Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

It is stacked. I say Bijan at 25 because he is widely regarded as the best RB prospect since Saquon, so you can assume the drop off in talent would be minimal, and drafting a RB in the first gives you that valuable 5th year option. I'm starting to come around to the idea that taking a RB prospect like Bijan in the second half of the first round is actually a good idea. You don't want to pay RBs, so you need them on their rookie contracts. Rookie contracts for 25th overall picks are low, plus you still get the 5th year. 

The 5th year option why it makes more sense with a non-RB. Running backs have the lowest franchise tag of all positions, so it’s easier to keep them.

13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I kinda agree in spirit but RB's are a dime a dozen. Need to get Jones some targets. Hoping Quentin Johnston somehow falls to us. Dude is the total package. Size and speed. Give DJ someone he can trust will come down with it. 

I'm actually not a huge fan of Quentin Johnston. I don't like his short area quickness, which is the trait that scares DBs. Look at how Tank Dell from Houston breaks at the top of his routes. The guy instantly creates 4 yards of separation every time. It is insane. I want someone like that.

39 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm actually not a huge fan of Quentin Johnston. I don't like his short area quickness, which is the trait that scares DBs. Look at how Tank Dell from Houston breaks at the top of his routes. The guy instantly creates 4 yards of separation every time. It is insane. I want someone like that.

Interesting. Scouting reports I've read on him that praise his speed and quickness and explosiveness off the snap. Biggest knocks seem to be he struggles with press coverage a bit and he gets dinged up.

Problem with grabbing a guy like Dell instead is DJ has nobody out there of notable size to put up a high ball too aside from TE's. Golladay was supposed to be that guy. You have Robinson, Slayton and potentially Shep to fill that slippery slot role (depending on how contracts work out). A big speedy guy like Johnston can get downfield and go up for a jump ball would be a big edition to the passing game. Hodgins is good size but Johnston is much quicker.

Edited by Shockwave

How much they sign Isaiah Hodgins for?  Got a steal there he is a promising WR with good size, or maybe he just played great against the Vikings, dude destroyed them twice but they do have crap corners on the team so there is that.

Still good signing by the Giants with Hodgins.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

How much they sign Isaiah Hodgins for?  Got a steal there he is a promising WR with good size, or maybe he just played great against the Vikings, dude destroyed them twice but they do have crap corners on the team so there is that.

Still good signing by the Giants with Hodgins.  

Hodgins, 24, will return on a one-year minimum-salary contract after he made 42 catches for 459 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games last season, including the playoffs. Exclusive rights free agents (any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract) such as Hodgins are forbidden from negotiating with other teams as long as their current team offers the minimum ($825,000 in this case). 

Kind of early to be making definitive draft statements like this, but I feel pretty confident about this one- as long as he's healthy and checks out during the pre-draft process, there is no reason Jaxon Smith-Njigba shouldn't be the best WR from this draft and should 100% be the pick if he is available at 25. Don't overthink these incredibly talented, savvy Ohio State WRs. Recently, they have been great. 

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Kind of early to be making definitive draft statements like this, but I feel pretty confident about this one- as long as he's healthy and checks out during the pre-draft process, there is no reason Jaxon Smith-Njigba shouldn't be the best WR from this draft and should 100% be the pick if he is available at 25. Don't overthink these incredibly talented, savvy Ohio State WRs. Recently, they have been great. 

I have Smith-Njigba going to the Falcons at #8, I agree he is the best WR in the draft and if they do not take him the Packers and Texans should.  If he falls to the Giants at #25 that would be nuts, he is totally getting underrated in this process, if he can run at the combine and does well he will be back up as the #1 WR on the board, or at least he should be.

Olave and Wilson had very solid rookie years last season and Jaxon outplayed them both on Ohio State their final years.  

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have Smith-Njigba going to the Falcons at #8, I agree he is the best WR in the draft and if they do not take him the Packers and Texans should.  If he falls to the Giants at #25 that would be nuts, he is totally getting underrated in this process, if he can run at the combine and does well he will be back up as the #1 WR on the board, or at least he should be.

Olave and Wilson had very solid rookie years last season and Jaxon outplayed them both on Ohio State their final years.  

The Falcons taking another receiver with a top-10 pick would be so funny.

18 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Falcons taking another receiver with a top-10 pick would be so funny.

Maybe they go CB or OLB/edge guy but not sure there is a good enough edge guy to draft that high, and CB Gonzalez or Witherspoon might be an option but you do know the other receivers on that team outside of London right?  Sure Pitts is good but that WR core in general is pretty crappy and Jaxon provides something they do not have in terms of slot ability and route running.

Doubt Zaccheaus is the long term answer but maybe they like him a lot.

I have them getting Herbig in the 2nd to answer that edge rusher issue, then Steen in the 3rd for another OT etc.  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe they go CB or OLB/edge guy but not sure there is a good enough edge guy to draft that high, and CB Gonzalez or Witherspoon might be an option but you do know the other receivers on that team outside of London right?  Sure Pitts is good but that WR core in general is pretty crappy and Jaxon provides something they do not have in terms of slot ability and route running.

Doubt Zaccheaus is the long term answer but maybe they like him a lot.

I have them getting Herbig in the 2nd to answer that edge rusher issue, then Steen in the 3rd for another OT etc.  

They threw the ball less than every team but the Bears last year, and it wasn't because of the receiving weapons. They don't have a QB. They also have all of 2 good defensive players.

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What do you think the Giants should trade?

I don't know what the market is. Given his age, contract, and no trade clause, it's hard to say. He wants to go to a team that can win, I think you guys are across that threshold with some money to spend. But I don't see any other way to make Daniel Jones work if you believe he can be the guy.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I don't know what the market is. Given his age, contract, and no trade clause, it's hard to say. He wants to go to a team that can win, I think you guys are across that threshold with some money to spend. But I don't see any other way to make Daniel Jones work if you believe he can be the guy.

Yeah, it’s so hard to judge these things. I think I’ll be comfortable with one of our 3rds, and could be stretched into a second. Though I believe the Giants are still another year from being a contender and to trade for an expensive 31 year old receiver who wants a new contract is a big risk.