The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

52 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am going to sit here and say "lets see what our defense looks like after the draft before I make a judgement of what they will be". Seems reasonable to me.

The only thing we will be able to determine after the draft, is what the 2024 defense will look like. Howie does not have a great track record of drafting, immediate contributors, especially on defense.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Curious if you guys think the dead cap is a problem now that every young player is leaving?

no.

With dead cap, or regular cap space, this goes in waves. You can spend big. Then things get tight. You have to sit out a year or 2, then you can spend again.

There is no difference. Other than, using dead cap has afforded us more talent than we ever could have had on the team at one time while stickling within the constraints of the so called hard cap.

It was, is, and will remain the ultimate way to do things.

Its not as if Howie is now caught by surprise now that his alleged "mistakes" are catching up to him. No. Check the amount of premium draft picks he has this year and next year. What do you need when you end up with a highly paid QB and a bunch of vets and dead cap? You need a stockpile of young draft picks on cheap rookie deals. We are about to add those in droves. Right in time for the year where we have to sit out of the first wave or free agency. 

It was well planned. And we are going to be just fine.

As it stands, we have the offense intact and should remain the top offense in the NFC. At least top 3 no doubt.

If the D with a new coordinator is just solid, this team is yet again poised for another deep playoff push in what is being looked at by some as a rebuild year. 

They, they are going to start having more cap space again.

Howie has a very sustainable operation going on here. Its time you and others learn to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

So we’re back to preaching to other posters on how they should feel.   Please let us know when we’re allowed to have an opinion other than Sunshine and Rainbows.  

we are gonna spend our 6 draft picks on 6 first ballot hall of fame defenders. Not gonna miss a beat my friend. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

So we’re back to preaching to other posters on how they should feel.   Please let us know when we’re allowed to have an opinion other than Sunshine and Rainbows.  

Glad we can at least acknowledge that these post are based on feelings and nothing more.

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

giants traded a third to the raiders for Waller.

Players have like no trade value this offseason apparently.

The same Darren Waller who got a big contract and then quit caring? 

Not surprising his compensation was so low. 

Wouldn't be an Eagles offseason if people weren't screaming from rooftops about the Eagles sucking at something.  It's what most of you always do, especially this time of year.

Last year the entire conversations were about the offense more specifically replacing Jalen Hurts. How he sucked, why we should trade/draft for just about any other QB because we had 3 1sts and he sure AF wasn't th answer.

How after Wilson went to Denver we shouldn't go trade for a DK Metcalf and pay him $20M a season because he'd be absolutely wasted as a Eagle with Jalen at QB. Only to then acquire AJ Brown, do exactly that and watch this offense go off.

This year, it's Defense. How we can't possibly replace any of the Starters we lost. Not with any of the Rookies from last years draft. Most certainly not from any potential Rookies in this years draft and more then likely no one from FA because Howie Roseman of all people can't find the money.

It's February/March. The time of the year when the prognosticators and psychics tell the rest of us how the Eagles will suck, probably finish 4-13 because we suck at A, B and C. 

The only year this hasn't been the overall sentiment and discussion at hand was 2018 post SB Champion.  Keep doing You!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

Just now, Scalamania said:

Eh been dealing with some injuries. Could be a steal for the giants if he lives up to his potential. Which has a better chance of happening with Daboll then McDaniels.

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

giants traded a third to the raiders for Waller.

Players have like no trade value this offseason apparently.

3 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I hope he does not get motivated again.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I hope he does not get motivated again.

31 years old and has been hurt constantly the past two years? I won't say he has no shot of playing at a high level, but I don't think the odds are all that great.

Still an upgrade for them though and didn't cost all that much. Not a bad move by any means, but I don't think it is a needle mover.

FA's I'd like:
CGJ
Matt Ioannidis as Hargrave replacement
Byron Murphy or Sean Murphy-Bunting as Bradberry replacement
Drue Tranquill as Kyzir replacement
Bobby Wagner as TJ replacement
Paris Campbell as a Quez upgrade/competition
Juan Thornhill if we don't get CGJ
D'Ernest Johnson as a Boston Scott replacement

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

FA's I'd like:
CGJ
Matt Ioannidis as Hargrave replacement
Byron Murphy or Sean Murphy-Bunting as Bradberry replacement
Drue Tranquill as Kyzir replacement
Bobby Wagner as TJ replacement
Paris Campbell as a Quez upgrade/competition
Juan Thornhill if we don't get CGJ
D'Ernest Johnson as a Boston Scott replacement

This would be amazing. I'm not gonna say we would be better on paper than last year, but I don't think this would be far off tbh

Edited by EagleBlueDon

22 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

I hate this take. Are others not allowed to disagree? Validate what makes you feel this way if you’re shouting from the hip.