Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/999588/factors-that-leave-jadeveon-clowney-unsigned/

Pauline added that Clowney wanted “to sign yesterday,” but teams aren’t rushing to get a deal done at this point with him, or in trades for big-name players like Yannick Ngakoue in Jacksonville and Jamal Adams in New York. Part of the reason Pauline believes that’s the case, and why many veterans and bigger names haven’t gotten signed or traded, is because there’s a strong chance that the salary cap goes down in 2021, so teams are leaning towards one-year contracts.

COVID-19 has also played a big role in Clowney’s market, as teams can’t bring him or other free agents to their facilities for workouts or physicals. Pauline said he thinks there will be more movement and signings in the coming weeks as training camps begin.

As far as how Clowney and his team have handled the market, Pauline says most of it was out of their control and doesn’t have anything to do with Clowney personally, but it’s a mix of money, the current world landscape and his injury history.

Call it a perfect storm. Teams couldn't meet with him person to give him a physical to see if he was healthy enough for a long term deal because of COVID. And because of COVID the salary cap might drop.

@lavar703 @naptownskinsfan - another reason Washington might have played it quiet on the free agent market after missing out on their two primary targets.

• Like 2

Just gonna leave this here. Other than App St. going to Michigan and beating them @ Michigan, this was the greatest FCS over FBS upset IMHO (because Tech ended up ranked like #16th at the end of the year - any of the other FBS teams that got upset were usually out of the top-25 and sucked that year)

https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/ten-years-later-when-jmu-football-upset-virginia-tech/article_0f9f1b2c-f2da-11ea-b60c-dfe42407abdd.html

The line was Virginia Tech -31, according to PredictEm.com. Despite entering the game 0-1, the Hokies had future NFL quarterback Tyrod Taylor and were expected to bounce back in commanding fashion against their in-state rival from the Shenandoah Valley.

But Matthews, quarterback Drew Dudzik and JMU fans entered Lane Stadium with the hope to send shockwaves through the college football world. However, the odds still weren’t in their favor, and it was a great opportunity for the then-No. 13 team in FBS to lift itself back to a .500 record.

“I think fans on both sides knew what the outcome of this game was going to be, or at least what it was supposed to be,” Craig Schilpp (’95) said. “Because of that, there was really no tension. Everyone was just enjoying themselves and getting ready to watch some football. I had several Hokie fans come up to me beforehand to wish us good luck. The ‘you’re gonna need it’ was implied.”

Virginia Tech kicked off its chance to redeem itself at 1:34 p.m. The next 2 hours and 37 minutes would witness the biggest upset in JMU history — and arguably the most famous, too.

The Dukes’ first possession saw a little offensive progression, but they were forced to punt to the high-powered Hokie offense. Virginia Tech responded with a 17-play, 94-yard drive that took 8 minutes and 48 seconds off the clock and ended with Taylor finding tight end Jarrett Boykin for a 9-yard score. It was a suffocating drive that felt like the home team forced itself into the driver’s seat.

JMU’s offense struggled to begin the game as it failed to string together long drives while also being shut out for the first quarter. A VT field goal midway through the second made it 10-0, but it didn’t take long for magic to strike for the Dukes.

With under five minutes left in the first half, Dudzik found running back Jamal Sullivan for a 77-yard touchdown, clawing JMU back into the game at a crucial point. Tech added another field goal before halftime, but with the score at 13-7, the opportunity for an upset was there for the taking. It was up to the Dukes to orchestrate a second-half performance that'd etch their names in JMU history...

Virginia Tech made it a two-possession game following another field goal on its first drive of the second half. Down 16-7, Dudzik and the offense needed a spark to give them any chance of winning. Halfway through the third quarter, Dudzik took control of the game and strung together two scoring drives that would stun fans across the country.

“Drew played the best game of his career,” Matthews said to The Breeze in 2010. “I liked the way he handled the rain. And not turning the ball over was probably the difference in the game. It was the difference in the game.”

A grueling seven-minute drive ended with Dudzik scampering into the end zone from seven yards out to pull the Dukes within two. Taylor threw an interception in JMU territory during the Hokies’ next drive, giving JMU the chance to take the lead.

As nervous energy crept into the Hokie faithful as the game carried into the fourth quarter, it became clear that the Virginia Tech offense was stalling. It’d be up to the Hokies’ stout defense to avoid being the latest victim of an FCS upset.

