2006 Ravens defense

Steelersfan43

Probably near their 2000 defense simply because they actually played a few decent quarterbacks on their schedule. Really held the Colts in check in the playoffs, but Steve McNair's three turnovers killed the Ravens. Could have easily won the Super Bowl that year. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

They're clearly a part of the "Big 6" since the 2000 Ravens.

2002 Buccaneers, 2006 Ravens, 2008 Steelers, 2013 Seahawks, 2015 Broncos

I actually think the 2003 Ravens defense might have been better than the 2006 version. They were more unheralded, and had some odd results, such holding the Rams to 121 yards and 4 turnovers yet somehow giving up 33 points. 

Trevor Pryce - Kelly Gregg - Haloti Ngata

Adalius Thomas - Bart Scott - Ray Lewis - Terrell Suggs

Chris McAlister - Ed Reed - Dawan Landry - Samari Rolle

That was their starting 11.

They’re the best i’ve ever seen. 40 forced turnovers, 60 sacks, 12.6 PPG. They did everything. 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

A great unit no question but not sure they are better than the 2000 group.  Both had the only real weakness being that other safety, Herring in 2000 and Landry in 2006 but neither were awful players either.  McAlister was a better CB in 2000 than he was in 2006 where he was pretty old.    Lewis was more dominating in 2000 as well but hard to argue with Suggs and Thomas as edge rushers much less Scott helping out Lewis in the middle.  The 2000 group was more memorable because they willed the team to victory more than once and all the plays mattered more because the offense was so suspect, the D had to almost be perfect.  

DE Rob Burnett
DT Sam Adams
DT Tony Siragusa
DE Michael McCrary
OLB Peter Boulware
MLB Ray Lewis
OLB Jamie Sharper
CB Duane Starks
CB Chris McAlister
SS Kim Herring
FS Rod Woodson

DE Trevor Pryce 
NT Kelly Gregg 
DE Haloti Ngata
OLB Adalius Thomas 
ILB Bart Scott 
ILB Ray Lewis 
OLB Terrell Suggs
CB Chris McAlister 
CB Samari Rolle
SS Dawan Landry 
FS Ed Reed 

It does beat Tampa Bay though, that Tampa Bay D was great but at LB outside of Brooks was nothing great, Quarles could run though but Brooks did everything at that level and Spires opposite Rice was just ok.  

DE Greg Spires
DT Anthony McFarland
DT Warren Sapp
DE Simeon Rice
OLB Alshermond Singleton
MLB Shelton Quarles
OLB Derrick Brooks
CB Brian Kelly
CB Ronde Barber
SS John Lynch
FS Dexter Jackson

Arguably last year the best D, the 49ers do not stack up with those two units above at all, good but they had so many injuries at LB and CB and even DT on and off.  

DE Bosa
DT Kinlaw
DT Armstead / Ridgeway
DE Ebukam / Omenihu
OLB Greenlaw
ILB Warner
OLB Al-Shaair
CB C. Ward
CB Lenoir / A. Thomas
CB (Slot) Ward / Moseley
SS Hufanga
FS  Gipson / J. Ward

J. Ward, Al-Shaair, Moseley, Ebukam, Omenihu, Ridgeway etc are all free agents as well so will look different next year and they need some other edge guys or DT help.

2006 Ravens defense was the best defense I've seen in my life. The story always ends up getting told about how far a team got (regardless of how their particular unit outclassed Manning's SB winning Colts team), but they covered pass/run, had the brute intimidation, and forced playmaking scores better than any other unit in the 2000's IMO. There is no Ravens team that I'm more disappointed in the ending (2011, 2019, etc) than that team. Just needed something close to passable QB/offensive play to win any game. The defense was literally trying to SCORE more than the offense on the field.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

2006 Ravens defense was the best defense I've seen in my life. The story always ends up getting told about how far a team got (regardless of how their particular unit outclassed Manning's SB winning Colts team), but they covered pass/run, had the brute intimidation, and forced playmaking scores better than any other unit in the 2000's IMO. There is no Ravens team that I'm more disappointed in the ending (2011, 2019, etc) than that team. Just needed something close to passable QB/offensive play to win any game. The defense was literally trying to SCORE more than the offense on the field.

Really makes you wonder what things would be like if they entered the Brees sweepstakes; would have been a lot better than fossilized Steve McNair.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, wackywabbit said:

The Ravens pass offense was average that year, but that rushing offense was horrendous even with Lewis getting his 1K+. Shame. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

that 2006 game where ben got destroyed by Bart scott and we lost 27-0 was maybe the most annoyed I been watching a regular season steelers game. The game felt so hopeless. I was legit concerned for ben's health that game. made the rematch in 07 where ben and James Harrison destroyed them in MNF more satisfying tho

Edited by August4th

4 hours ago, August4th said:

that 2006 game where ben got destroyed by Bart scott and we lost 27-0 was maybe the most annoyed I been watching a regular season steelers game. The game felt so hopeless. I was legit concerned for ben's health that game. made the rematch in 07 where ben and James Harrison destroyed them in MNF more satisfying tho

And the other game against this team later in the season,this time in Pittsburgh were not much better for the steelers.The Ravens won this game 31-7!