Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

Am I crazy for thinking Nuk just isn't that good anymore? He's 31 years old and hasn't produced in 2 years. I wouldn't trade for him. His cap number this year is like $30 million for the Cardinals. How much would an acquiring team take on? And then you have to give up draft assets too? Nah.

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Am I crazy for thinking Nuk just isn't that good anymore? He's 31 years old and hasn't produced in 2 years. I wouldn't trade for him. His cap number this year is like $30 million for the Cardinals. How much would an acquiring team take on? And then you have to give up draft assets too? Nah.

He was hurt last year and suspended this year. Yards/game he ranked 10. Giants would take on about $20M, but he wants a new deal anyway. I agree it isn’t the best decision.

• Like 1

Could Giants QB Daniel Jones be seeking $45M or more annually? (msn.com)

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that Jones is “possibly” seeking significantly more than originally anticipated — an astronomical $45 million annually or more.

So what does Jones want? There are two possibilities. One, he’s willing to do a deal for less than CAA was willing to accept. Two, he wants more than CAA was able to get.

As one source explained it, it’s the latter. Jones wants more than the Giants have offered. Possibly as much as $45 million per year, or more.

Granted it's Florio and "possibly" seeking but if this is true... where you at on this? 

35-38 is my cutoff. If $45 million is a hard number for him then tag and trade or let him walk. Tyrod can run the offense for one season and get our guy in the next draft. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Granted it's Florio and "possibly" seeking but if this is true... where you at on this? 

35-38 is my cutoff. If $45 million is a hard number for him then tag and trade or let him walk. Tyrod can run the offense for one season and get our guy in the next draft. 

It’s all bargaining through sources. They’ll come to the middle agreement. If somehow he is stuck on that, we franchise him and restructure Leonard and Adoree. Nagler’s words are “lotta ballgame left”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'm the same as you on this. I'm high on DJ the ability and leadership he displayed this season. But the lack of strong TD and yardage numbers rightfully keeps him from $40m/year. I can't imagine anyone giving him $40m+ that this point in his career. 

• Like 1

According to ESPN's Jeff Darlington on Tuesday's Get Up, sources have indicated that the Giants plan to work on long-term contract extensions with both Jones and Barkley leading up to the March 7 deadline for teams to use their franchise tags.

Darlington noted the Giants are going "back to square one" with Jones in terms of negotiations since he recently changed agents, but he added that it "doesn't mean that anything's going bad with the negotiation."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066344-nfl-rumors-giants-dont-want-to-use-franchise-tag-on-daniel-jones-saquon-barkley

• Like 1

Rumors from the Super Bowl are that the Giants are going to walk away from Saquon. As much as I like him, that is the prudent move, especially if he wants around $16 million a year. This free agent RB class is stacked, as is this upcoming draft class. It is very much a team-favored RB market right now. You can replicate his production for much less money than you'll have to pay him. I'd take the $12.5 million AAV I offered him, tell him good luck, and that the offer will still be there if he doesn't get what he's looking for on the open market.

48 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Rumors from the Super Bowl are that the Giants are going to walk away from Saquon. As much as I like him, that is the prudent move, especially if he wants around $16 million a year. This free agent RB class is stacked, as is this upcoming draft class. It is very much a team-favored RB market right now. You can replicate his production for much less money than you'll have to pay him. I'd take the $12.5 million AAV I offered him, tell him good luck, and that the offer will still be there if he doesn't get what he's looking for on the open market.

What’s the source of these rumors? I saw something from Billy Spikes, but of course I couldn’t trace it back.

Yea 12.5 is fair value. Puts him in that Cook/Henry/Mixon/Jones tier. Only three guys make more then that and although I love SB and hope he resigns he just isn't worth that much. And TBH neither is CMC, Kamara, and Zeke.

What team would even pay him 16M? Chicago/Atlanta maybe?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What’s the source of these rumors? I saw something from Billy Spikes, but of course I couldn’t trace it back.

Sam and Steve from PFF mentioned on one of their podcasts that they talked to people at the Super Bowl and that was what they said.

Billy Spikes also sourced a Paul Schwartz article from Saturday that said Saquon was 'likely' to reach the open market.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Sam and Steve from PFF mentioned on one of their podcasts that they talked to people at the Super Bowl and that was what they said.

Billy Spikes also sourced a Paul Schwartz article from Saturday that said Saquon was 'likely' to reach the open market.

I couldn’t find it in the article, though I know the beat has mentioned it as possibility.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/18/saquon-barkley-decision-looms-over-giants-offseason-plans/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

Just ran a mock draft with the PFF simulator. I came away with Joey Porter Jr, Jalin Hyatt, Drew Sanders, Tyjae Spears, Andrew Vorhees, Juice Scruggs, and Mohamed Ibrahim in my first few picks. That's 4 instant starters (Porter Jr at CB2, Spears at RB1 [assuming Barkley leaves], Vorhees at LG, and Scruggs at C), 2 high potential developmental guys who would be role players year 1 (Sanders at LB and Hyatt at WR), and a talented depth piece (Ibrahim). Hyatt would replace Slayton, but he needs to learn to run actual routes. His speed is undeniable though.

The draft won't turn out that way, but I'd be pretty happy if it did.

• Like 1