2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

8 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Ick  .. Chiefs have the lowest adjusted cap of all teams  ...

Eh. Doesn't really matter much without context, though. We have basically nothing for rollover, but we also have the least dead money in the NFL, and almost nothing to speak of for bad contracts right now. I'd rather have a $14M lower salary cap than Philly, than have their $47M more dead cap than us. Cleveland, despite the crazy amount of cap they rolled over from last year (like $28M IIRC), is still over the cap right now. They had to save all that space for this year because oh boy do they have some bad cap hit this coming season.

So like, this list doesn't really represent anything in terms of actual cap health, or even cap space, right now.

Also, some of us adjusting down will be from guys hitting post season contract incentives. And...I'll take that lol.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:
2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I think the only person worth considering is Thornhill. But that tag of 14.47mil is a bit higher than I'd want to pay him.

Thornhill is fine for run support. He's not a coverage safety IMO. Now what's he worth?

Edited by mayanfootball

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Also, some of us adjusting down will be from guys hitting post season contract incentives. And...I'll take that lol.

This.   I know 5 off hand that had some nice playoff incentives hit.    I'm sure there were more.   

And I'm sure we planned for it.   

32 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Thornhill is fine for run support. He's not a coverage safety IMO. Now what's he worth?

Thornhill had flashes of coverage and a lot of versatility. He should do well in he FA market. For coverage, you can use a big CB with ball skills. If only we had one...

42 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. Doesn't really matter much without context, though. We have basically nothing for rollover, but we also have the least dead money in the NFL, and almost nothing to speak of for bad contracts right now. I'd rather have a $14M lower salary cap than Philly, than have their $47M more dead cap than us. Cleveland, despite the crazy amount of cap they rolled over from last year (like $28M IIRC), is still over the cap right now. They had to save all that space for this year because oh boy do they have some bad cap hit this coming season.

So like, this list doesn't really represent anything in terms of actual cap health, or even cap space, right now.

Who? We have already been discussing Chris Jones and the expiring rookie contracts. Who else has significant leverage? 

These are Spotrac numbers

CALCULATED MARKET VALUES

Chris Jones($30.1M)
JuJu Smith-Schuster($14.7M)
Frank Clark($12.4M)
Mecole Hardman($10.4M)
L'Jarius Sneed($7.4M)
Willie Gay Jr.($7.1M)
Khalen Saunders($6.4M)
Andrew Wylie($4.7M)
Clyde Edwards-Helaire($4.3M)

11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Who? We have already been discussing Chris Jones and the expiring rookie contracts. Who else has significant leverage? 

I believe he's referring to Cleveland.

Watson 55mil

Garrett 29mil

Cooper 24mil

Teller 15mil

Chubb 15mil

Bitonio 15mil

Johnson 14mil

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Thornhill had flashes of coverage and a lot of versatility. He should do well in he FA market. For coverage, you can use a big CB with ball skills. If only we had one...

These are Spotrac numbers

CALCULATED MARKET VALUES

Chris Jones($30.1M)
JuJu Smith-Schuster($14.7M)
Frank Clark($12.4M)
Mecole Hardman($10.4M)
L'Jarius Sneed($7.4M)
Willie Gay Jr.($7.1M)
Khalen Saunders($6.4M)
Andrew Wylie($4.7M)
Clyde Edwards-Helaire($4.3M)

The bold was in reference to Cleveland. I was pointing out that teams at the top of the list KC_Guy shared are not necessarily in better cap situations than us. Cleveland has the highest salary cap of any team this year because of roll over, but it's all already spent because they have a ton of expensive, and in many cases bad, contracts.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

The bold was in reference to Cleveland. I was pointing out that teams at the top of the list KC_Guy shared are not necessarily in better cap situations than us. Cleveland has the highest salary cap of any team this year because of roll over, but it's all already spent because they have a ton of expensive, and in many cases bad, contracts.

Noted and agreed. Veach has done an excellent job of clearing dead costs.

