What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Perhaps so. I'd also say Saleh and company are in desperation mode, so never underestimate a desperate team's willingness to do something undoubtedly stupid and bid against themselves when it comes to cash and draft picks. Not that I'd know first hand or anything.

Desperation mode got them exploring the QB market, but now we are the last customer in town for Rodgers. JD has not made a stupid move in trades or FA to date, don't expect that to begin now.

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Correct, but Jimmy G doesn't do for an owner's pocketbook what an Aaron Rodgers trade does and we have to remember a lot of this is being driven by the owner. End of the day the NFL is a business and an Aaron Rodgers trade does more for ticket sales and jersey sales than a Jimmy G signing does. It's almost a win win for Woody Johnson imho.

Again - in a vacuum, I agree. But this is a team that’s retuning both OROY and DROY, returning another OROY candidate in Breece Hall and returning a guy who was being lauded as an emerging top 5 T.

Oh yeah, this is also happening in the media capital of the world where revenue is always going to come in at an exponentially higher rate than anywhere that isn’t Los Angeles. 

Creating income is never an issue with an NY team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Jets players are certainly doing them zero favors burning cheeseheads and celebrating like it's done already.

Funny enough, I actually think the Jets are doing the right thing in pursuing Rodgers. They have a young and talented core roster on offense with arguably the worst QB situation in the league and still almost made the playoffs with a solid defense and a kid who won ROY with nobody throwing him the ball.

IMO it made more sense for the Packers to do this 2 years ago after drafting Love than it does now...not that it really makes that much sense now, but that's just from the perspective of a fan who knows that the season is over before it starts since we've never had a real QB to work with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

Desperation mode got them exploring the QB market, but now we are the last customer in town for Rodgers. JD has not made a stupid move in trades or FA to date, don't expect that to begin now.

I used to be an optimistic person. Now I'm firmly in the "badly run franchises make really dumb decisions and well run franchises make really good decisions" cycle of grief.

4 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Point #1 is entirely wrong? Adams was tagged, Rodgers is under contract. Those are facts, but those clearly elude you.

Point #2 is to draw the comparison that a 39 year old in his last year of his career will NEVER cost as much as a 29 year old in their prime. I don't know how much simpler I can make it.

Point #3 - please show me where Adams said he will only play for the Raiders. Burden of proof should fall on the accuser. Also there's no way to quantify this but JD again will not get fleeced.

So Adams was under contract by the Packers and Rodgers was under contract by the Packers, what's your point? If anything being under contract gives you more leverage than a trade.

It's common knowledge that Adams told GB, "trade me to the Raiders." 

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/03/22/davante-adams-calls-playing-green-bay-a-dream-itself/7094789001/

5 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Jimmy G's best years are on par with Rodgers worst years. Jimmy G doesn't have just as much of a punchers chance. We are a year removed from back to back MVPs while the guy had a broken thumb and no one to throw to. 

Remind me… who beat who in the playoffs? I get that Rodgers is a better QB, but that has a tendency of not being the case come playoff time.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Again - in a vacuum, I agree. But this is a team that’s retuning both OROY and DROY, returning another OROY candidate in Breece Hall and returning a guy who was being lauded as an emerging top 5 T.

Oh yeah, this is also happening in the media capital of the world where revenue is always going to come in at an exponentially higher rate than anywhere that isn’t Los Angeles. 

Creating income is never an issue with an NY team.

The far better argument for owner-desperation would be that Woody Johnson is 75 and hasn't won anything as an NFL owner.

We've seen other owners make desperate decisions, some smart (Mike Illitch of the Detroit Tigers) and some dumb (Jurrah).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Funny enough, I actually think the Jets are doing the right thing in pursuing Rodgers. They have a young and talented core roster on offense with arguably the worst QB situation in the league and still almost made the playoffs with a solid defense and a kid who won ROY with nobody throwing him the ball.

IMO it made more sense for the Packers to do this 2 years ago after drafting Love than it does now...not that it really makes that much sense now, but that's just from the perspective of a fan who knows that the season is over before it starts since we've never had a real QB to work with.

Agreed. 2 best ways to hunt for a QB are either process 1st round picks until you win the lottery, or build a team with an obvious missing QB piece and hope there's somebody disgruntled you can get as a free agent or trade for on the cheap.

Bucs are the posterchild for it, but the Saints and 9ers have had varying degrees of success with it too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

It's not JD's call, it's his bosses'. If Woody Johnson tells him to make damn sure Aaron Rodgers is a Jet, he'll be a Jet.

Doesn't mean we'll "fleece" the Jets. We're going to get fair market value for a season worth of a 4-time MVP, which is a 1st round pick. If he plays an additional season, there will be a conditional pick tied to it. There's not going to be a Russell Wilson haul here, but we're just not going to hand him over. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The far better argument for owner-desperation would be that Woody Johnson is 75 and hasn't won anything as an NFL owner.

We've seen other owners make desperate decisions, some smart (Mike Illitch of the Detroit Tigers) and some dumb (Jurrah).

Woody always struck me as a guy who is just happy to be here. Turn a buck, smile for the cameras, etc. But I can see where desperation can kick in…

This being said, he also seems to understand that football people need to make football decisions.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

So Adams was under contract by the Packers and Rodgers was under contract by the Packers, what's your point? If anything being under contract gives you more leverage than a trade.

It's common knowledge that Adams told GB, "trade me to the Raiders." 

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/03/22/davante-adams-calls-playing-green-bay-a-dream-itself/7094789001/

Adams was NOT under contract if he didn't sign his franchise tender.

You would've been better off not even posting that article, that does absolutely nothing to solidify your entirely subjective claim.

I'll just say this, I do believe the Packers want to move on to Jordan Love and see what we have in him. Which is fair all things considered. However, this isn't just about the Packers being "sick of Aaron Rodgers". I think there's so much more that goes into this trade beyond that for both teams. 

1. Packers get a real look at Jordan Love for an entire season before Caleb Williams comes out - If he's not that guy, they're in a position to make a move in 2024. If he is that guy and they're happy with his play, they got their QB and can start the rebuild process. 

2. Aaron Rodgers going to NYJ helps drive up ticket and jersey sales, filling Woody Johnson's pocket, while giving them a real chance at a Super Bowl. However, what I think most people are doing is writing off Zach Wilson because of this trade when in all actuality, Aaron Rodgers is on record stating how talented Zach W is and he just needs a little humility. That mentorship could actually fix what people are right now calling a bust and has the potential to make the whole thing come full circle for the Jets. 

I full heartedly believe this IS the perfect player and the perfect team for this trade to be facilitated. I just don't think the Jets are going to fleece the Packers to make it happen and I don't believe the Packers are going to fleece the Jets either. Again, this is just my opinion and I've been wrong many times in my life before (I still love you Johnathan Franklin, you were that guy for me

I think what we're getting here is Jets fans wanting to pay the least amount of draft capital to get Aaron Rodgers and Packers fans wanting to get the most amount of draft capital to trade Aaron Rodgers. Which is fair, I don't think anyone should have expected either fan base to approach this realistically or reasonably. There has to be a level of biased from both sides, just don't be surprised if it's in the middle of what both are expecting. I'd bet money that when the trade is announced it will leave both the Jets fans unhappy and Packers fans unhappy at first glance but as it settles in, both will be happy with the compensation received and given. 

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Remind me… who beat who in the playoffs? I get that Rodgers is a better QB, but that has a tendency of not being the case come playoff time.

I forgot it was Jimmy G vs Rodgers in the playoffs. It's not like they had twice the defense, better skill players and special teams. Shockingly bad take 

Edited by PackFan13