2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Depends on what the contract is. He’s due $14M from the Vikings, and amount that all 32 teams deemed so ridiculous that the Vikings couldn’t even get a 7th for someone to swallow that contract . The next tier of RBs are the $10.091M that Barkley,  Pollard (lol), and Jacob’s (lolololololol) are making. I don’t think cook gets that either. That puts him in the $7-9M range. Throw in that the Vikings have to pay $2M this season which will help ease the space at the top and I expect he’ll get a 2 year $14 contract ($6m this year and $8m next) $8m guaranteed. Is that palatable? Perhaps

If he stays healthy it's absolutely palatable. And if we trade Sutton at some point (or cut him), it's extremely palatable.

• 2 months later...

Weird thought.  What if Stidham sucks this preseason, and Trey Lance goes on the block?  I would trade for Trey Lance, keep DiNucci, cut Stidham, and continue to try and develop Trey.  If SP can develop him, you have some insurance, too, in case Russ continues to suck. And if Trey sucks...meh, hopefully, it was the waste of a 7th round pick or something like that.   Then you can say you tried, and then punt if needed. 

59 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Weird thought.  What if Stidham sucks this preseason, and Trey Lance goes on the block?  I would trade for Trey Lance, keep DiNucci, cut Stidham, and continue to try and develop Trey.  If SP can develop him, you have some insurance, too, in case Russ continues to suck. And if Trey sucks...meh, hopefully, it was the waste of a 7th round pick or something like that.   Then you can say you tried, and then punt if needed. 

Do you really think you can get Lance for a late-round pick ????   I'll have some of what he's having, please !!!

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If Kyle gave up on developing Trey...Payton is not going to do any better

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

If Kyle gave up on developing Trey...Payton is not going to do any better

Not to mention that the only way Lance comes cheaply is if he's down to his last cheap year.  As long as you have a QB with multiple cheap, cost-controlled years, teams aren't giving them away for late-rd draft picks.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Not to mention that the only way Lance comes cheaply is if he's down to his last cheap year.  As long as you have a QB with multiple cheap, cost-controlled years, teams aren't giving them away for late-rd draft picks.

I also don’t think Kyle has, at all, given up on Lance. He’s suffered two terrible injuries and yeah, while he’s been on the field the returns haven’t been great, but Kyle and Lynch knew they were rolling the dice with a raw prospect with sky-high upside. Josh Allen was thrown to the wolves as a raw rookie and now he’s a perennial MVP candidate and a household name. If Lance can stay healthy, he can still be developed. 

But also, the Niners are absolutely stacked and have a win-now roster. They can win a Super Bowl with a game-manager like Purdy if they have even average luck on the injury front. They have 2 more seasons with Lance under control, there is zero reason to move on now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I also don’t think Kyle has, at all, given up on Lance. He’s suffered two terrible injuries and yeah, while he’s been on the field the returns haven’t been great, but Kyle and Lynch knew they were rolling the dice with a raw prospect with sky-high upside. Josh Allen was thrown to the wolves as a raw rookie and now he’s a perennial MVP candidate and a household name. If Lance can stay healthy, he can still be developed. 

But also, the Niners are absolutely stacked and have a win-now roster. They can win a Super Bowl with a game-manager like Purdy if they have even average luck on the injury front. They have 2 more seasons with Lance under control, there is zero reason to move on now. 

I agree. One of the things Lance has going against him is how competitive the 49ers are. They can't risk the growing pains of essentially a raw rookie QB. I anticipate, barring another injury, they'll do what GB did with Love and extend him an extra year to get a little more run way at the end of his rookie contract and see what they ultimately have. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Agreed - my main point is that the 49ers aren't going to bail on Lance until they have to, and certainly not at any major discount.   Purdy may help them win more games now, but he's also more limited ceiling-wise (but Lance is still so raw - not surprising when you have so few NFL snaps, on top of so few college snaps).    As you alluded to, that also makes it hard to knowingly worsen your chances to win reg season games in the goal of letting Lance learn.   

I mentioned it in the A-Rich News thread, but a team that has no contention hopes is just better off playing the raw guy and letting him learn in today's cap era.   The days of patiently grooming a guy over 3+ years doesn't work well now, because then you have to commit real $ to an unknown quantity (A-Rod's drama in GB is the only reason why it took 3+ years to commit to Love).   Pre-cap, you could groom a guy 2-3 years and still own his rights and afford to wait - not so much anymore.

Still, while the 49ers can win with a game manager, JimmyG's limitations are what prevented them from beating Mahomes & co several years ago, and why they lost to LAR 2 years ago in the NFCG.   It makes threading the needle to get the ring so much tougher.     So they'll always be looking for the next big thing.   Unless Purdy goes HAM (and nothing really says he will yet, certainly not a 7 game SSS), they'll always keep the doors open for possible upgrades. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:56 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Okay, let me ask this.  If Lance became available, would you trade for him?

I liked what I saw from Lance, if we could get a reasonable deal I would gladly take him over either of our backups...just don't think he'll come at a decent price. 

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

This has been a trend of the Broncos over the years, do you think they start making cuts to give some of the guys a chance to catch on to another team or wait to see if trades can be made ?

New for this year - teams don't have to get down to the 53-man roster until the end of the preseason.   No cutting to 90, or 70, etc.    So I don't think they'll go that route UNLESS it's an injury-cut, in which case if the player clears waivers, they can be sent to IR.   

It also means that there's going to be a massive set of cuts in the last week before week 1, could see more roster turnover (teams cutting to 50-51 guys, and getting the last couple of guys off other teams).  I think that's very possible for our K situation (Michael Badgley has already become available, as an example).

Edited by Broncofan

On 8/19/2023 at 6:56 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Okay, let me ask this.  If Lance became available, would you trade for him?

Hard no. Unless you want Drew Lock v2 on the roster.

Plus, the Broncos havent shown any ability in recent history to be able to develop a QB. Thats what he is, a project QB who is currently QB3 on his own team that cant beat out Sam Darnold.

Lance's issues are not arm talent, but literally everything else. Which is where Osweiler struggled, Lock struggled, Lynch struggled, ect.

Edited by AkronsWitness