2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Detroit is on the cusp of being not just a playoff team, but a division contender. I love Dan Campbell, their offense is legit, and they just don't have a lot on the defense at all, but they play HARD. Get him a few pieces on the defense and see what they can do. There is a window. Green Bay is kind of a mess, Chicago has the #1 overall pick and doesn't look close, and the Vikings are paper tigers.

Now is their time to go "all in" and make that next step IMO.

They had a top 5 scoring offense despite Swift being banged up for most of the year, Hockenson being traded away, and Jameo being a non-factor as a rookie coming off of that ACL. If they can get healthy and their defense improves they could be scary. But I could see them trying to make a push and Goff ultimately limits their ceiling so they draft someone to replace him.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Detroit is on the cusp of being not just a playoff team, but a division contender. I love Dan Campbell, their offense is legit, and they just don't have a lot on the defense at all, but they play HARD. Get him a few pieces on the defense and see what they can do. There is a window. Green Bay is kind of a mess, Chicago has the #1 overall pick and doesn't look close, and the Vikings are paper tigers.

Now is their time to go "all in" and make that next step IMO.

Agreed. Taking a backup QB in the top 10 when you have some gaping defensive holes would be moronic. I don't think that organization has any plans on being "meh" next year. They're going to go all-in, methinks. They're ready to win now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Agreed. Taking a backup QB in the top 10 when you have some gaping defensive holes would be moronic. I don't think that organization has any plans on being "meh" next year. They're going to go all-in, methinks. They're ready to win now.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They had a top 5 scoring offense despite Swift being banged up for most of the year, Hockenson being traded away, and Jameo being a non-factor as a rookie coming off of that ACL. If they can get healthy and their defense improves they could be scary. But I could see them trying to make a push and Goff ultimately limits their ceiling so they draft someone to replace him.

IMO I think they see that Goff, while being limited as a "future franchise guy", is your "Alex Smith" to a hopefully future "Patrick Mahomes" situation.

They have an elite offense with some young weapons who are/were hurt and a nice cache of picks with a dumpster fire defense, and their culture and coach is trending upwards with a division ripe for the picking.

I think they continue to build up that roster and then make a move at QB, but as long as Goff is playing fringe Top 10 football, he's there to stay IMO.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

IMO I think they see that Goff, while being limited as a "future franchise guy", is your "Alex Smith" to a hopefully future "Patrick Mahomes" situation.

They have an elite offense with some young weapons who are/were hurt and a nice cache of picks with a dumpster fire defense, and their culture and coach is trending upwards with a division ripe for the picking.

I think they continue to build up that roster and then make a move at QB, but as long as Goff is playing fringe Top 10 football, he's there to stay IMO.

This season will be huge for him, he only has two years left on his current contract and I doubt that he'll want to play on the last year of his deal. So that means they're likely going to have to extend him next offseason if they want to keep him around. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

This season will be huge for him, he only has two years left on his current contract and I doubt that he'll want to play on the last year of his deal. So that means they're likely going to have to extend him next offseason if they want to keep him around. 

If he's smart, I think he and the Lions try to work out some type of deal where he takes "90 cents on the dollar" and gets a very nice pay day for a team that loves him/he loves and has a nice core roster intact in a dome. He can't play outdoors and he's shown limitations in L.A. as the next tier guy.

If I'm him, I do that before I get PAID by a lousy team and/or one that's an outside lousy team in a rough division at that.

12 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Sam Darnold is younger that Hendon Hooker in this years QB class

I would have been happy with him in San Fran as the backup.. I feel like a talented roster with good coaching can definitely win games with Darnold

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If they can get a defense working that can consistently just be around average.....oh boy. And what's scary is they have all the ammo in the world with which to do so.

Health, D, and some holes plugged, they're running the NFCN for a while, imo. 

I think Goff gets around 3 more years (2 contract years like you mentioned) before they draft a replacement though. Guy made a SB and there's no reason he couldn't do so again and even win one but I don't know that I'm sold on him for another 4+ years. Could change though. If they decide to move on in a couple of years, their new QB is going to likely have a stellar position to step into given their personnel, draft capital, etc. Major kudos to the Lions for being a great example of how to build a team up. 

Edited by ronjon1990

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

He's not even worth the money he'd get on the franchise tag as it stands right now, but the Giants can't do any better than Jones how things currently stand.

I’d take Garroppolo comfortably over DJ, probably at a better price too. 

Unfortunately for NYG they have to make a decision on tagging DJ before they have a shot at Jimmy. That, along with Jimmy’s health, makes it risky. 

I don’t know why they don’t explore Carr at all.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that Darnold has proven he sucks.  I know that's not the point of the post.

I don't think he's proven he sucks. I think he'll stick around the league as a back up for a long time and randomly become a starter on and off. Like he has proven he isn't your plan A, but last year he wasn't embarrassing. Previous years he's had some flashes in a pool of it isn't all the way put together. He clearly "saw ghosts" on the Jets and seemed to improve on that with the Panthers. You don't typically see that level of failure in pocket presence to become kind of okay in that regard. I think he'll be a long term high end back up. Maybe Josh McCown-y if he puts in work to learn playbooks enough to remain an asset in the QB room. He has athleticism and the arm you look for. He can tweak his game and be serviceable plus and isn't an issue in the locker room or media if he isn't starting.

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't think he's proven he sucks. I think he'll stick around the league as a back up for a long time and randomly become a starter on and off. Like he has proven he isn't your plan A, but last year he wasn't embarrassing. Previous years he's had some flashes in a pool of it isn't all the way put together. He clearly "saw ghosts" on the Jets and seemed to improve on that with the Panthers. You don't typically see that level of failure in pocket presence to become kind of okay in that regard. I think he'll be a long term high end back up. Maybe Josh McCown-y if he puts in work to learn playbooks enough to remain an asset in the QB room. He has athleticism and the arm you look for. He can tweak his game and be serviceable plus and isn't an issue in the locker room or media if he isn't starting.

A sub-60% CMP% and a 1.1 TD:INT ratio isn't anything to be impressed by.  That's a player you're signing because you're looking to add arms to camp.  Not because you plan on actually playing him.  What separates him from someone like Mason Rudolph?  Draft status.

Just now, CWood21 said:

A sub-60% CMP% and a 1.1 TD:INT ratio isn't anything to be impressed by.  That's a player you're signing because you're looking to add arms to camp.  Not because you plan on actually playing him.  What separates him from someone like Mason Rudolph?  Draft status.

Oh I agree there, but I think he's rosterable. I read suck and think "out of the league".