The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would agree, but we just signed Slay to a new deal ( still don't understand why ) and then signed Bradberry.  Why draft a guy that is going to sit two years.

Because Slay is probably going to fall off this year, and that rookie will likely be starting next year, even if Slays contract paints him as the starter for 2024. That rookie would likely start 4 or 5 games this year as well, since I doubt Slay and Bradberry both play 17 games. We also don't really have an outside CB besides Slay, Bradberry, and Greedy, and you need at least 4 of em. Howie probably hasn't given up on Zech yet, so I guess we technically do have 4, but really we only have 3.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

I believe drafting an OT day 2 would be ideal in the sense that he can play swing tackle and go through Stoutland University to eventualy take over Lane who by the way hasn't played a full season since like 2016.

I feel that way about RB. If Jahmyr is there at 30 then obviously we should take him but I'd much rather settle for a RBBC and have confidence in the OL vs having an elite RB and worry about shuffling up the OL and putting in guys that may not be ready.

8 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I feel that way about RB. If Jahmyr is there at 30 then obviously we should take him but I'd much rather settle for a RBBC and have confidence in the OL vs having an elite RB and worry about shuffling up the OL and putting in guys that may not be ready.

Yes, I think the combo of Skoronsky + Gibbs would be better. I mean it sucks that this class is so poor because we'd "settle" for a player that has not much impact with a top 10 pick coming off a Super Bowl berth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I would agree, but we just signed Slay to a new deal ( still don't understand why ) and then signed Bradberry.  Why draft a guy that is going to sit two years.

That shouldn't keep them from drafting a CB especially with Slay being an older player who has been declining.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ACO said:

That shouldn't keep them from drafting a CB especially with Slay being an older player who has been declining.

Where is that CB playing? Over Maddox in the slot? Unless the plan is to move Avonte to Safety, it's a redshirt wasted year! 

However that has been the approach lately  so who knows??

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Yes, I think the combo of Skoronsky + Gibbs would be better. I mean it sucks that this class is so poor because we'd "settle" for a player that has not much impact with a top 10 pick coming off a Super Bowl berth. 

It all depends. If Kelce and Lane stay healthy all year and Jurgens is solid, then yeah Skoronski won't have as much impact as Bijan would. But I wouldn't bet on all three of those things happening.

Basically, right now I feel like a significant injury to Kelce or Lane (which is probable) would derail the season. We'd be a wildcard at best.

50 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Where is that CB playing? Over Maddox in the slot? Unless the plan is to move Avonte to Safety, it's a redshirt wasted year! 

However that has been the approach lately  so who knows??

I mean the rookie could outplay the vets. Wouldn't be the first time. I just think, as you point out, they are known for drafting the replacement when the starter is still playing. Personally I am hoping one of those top tackles are still on the board and they go that route.

I just want someone who can actually contribute. We are in a window now, let’s not take someone who isn’t going to play much for a year or two.

Not saying force a need, but should be part of the equation.

RT/RG is boring but it makes sense. Competition at RG right away and there if Lane goes down.

CB would need inside/outside versatility to help much this year. It’s very much a future move. It’s also a position that busts a lot. Which is a double edged sword. Do you take one now and potentially whiff / don’t help you immediately or do you play the higher stakes game of taking one when you need them to start?

Bijan plays right away and would be set up very nicely for a great 5-6 years. But so would some of the other Backs later on. Do you want a star or a super star?

DL plays right away in the rotation, edge would need to be a top pick…depth guys won’t get time.

JSN would fix your WR3 problem, but it’s a bit like pouring a 5 gallon bucket to put out a candle. It solves the problem but definitely overkill.

To me signs point Edge/DT, and potentially trading up for one. Got the Value/Eval/Need trio well, also a harder position to get the impact later on compared to OL. OL I trust Stout with some of those day 2 guys.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

It all depends. If Kelce and Lane stay healthy all year and Jurgens is solid, then yeah Skoronski won't have as much impact as Bijan would. But I wouldn't bet on all three of those things happening.

Basically, right now I feel like a significant injury to Kelce or Lane (which is probable) would derail the season. We'd be a wildcard at best.

In Stout we trust! 

31 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Besides, do we really need to trade up in the top 10 for a tackle?

Nope. Not with Stout around. Just take that kid Mauch or DJ (OSU) in round 2 if you really want a Tackle. Both gonna be great especially with the best OL coach.

DJ already played RT so we wouldn't need to make the switch. Paris and Mauch would

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

11 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Nope. Not with Stout around. Just take that kid Mauch or DJ (OSU) in round 2 if you really want a Tackle. Both gonna be great especially with the best OL coach.

DJ already played RT so we wouldn't need to make the switch. Paris and Mauch would

Mauch isn't a tackle in the NFL.