Dudzik and Sullivan took turns running the ball during an eight-play, 62-yard drive that was completed by Dudzik finding the end zone with his feet once again. Leading for the first time in the game, JMU found itself minutes away from doing what was thought to be impossible.

“One of our coaches in the booth was a former player for VT, so this game had even more intensity for him as he coached the Dukes to defeat his former team,” Drury said. “In the closing minute when it looked like we were going to win, the coaches broke out in emotion and celebration, as we all knew this was a major moment for JMU football.”

Taylor and Co. had two opportunities to ****** victory away from the Dukes, but they couldn’t get past a defense that was locked in to finishing the job. The clock slowly but surely dwindled down to all zeroes, and with the score reading 21-16 in favor of JMU, celebrations began for the visiting fans and those watching from Harrisonburg and beyond.

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah man, I have to admit I had Dobbins ahead of him - but I am biased - but you can’t have a much better opening debut then him unless your name is RG3.

I dumped all of my keepers in my main league for him, and still got three of my keepers back, so I'm stoked.  Dobbins is going to have a good career with Baltimore though. 

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just gonna leave this here. Other than App St. going to Michigan and beating them @ Michigan, this was the greatest FCS over FBS upset IMHO (because Tech ended up ranked like #16th at the end of the year - any of the other FBS teams that got upset were usually out of the top-25 and sucked that year)

https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/ten-years-later-when-jmu-football-upset-virginia-tech/article_0f9f1b2c-f2da-11ea-b60c-dfe42407abdd.html

My first instinct was to make some sort of joke about living in the past.

Then I remember that UVA still talks about this game:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woz said:

My first instinct was to make some sort of joke about living in the past.

Then I remember that UVA still talks about this game:

Hah! Well, I have to tweak my VT peeps here a bit and boast a bit about one of the best (if not the best) FCS/FBS upsets in history.

• Like 2

Ohio State star offensive lineman Wyatt Davis is declaring for the NFL draft, he told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. Davis is a 6-foot-4, 315-pound guard who projects as a potential first-round pick.

Davis, a redshirt junior, returned to Ohio State this year for a fourth season for the chance to play for a national title. As the chances of Ohio State competing for a title this fall appeared to dim in the wake of the Big Ten’s postponement, Davis said he decided to announce he’ll be declaring for the NFL draft.

“My family and I were waiting to hear any good news that there would be a possibility to play in the fall,” Davis told Yahoo Sports. “As the weeks went on, after the initial cancellation, the news didn’t seem in favor that we would have an opportunity to play for a national championship if there was a season. At this point, my family and I made the decision that it would be my best decision to take the next step.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-star-wyatt-davis-declares-for-the-nfl-draft-135709967.html

If we do have a pick in the teens & we lose Scherff, this guy could be a replacement.

Edited by turtle28

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-study-4-of-26-athletes-who-tested-positive-for-covid-19-had-cmr-findings-suggestive-of-myocarditis-184819353.html

An 

Ohio State study of 26 athletes who had tested positive for COVID-19 discovered that four of those athletes showed signs of myocarditis.

The study published Friday was done as there are concerns that myocarditis — inflammation of the heart muscle — can be a longer-term effect of COVID-19. The 15 male and 11 female players at the school in the study came from multiple sports, including football, and none of the athletes had to be hospitalized or received specific treatment for their coronavirus infections.

Doctors ran cardiac magnetic resonance imaging on the athletes in June through August to check the health of their hearts. And while four athletes did have findings “suggestive of myocarditis,” the study notes that “COVID-19-related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and sports participation remains unclear.”

From the study:

Of 26 competitive athletes, 4 (15%) had CMR findings suggestive of myocarditis and 8 additional athletes (30.8%) exhibited [late gadolinium enhancement] without T2 elevation suggestive of prior myocardial injury. COVID-19-related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and sports participation remains unclear. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging has the potential to identify a high-risk cohort for adverse outcomes and may, importantly, risk stratify athletes for safe participation because CMR mapping techniques have a high negative predictive value to rule out myocarditis.

It’s important to keep in mind how small the study is. A study of 26 athletes in a conference with thousands of them isn’t enough to draw hard-line conclusions. The summary of the study reads “while long-term follow-up and large studies including control populations are required to understand CMR changes in competitive athletes, CMR may provide an excellent risk-stratification assessment for myocarditis in athletes who have recovered from COVID-19 to guide safe competitive sports participation.”