. That was a reach on the consensus board, but as a center prospect, there were no concerns about his game and he went on to have a great career. John Michael Schmitz is very similar in that way. There are no concerns about his game or him as a prospect.

I've said this before on this board too, but there are starting center prospects up and down this draft. There may be 6 plug and play centers, so you could even get one in the 4th. I still don't think that would make JMS a bad pick though.