Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

I'm down for Jalin Hyatt at 25. Take those plays we ran last year with Marcus Johnson functioning solely as a clear out running a 9, except substitute in Jalin Hyatt and make him an actual receiving option on those plays. That could be fun.

The one downside with Hyatt is that the dude does not know how to run actual routes. He was basically a track star playing football at Tennessee. He's so damn fast though.

Some other fast guys I really like are Tank Dell from Houston and Tyler Scott from Cincinnati. They are also so damn fast.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-giants-eyeing-daniel-jones-replacement-in-the-draft/ar-AA17RKNL

The 25-year-old Hooker, who’s projected to be taken in the second or third round, had a breakout season at the University of Tennessee before he suffered a season-ending ACL injury in mid-November.

He led a Vols offense that averaged an NCAA-best 47.3 points and 538.1 yards of total offense per game while passing for 3,235 yards, 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions. At the time of his injury, Hooker ranked second in the FBS in passer rating, eighth in completion percentage, tied for 14th in touchdown passes and 22nd in passing yards.

New York has the No. 57 overall pick in the second round, which is right around where Hooker is projected to be drafted.

Thoughts? I saw these Hooker rumors going round Twitter yesterday. Worth taking in the 2nd round to give Dabs another option if Jones doesn't work out? HH seems to be a nice mix of size and speed assuming the ACL didn't sap his speed.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

25. Jalin Hyatt | WR | Tennessee

57. Cody Mauch | OL | North Dakota State

89. Daiyan Henley | LB | Washington State

100. Julius Brents | CB | Kansas State

128. Jarrett Patterson | iOL | Notre Dame

162. Dorian Thompson-Robinson | QB | UCLA

Hyatt don’t run routes well. He doesn’t fit this offense. 

24 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-giants-eyeing-daniel-jones-replacement-in-the-draft/ar-AA17RKNL

Thoughts? I saw these Hooker rumors going round Twitter yesterday. Worth taking in the 2nd round to give Dabs another option if Jones doesn't work out? HH seems to be a nice mix of size and speed assuming the ACL didn't sap his speed.

I have never seen him play, but I don’t think the Giants should be using their second round pick on a rookie who is going to miss most of his rookie season and is less than a year younger than Jones.

14 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I have never seen him play, but I don’t think the Giants should be using their second round pick on a rookie who is going to miss most of his rookie season and is less than a year younger than Jones.

I mostly agree but apparently according to that article the Giants "met extensively" with Hooker. My guess is Dabs figures with him being a little older he's more developed and ready to take over an NFL offense. I watched a couple of Tennessee games this season and the kid can def ball out. Could be a real possibility.

Last two seasons combined close to 70% completion, 58 passing TDs, 5 INTs, over 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's. Seems like the kind of prospect Dabs would drool over lol

35 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I mostly agree but apparently according to that article the Giants "met extensively" with Hooker. My guess is Dabs figures with him being a little older he's more developed and ready to take over an NFL offense. I watched a couple of Tennessee games this season and the kid can def ball out. Could be a real possibility.

Last two seasons combined close to 70% completion, 58 passing TDs, 5 INTs, over 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's. Seems like the kind of prospect Dabs would drool over lol

I don't think it's about replacing Jones. If Hooker falls to the 3rd-4th round, I could see them drafting him as a back-up QB for when Tyrod's contract expires.

I wouldn't take Hooker in the 2nd; his age and injury kind of makes the 2nd half of day 2 the highest he will be drafted. At that point though, I'd take a flyer on him. We have 2 later 3rd round picks. I'm all for taking chances on talented QBs in the middle rounds. I think you should take one almost every year. Hooker definitely fits that mold. Like I said, his age and injury are the reasons he won't be taken early. On the field, the guy can play. If he were 21 and healthy, he'd be up in that group with the rest of the top QB prospects this year with Young/Richardson/Stroud/Levis.

^ I hear you. But I can't shake this gut feeling this is Dabs guy. If he is there at 57 I think they are pulling the trigger on him. And not for a backup either. I don't see them "meeting extensively" with a backup prospect. I think they tag DJ and Hooker is their future plan.