Super Bowl LVII - Philadelphia vs Kansas City

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting that we may actually move a guy that has control over our future.....after such a short time.

Woooooshh.  Go ahead and make the argument that the last AR contract was a good organizational move.

Edited by hitnhope

On 2/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, hitnhope said:

I agree that TT had poor drafts at the end of his run.  He started drafting to fill holes rather than drafting to his board.  Prior to the last couple years, he was excellent.  What he didn't do was blow the cap while drafting poorly.

I don't think Gute is anything like TT.  Not in drafting, not in moving on from mistakes, not in building roster depth.  TT won a SB.  I honestly don't believe Gute has it in him to win one.

I do agree that it is time to move on from AR.  I just can't forgive that it wasn't done last year when we could have received a bunch of draft capitol, managed the cap better, and not let a player have control over the organization's future.  I don't believe TT would have ever let himself be in the position the Packers are right now.

For your bolded part, I feel like you can't see the forest through the trees.

Gute learned from TT.  Good and bad.

TT didn't let himself get into the same position Gute was in because he drafted a QB with the hopes of replacing Favre.

Gute did as well, but Rodgers turned in 2 back to back MVP performances.  Favre did not.  

And regarding killing the cap?  TT more or less avoided free agency, paid his own, and went about his business.  And that business made us competitive, but he did not do enough to go over the top and win another title with Prime Rodgers.

Again, if you want to bag on Gute, I'm with you on a lot of points.  But....then you really need to bag on TT for not doing more when we had Prime Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

For your bolded part, I feel like you can't see the forest through the trees.

Gute learned from TT.  Good and bad.

TT didn't let himself get into the same position Gute was in because he drafted a QB with the hopes of replacing Favre.

Gute did as well, but Rodgers turned in 2 back to back MVP performances.  Favre did not.  

And regarding killing the cap?  TT more or less avoided free agency, paid his own, and went about his business.  And that business made us competitive, but he did not do enough to go over the top and win another title with Prime Rodgers.

Again, if you want to bag on Gute, I'm with you on a lot of points.  But....then you really need to bag on TT for not doing more when we had Prime Rodgers.

That 2015 draft was like taking a pass on an entire draft. That hurt.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think people unfairly compare TT and BG with regards to doing enough to go over the top.

TT had prime Rodgers, and tried to keep the cap flat so that we'd make the playoffs every year and then hopefully get some luck and win it all.

BG had end of career Rodgers, and tried to go all in cap wise to maximize the last few years of Rodgers prime. 

I think both strategies were wise. You don't want to spend years of prime QB play trying to rebuild cap space, especially since prime Rodgers basically guarantees you will always pick outside of the top-18 anyways.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think people unfairly compare TT and BG with regards to doing enough to go over the top.

TT had prime Rodgers, and tried to keep the cap flat so that we'd make the playoffs every year and then hopefully get some luck and win it all.

BG had end of career Rodgers, and tried to go all in cap wise to maximize the last few years of Rodgers prime. 

I think both strategies were wise. You don't want to spend years of prime QB play trying to rebuild cap space, especially since prime Rodgers basically guarantees you will always pick outside of the top-18 anyways.

In the "for what it is worth category"...I feel like Gute has done more to get over the top with an aged Rodgers than TT did with Prime Rodgers.

Overall, I feel like Gute is a more aggressive GM than TT was.  Free agency, draft trades...stuff like that.  

I'm not sure which is better, but I feel like if TT was more aggressive...we'd have another SB appearance or two.  And if Gute had offered more money to OBJ, maybe we get that that big game as well.

Oh well.  I can also say that if Bakh doesn't get hurt....we would have been in great shape those years as well.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

In the "for what it is worth category"...I feel like Gute has done more to get over the top with an aged Rodgers than TT did with Prime Rodgers.

Overall, I feel like Gute is a more aggressive GM than TT was.  Free agency, draft trades...stuff like that.  

I'm not sure which is better, but I feel like if TT was more aggressive...we'd have another SB appearance or two.  And if Gute had offered more money to OBJ, maybe we get that that big game as well.

Oh well.  I can also say that if Bakh doesn't get hurt....we would have been in great shape those years as well.

Yeah, I've always felt like the stars aligned against TT-Rodgers era. If they don't have some of those bizarre playoff losses people would have agreed that TT was correctly aggressive.

I guess I feel the same about the BG era as well. That Bakh injury really costed so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Luck plays a part to some degree. If the team remembered how to catch in 2011 or if one in thirty things goes right in 2014, we probably look at the TT era quite differently.

Can look at the Saints as an example too. One of the most referenced teams when it came to "making a move" but never got there again. Partially because they continued to lose in the playoffs in increasingly absurd ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

Luck plays a part to some degree. If the team remembered how to catch in 2011 or if one in thirty things goes right in 2014, we probably look at the TT era quite differently.

Can look at the Saints as an example too. One of the most referenced teams when it came to "making a move" but never got there again. Partially because they continued to lose in the playoffs in increasingly absurd ways.

Are you telling me that the NFL is random?  .....cuz I swear FlyNoZone educated us all that this was simply not true......  :)

On 2/3/2023 at 10:05 AM, pgwingman said:

Yeah, I've always felt like the stars aligned against TT-Rodgers era. If they don't have some of those bizarre playoff losses people would have agreed that TT was correctly aggressive.

I guess I feel the same about the BG era as well. That Bakh injury really costed so much.

TT’s last couple of drafts were plagued by his health issues, though no one would talk about it, and they forced him out too late. Not to tell tales out of school, but the underlings (including Russ Ball) were handling more of TT’s regular duties than anyone let on, especially in that last year. 

• Like 1