Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If the fans and ownership would not care, is the best move to let both DJ and Saquon walk, tank this year, then draft Caleb Williams/Drake Maye next year? For the long term prospects of the Giants, it probably is.

There’s been a ton of news today. Now that the combine is here, lots is going to happen.

Tanking is so hard to actually do. We were terrible for 10 years and didn’t get the #1 pick once.  A lot can change in a year for the draft. Look at mocks from last year. It changes so quickly.Our best move is to sign Jones to a contract with lots of outs and continuing searching for the QBOTF. They aren’t always there at the #1 pick.

• Like 1

Just now, Acgott said:

There’s been a ton of news today. Now that the combine is here, lots is going to happen.

Tanking is so hard to actually do. We were terrible for 10 years and didn’t get the #1 pick once.  A lot can change in a year for the draft. Look at mocks from last year. It changes so quickly.Our best move is to sign Jones to a contract with lots of outs and continuing searching for the QBOTF. They aren’t always there at the #1 pick.

You're definitely right, but at an objective, 10,000 foot view, it is hard to see the best path forward for the Giants. Teams operate within a "Super Bowl window", and the window isn't even in view for us yet, yet we won 9 games and a playoff game last year. There are so many holes across this roster, but it is a super hard sell to make moves that would obviously lead towards regression. It is such a difficult situation to navigate.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

You're definitely right, but at an objective, 10,000 foot view, it is hard to see the best path forward for the Giants. Teams operate within a "Super Bowl window", and the window isn't even in view for us yet, yet we won 9 games and a playoff game last year. There are so many holes across this roster, but it is a super hard sell to make moves that would obviously lead towards regression. It is such a difficult situation to navigate.

I agree, we are sitting at that .500 window. Hopefully Scheon is a great GM and Daboll a great HC. Build pieces all around and hopefully we get lucky with a quarterback. If not, we will be back at the top 5 soon enough.

7 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I agree, we are sitting at that .500 window. Hopefully Scheon is a great GM and Daboll a great HC. Build pieces all around and hopefully we get lucky with a quarterback. If not, we will be back at the top 5 soon enough.

I think this is an especially important year to take a shot at a mid round QB. Hendon Hooker or Malik Cunningham should be a Giant next year. I know we have a ton of holes, but I'm willing to use a mid-round pick on a lottery ticket in our position.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think this is an especially important year to take a shot at a mid round QB. Hendon Hooker or Malik Cunningham should be a Giant next year. I know we have a ton of holes, but I'm willing to use a mid-round pick on a lottery ticket in our position.

Absolutely. We are going to have 12 picks this year. Package some up in the later rounds and use to move up.

• Like 1

Schoen at the combine said he has had productive conversations with DJ's agents, and he will be here next year (so that means deal or tag, no other option). He's also talking with agents representing Leonard Williams, Nick Gates, and Jon Feliciano this week. Leonard Williams no doubt for an extension to lower his insane $32 million cap hit this year and keep him with Dexy for a while, and Gates and Scumbag for depth/starting opps.

Looks like Schoen is just planning on running it back + this year's draft picks and whatever they happen to do in free agency. With all this spending on our own guys, I expect us to be moderately quiet in FA, but definitely not as quiet as last year.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Schoen at the combine said he has had productive conversations with DJ's agents, and he will be here next year (so that means deal or tag, no other option). He's also talking with agents representing Leonard Williams, Nick Gates, and Jon Feliciano this week. Leonard Williams no doubt for an extension to lower his insane $32 million cap hit this year and keep him with Dexy for a while, and Gates and Scumbag for depth/starting opps.

Looks like Schoen is just planning on running it back + this year's draft picks and whatever they happen to do in free agency. With all this spending on our own guys, I expect us to be moderately quiet in FA, but definitely not as quiet as last year.

Leonard is the most interesting to me. How many teams tie big money to two defensive tackles. If it’s not a team friendly deal, we may want to play it out. $32M is big to swallow, but we can make it up with extensions to Dex and Adoree if needed.

7 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Leonard is the most interesting to me. How many teams tie big money to two defensive tackles. If it’s not a team friendly deal, we may want to play it out. $32M is big to swallow, but we can make it up with extensions to Dex and Adoree if needed.

Dan Duggan keeps bringing up Grady Jarrett's deal that he signed recently. He signed a 3 year, $50 million extension last year with $34 million gtd. They're similar players, similar ages. I'd be down for something like that for Leo.

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Dan Duggan keeps bringing up Grady Jarrett's deal that he signed recently. He signed a 3 year, $50 million extension last year with $34 million gtd. They're similar players, similar ages. I'd be down for something like that for Leo.

Agreed. That seems fair, we’ll see if he goes for it.

• Like 1

Kenny Golladay landing spots: Giants to release wide receiver after new league year, per report - CBSSports.com

Now 29 years old, it will be interesting to see if Golladay can resurrect his career with another club. He wasn't given any favorable treatment under first-year head coach Brian Daboll, as Golladay made just four starts in 2022 and played more than 43 percent of offensive snaps just twice all year. 

"It's a bad contract, and they inherited Kenny," a league source told Pro Football Network in September. "Brian and Joe (Schoen) aren't going to just play a guy because he makes a lot of money. He's not their guy. They're playing their guys. It is what it is."

Thoughts? Sounds like Shoen just wants to rid himself of the DG contract now and not have it effect 2024. He rather take the full hit this year. Won't lie I had big hopes for KG but his separation stats are undeniable. Releasing him is the right move. But eating his full cap this season? Discuss....

Didnt see we had a KG thread open. My bad.

Edited by Shockwave

15 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Kenny Golladay landing spots: Giants to release wide receiver after new league year, per report - CBSSports.com

Thoughts? Sounds like Shoen just wants to rid himself of the DG contract now and not have it effect 2024. He rather take the full hit this year. Won't lie I had big hopes for KG but his separation stats are undeniable. Releasing him is the right move. But eating his full cap this season? Discuss....

Didnt see we had a KG thread open. My bad.

It’s not official if we will make him a June 1st cut or not. I’ll rather just cut him now and use the $6.7M in FA. We aren’t starving for money this year. Why push dead cap to ‘24 when we don’t have to.

• Like 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/b-j-ojulari-joining-azeez-115555250.html?src=rss

B.J., who at 20 is two years younger than his brother, has met with the Giants and told reporters on Tuesday that meeting went “very well.”

“If I end up with him, it’s going to be a blessing to play with my brother [Azeez] again,” B.J. said. “He’s like a mentor to me. I lean on him a lot.”

B.J. is almost a carbon copy of Azeez at 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds. He likens his style to that of Philadelphia’s Hassan Reddick, a player that has intrigued the Giants in the past.

If he's on the board in the 2nd or 3rd do you take him? Gives Wink a nasty rotation with Thibs, Azeez, and BJ coming off that edge.