It's interesting watching the blogosphere since the announcement that OB Jr would not be tagged. About 1/3 had my first take, that the Chiefs were letting him walk. The other 2/3 think an agreement in principle has been reached and it all ironing out details. 

When you add this to the news that Frank Clark was (will be?) released, it seems obvious that Veach is settling the questions on the OL to focus his attention on the DL. One thing we have learned is that Veach is capable of transforming a whole unit in a single offseason. This is still in house.

Chris Jones
Mike Danna
Tershawn Wharton (RFA assumed retained)
George Karlaftis

That's a solid starting place, but only that. We need to add at least one veteran and a couple of draft picks. Re-signing Nnadi and/or Saunders would be a nice step forward. End of career veterans like Carlos Dunlap are going to be around. We could go into this draft looking to add 2-3 pieces at various positions and points in the draft.

Anyone think we’re tagging Juju? I hope not, but I guess it could happen.

I’m pretty surprised about Clark.  Folks saying we’ll keep talking to him, you mean until it’s officially announced?  Once we cut him his dead money is on the books, regardless if we’d re-sign him…or am I missing something? Guess we’ll have to sign Kahlil Mack when he gets cut.

The Brown thing is very confusing to me. In a draft with this value, tagging him and taking him for a second seems like it would have been a good move (I think we could have gotten a first but just saying to get a pick higher than 3rd).  My one thought is if they thought they wouldn’t be able to trade him because of his contract demands?

Going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Noted and agreed. Veach has done an excellent job of clearing dead costs.

It's interesting watching the blogosphere since the announcement that OB Jr would not be tagged. About 1/3 had my first take, that the Chiefs were letting him walk. The other 2/3 think an agreement in principle has been reached and it all ironing out details. 

When you add this to the news that Frank Clark was (will be?) released, it seems obvious that Veach is settling the questions on the OL to focus his attention on the DL. One thing we have learned is that Veach is capable of transforming a whole unit in a single offseason. This is still in house.

Chris Jones
Mike Danna
Tershawn Wharton (RFA assumed retained)
George Karlaftis

That's a solid starting place, but only that. We need to add at least one veteran and a couple of draft picks. Re-signing Nnadi and/or Saunders would be a nice step forward. End of career veterans like Carlos Dunlap are going to be around. We could go into this draft looking to add 2-3 pieces at various positions and points in the draft.

I’m not sure this settles any o-line questions.  Kind of just make clear open spots of need.  If we have to let Baby Zeus go to keep Jones, I’m here for it.  I’m interested to see what wizardry Veach is scheming right now.

9 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Never say never, but no.

10 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

The Brown thing is very confusing to me. In a draft with this value, tagging him and taking him for a second seems like it would have been a good move (I think we could have gotten a first but just saying to get a pick higher than 3rd).  My one thought is if they thought they wouldn’t be able to trade him because of his contract demands?

I still think a deal will be announced this week. You do negotiations on the phone from the beach. You don't decline a tag while also letting it out that the player will be in town. That screams signing and photo op to me.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Never say never, but no.

I still think a deal will be announced this week. You do negotiations on the phone from the beach. You don't decline a tag while also letting it out that the player will be in town. That screams signing and photo op to me.

While I think signing him at this point is going to be overpaying, bottom line is, the contracts are always going to go up.  Is he the best, absolutely not, is he the best available, and would be be as a FA, yes. In the draft? Also yes. So if we sign him I guess it is what it is.  I just hope what we saw in the SB is what we’ll see going forward.

What about a pair of players.  Sign a guy like Taylor Lewan who may want to chase a ring and draft a tackle that may not be quite ready.  Lewan at 31 and with injury concerns knows the deal, maybe the draft pick plays RT to learn or just learns behind Lewan.

Just an idea for a guy like perhaps Anton Harrison or another second tier, but would answer the long term question more so than another tag sucking up 20m dollars.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Very much doubt it. Almost $20M. If I'm JuJu and I get tagged, I just sign it and play the year on that. 1 year for $20M is way more than what he should get.