The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Lose players on defense that we all knew we would lose 2 months ago on day one of FA: OUR DEFENSE IS GOING TO SUCKKKKKK.

These posts belong in the overreaction thread.

we all knew we would lose these players and we all also knew our defense was gonna suck next year.

Just now, Jeezla said:

You knew we were going to lose CGJ and Hargrave?

Hargrave? Absolutely lol. A thirty year old DT that is coming off double digit sack seasons? I posted in like October how I expected us to move on from him.

Last I checked CJGJ is still a FA. After we didn't tag him though I didn't think it was likely he would sign elsewhere. Still hope we can bring him back at a reasonable price though. The safety market has been pretty tame outside of the monster Bates contract.

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

we all knew we would lose these players and we all also knew our defense was gonna suck next year.

Ya I will make a judgement on what our defense will look like next year when we actually have an idea of who is playing on it.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Hargrave? Absolutely lol. A thirty year old DT that is coming off double digit sack seasons? I posted in like October how I expected us to move on from him.

Last I checked CJGJ is still a FA. After we didn't tag him though I didn't think it was likely he would sign elsewhere. Still hope we can bring him back at a reasonable price though. The safety market has been pretty tame outside of the monster Bates contract.

Right. Well, if you look back 2 weeks ago, you'll find 90% of this forum thought Hargrave would come back, because who the hell else do we have that's proven?

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya I will make a judgement on what our defense will look like next year when we actually have an idea of who is playing on it.

rookies and journeyman its very easy to guess our defense will take a step back.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Right. Well, if you look back 2 weeks ago, you'll find 90% of this forum thought Hargrave would come back, because who the hell else do we have that's proven?

Ya I am going to need to see some posts and numbers cause I know 90% of this forum isn't stupid enough to believe that would actually be the case. Someone saying "I hope we get Hargrave back" is not the same as saying I expect him to return. This isn't reality.

It's going to be a lot more than a step back.

Much tougher schedule.
New starting DT that won't be as good as Hargrave, with much worse depth behind the starting DT's.
At least 1 new starting LB that will probably be worse than TJ, and Nakobe hasn't played enough to know anything about him as the other starter.
New #2 CB that likely won't be nearly as good as Bradberry.
New Starting safety that likely won't be nearly as good as CGJ, and new #3 safety to fill in for Blankenship when he gets hurt.
New scheme to learn.

Lots of turnover with less talented replacements in a new scheme, but sure, it'll probably be hardly noticeable.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Much tougher schedule.
New starting DT that won't be as good as Hargrave, with much worse depth behind the starting DT's.
At least 1 new starting LB that will probably be worse than TJ, and Nakobe hasn't played enough to know anything about him as the other starter.
New Starting safety that likely won't be nearly as good as CGJ, and new #3 safety to fill in for Blankenship when he gets hurt.
New scheme to learn.

Lots of turnover with less talented replacements in a new scheme, but sure, it'll probably be hardly noticeable.

Talking too much sense. There will be heat for this post, but I agree with ya. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jeezla said:

Much tougher schedule.
New starting DT that won't be as good as Hargrave, with worse depth behind the starting DT's.

Lots of turnover with less talented replacements, but sure, it'll probably be hardly noticeable.

As I have said numerous times our defense is obviously going to regress. That is obvious. No one is saying it will be just fine and our team is going to be just as good as last seasons. We are just saying maybe at least wait until past Day 2 of FA to definitively claim "Our defense is going to suck". Could our defense suck? Ya, it definitely could. That doesn't mean it is a guarantee.

Best path to the Super Bowl this year continues to be win on offense.

Sure up WR 3 , get a RB. Seems like the plan is Jurgy at RG. Backup QB.

>

Fix almost the entirety of the defense in a year.

Lets go score 40 a game 

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Much tougher schedule.
New scheme to learn.

#facts

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Best path to the Super Bowl this year continues to be win on offense.

Sure up WR 3 , get a RB. Seems like the plan is Jurgy at RG. Backup QB.

>

Fix almost the entirety of the defense in a year.

Lets go score 40 a game 

But I was told that is an unreasonable expectation when we needed 40 to win the Super Bowl, and the defense has to make stops in the second half.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

As I have said numerous times our defense is obviously going to regress. That is obvious. No one is saying it will be just fine and our team is going to be just as good as last seasons. We are just saying maybe at least wait until past Day 2 of FA to definitively claim "Our defense is going to suck". Could our defense suck? Ya, it definitely could. That doesn't mean it is a guarantee.

How long do I need to wait officer?

If our defense could definitely suck, then how is me saying it will suck an overreaction? 

If I said we're going to be good on D, would you have called that an overreaction? Or Is everything an overreaction until you've seen it already play out? Do I need to wait til week 11 to say our D stinks?

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2