Are Jerry rice’s receiving records the most sacred in the nfl, if not what’s the most impressive record?

CP3MVP

Lebron breaking the all time scoring record last night in the nba dominated social media had me thinking. Which of  Jerry rice’s catches, receiving yards, and touchdowns records are the most respected in the nfl? I remember when all those records broken particularly the touchdown one and while it was a big deal I noticed football fans don’t really care about individual records the same way fans of baseball or even the nba do. Why do you think that is?

When Brady broke the passing yardage, touchdown and Completion records it was like cool. 

I think Paul Krause 81 career int's will be the record that will stand the test of time.

Think about it?

zdgjf9xpdgxmps1cuhn1

peibfc8o428otojyj2tk

qcf9y2ancc6bqqi6czqt

ug8uyinz3e2ypwr4saqc

Player INT INT TD INT Yds Lng

6 1 94 34

6 0 54 25

6 0 51 23

4 players this year tied for the lead this year in picks with 6 each.

To match Paul Krause's record.

And if all 4 players were rookies this season? ( Which their not)

They would have to repeat that for a 13-14 yr career to beat it.

You would think it would be easier to happen now.

17 game seasons....

More of a passing era, now.

But nobody in the League is even close.

Want to know what so impressive with this stat?

Krause did it in an era, where they only played 14 game schedules. ( With the exception to his final 2 seasons)

Personally, I don't think this record will ever be beat.

• Like 2

I think Jerry Rice’s career TD touchdown record is the one that is the most unbreakable and the one that’ll get the most coverage if broken. He leads at 208 career TDs and the next closest is Emmitt Smith at 175. He broke the record in 1994 and no one has gotten or is anywhere near him.

If it’s ever broken, it’d probably get more coverage than any other NFL record, just because of how unbreakable the record looks to be and the talent level of the player needed to break it.

• Like 2

I think Rice's yards will be broken one day.  It is more likely the league will pass more in the future, not less, and look at how easy it is for receivers to transition to the pros nowadays.  Not to mention the extra game. And while longevity is needed, Jefferson has 4825 career receiving yards at 23 years old.  Rice entered the league at 23 and by the time he was 26, "only" had 4881 receiving yards.  If Jefferson can avoid major injuries and given how well his game translates to when he's older, it isn't unlikely that he couldn't at least challenge the record.

Meanwhile I seriously doubt any RB will ever challenge Emmitt's.  I mean you would need a Barry Sanders type of talent, a highly efficient runner who is getting on average 300 carries a season, someone who doesn't have an aggressive running style (thus lessening the chance for injury, ideally) and can avoid getting hit solidly, and plays into his 30s.  Aside from how long it will be until we see someone who runs like Barry did (although rookie Barkley came close), what RB is even averaging 300 carries a season?  Chubb got 300 carries for the first time and it was his 5th year.  Derrick Henry has 3 seasons with 300+ carries in a 7 year career and he's averaging 4.4 YPC the past 2 years, not bad but not good enough and it is almost a certainty he won't be a full-time guy into his 30s.  

Favre's record will be tough too. NFL is far more cautious with players playing through injuries now than they were back then, not to mention the extra attention paid to concussions.  Favre has 297 consecutive starts (321 including playoffs).  The closest QB is Rivers at 240.  Brady was as healthy as a guy we'll ever see, but still tore his ACL in 2008.  And you can forget about any non-QB pulling it off.  The closest is Jim Marshall at 270 and that was accomplished in 1979.  The active leaders are Jake Matthews at 145 and Jason Kelce at 134.  Even if Kelce plays 3 more seasons and doesn't miss a game, he'll only be at 227.

To be clear, this is not including kickers/punters.  I'm actually just now finding out that kickers and punters don't get credited with a start... which does and doesn't make sense.

The INT record will be tough to beat too, but I could see that happening before the rushing record.

The sack record seems to be harder to break than one would think.  Nobody has even come close aside from Reggie White, who played around the same time as Bruce.  The only players who played at least 5 years in the 2000s who are even in the top 10 are Peppers (40 short of the record) and Strahan (58 short of the record) and both played a long time.

Not a single-season record but when the heck is someone going to break the single-game passing record?  

Edited by iknowcool

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I think Rice's yards will be broken one day.  It is more likely the league will pass more in the future, not less, and look at how easy it is for receivers to transition to the pros nowadays.  Not to mention the extra game. And while longevity is needed, Jefferson has 4825 career receiving yards at 23 years old.  Rice entered the league at 23 and by the time he was 26, "only" had 4881 receiving yards.  If Jefferson can avoid major injuries and given how well his game translates to when he's older, it isn't unlikely that he couldn't at least challenge the record.

Jefferson would have to play until 35+ while avoiding injuries, and have stability at QB to even have a chance at a chance at challenging it. Even with the extra game plus favorable rules. It's hard to see any team even keeping a receiver as good as they may be, on a roster if they're pushing 40. At least in this era. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

11 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jefferson would have to play until 35+ while avoiding injuries, and have stability at QB to even have a chance at a chance at challenging it. Even with the extra game plus favorable rules. It's hard to see any team even keeping a receiver as good as they may be, on a roster if they're pushing 40. At least in this era. 

One of the problems is receivers basically stop being elite at 30-31. Like if you look at the elite guys right now with the exception Devante they are all under 30. Jerry was an all pro at 40.

There has also never been this amount of young WR’s coming into the league on a yearly basis ready to come in and contribute. This hurts the older WR trying to stack up numbers 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean, he has 56 less receiving yards at 23 years old than Rice had at 26.  Sure, maybe Jefferson himself won't do it, but it is much more likely to be challenged than the rushing yards record.  More and more receivers are excelling at an early age and again, targets and pass attempts will only keep increasing.  If PFR is to be trusted, Jefferson already has more targets in a single season than Rice had in any one season (although target data isn't available for his first 7 seasons, but in his season with the most receptions he had 176 targets, fewer than Jefferson's 184 this past year).