2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hard no. Unless you want Drew Lock v2 on the roster.

Plus, the Broncos havent shown any ability in recent history to be able to develop a QB. Thats what he is, a project QB who is currently QB3 on his own team that cant beat out Sam Darnold.

Lance's issues are not arm talent, but literally everything else. Which is where Osweiler struggled, Lock struggled, Lynch struggled, ect.

Trey Lance’s struggles come from the fact that he’s had just 609 pass attempts since junior high. That’s 609 pass attempts in high school, college, NFL pre and regular season. Combined. The guy needs real reps and he needs them desperately. Would love to see a terrible team like the Bucs trade for him and give him a full season of work. 

Trey just isn't going to get time at his next stop, though. They aren't going to have much of anything invested in him, so why would they have the (insane amount of) patience required to deal with that project.

I just really wasn't impressed with Lance at all as a thrower, I'm sorry. He made two throws that in a regular season game would be game-changers the opposite way. That one he threw over the middle was just .... so bad. Drew Sanders overran it by like 5 yards it was that late and that obvious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Trey Lance’s struggles come from the fact that he’s had just 609 pass attempts since junior high. That’s 609 pass attempts in high school, college, NFL pre and regular season. Combined. The guy needs real reps and he needs them desperately. Would love to see a terrible team like the Bucs trade for him and give him a full season of work. 

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Trey just isn't going to get time at his next stop, though. They aren't going to have much of anything invested in him, so why would they have the (insane amount of) patience required to deal with that project.

I just really wasn't impressed with Lance at all as a thrower, I'm sorry. He made two throws that in a regular season game would be game-changers the opposite way. That one he threw over the middle was just .... so bad. Drew Sanders overran it by like 5 yards it was that late and that obvious.

That's the gist of the problem in today's NFL.   @broncosfan_101 is spot on that Lance has nowhere near enough reps to develop into a NFL-ready QB.   He needs 500-800 more at a minimum to know what you have.   And @lomaxgrUK is spot on that no team will commit that much time other than if they have no choice, or the cupboard is completely bare, and they are committed to the rebuild.   

In that vein, 101's call on Tampa is one of the few spots that applies - Baker & Kyle Trask aren't the long-term solutions, so that's one team that might give an entire season of on-the-job training to him.  But that's about it.  Any team who even *thinks* they want to compete, won't be that patient.   The other rebuilders have their young rookie-deal guy that they want to see if he's the answe (ATL - Ridder <not sold>, CAR - Young, HOU - Stroud, IND - A-Rich, etc.). 

For a team like SF that wanted to contend, it was a bad fit - a team like IND committing to A-Rich early is unfortunately the only viable path in today's cap era.  Before the cap, you could commit to 2-3 years apprenticeship, and then hand over the reins in year 4, or even year 5.    No way you can take that much time now - you pretty much need to know what you have by end of year 2 with a non-1st rounder, and end-of-year 3 with a 1st rounder (with the 5th-year option decision looming - and being fully guaranteed).    Jordan Love happened, but only because A-Rod had MVP years in 2020-1 that was unexpected showing slow regression in 2017-19 (2011 & 2014 being his previous MVP years, and last time he was all-pro level).    The plan was to hand over reins in 2021-2 but A-Rod's play changed all that.   Unless you have an all-pro QB, waiting around on a 1st round QB beyond 1 year before letting them play just isn't feasible nowadays.

Edited by Broncofan

If a team with a need for a QB is going nowhere at the trade deadline, let's say the Broncos, and Russ is why the Broncos suck, why not trade for Lance and let him play out the rest of the season.  The worst-case scenario is that we lose enough to pick up a high draft pick in next year's draft to where we might get a chance at Caleb Williams.  

The QB class this next year I read, is pretty good.  So...maybe there is a strategy around that.  

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There’s that.

Plus he also just doesn’t process quickly. And in the preseason against vanilla defenses and with players who will be selling life insurance in 2 weeks. Kyle’s offense requires quick decision making and the ability to identify coverages quickly. Even if Kyle uses rollouts and boots and cuts the field in half, Lance is still processing too slowly. I’m not sure more reps or more coaching is going to change that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If a team with a need for a QB is going nowhere at the trade deadline, let's say the Broncos, and Russ is why the Broncos suck, why not trade for Lance and let him play out the rest of the season.  The worst-case scenario is that we lose enough to pick up a high draft pick in next year's draft to where we might get a chance at Caleb Williams.  

The QB class this next year I read, is pretty good.  So...maybe there is a strategy around that.  

If the team sucks Russ will not be the only reason at all. Lot's of reasons are starting to appear.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There’s that.

Plus he also just doesn’t process quickly. And in the preseason against vanilla defenses and with players who will be selling life insurance in 2 weeks. Kyle’s offense requires quick decision making and the ability to identify coverages quickly. Even if Kyle uses rollouts and boots and cuts the field in half, Lance is still processing too slowly. I’m not sure more reps or more coaching is going to change that. 

I watched a video on JT O'Sullivan's youtube channel (The QB school - it's really good) where he highlighted a play where the 49ers ran a ONE person route, which he claims may be the first time he's ever seen it on an NFL field when it isn't a a ST fake or something.

That's the level of faith Kyle has in Trey's ability to see the field.

• Like 3

I'll be surprised if we go into next year with Russ on the roster. He would have to show progress throughout the season to warrant his salary. That could also spell disaster for our GM with the Walton's now firmly at the helm...

At this point in our 2023 season, I expect we'll be picking high next year and it will be a QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

I'll be surprised if we go into next year with Russ on the roster. He would have to show progress throughout the season to warrant his salary. That could also spell disaster for our GM with the Walton's now firmly at the helm...

At this point in our 2023 season, I expect we'll be picking high next year and it will be a QB.

Do you realize the salary cap hit the Broncos will take ?? Not that the Walton's can't afford it, but hopefully we'd be able to trade him. That said, I think SP will gear Russ to a better season. 

23 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Do you realize the salary cap hit the Broncos will take ?? Not that the Walton's can't afford it, but hopefully we'd be able to trade him. That said, I think SP will gear Russ to a better season. 

I doubt if Sean cares. He basically has 5 years to make this work. If he doesn't see Russ as a quality solution at QB that can run his system he'll get rid of him,.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Thats why I'd really like them to do whatever to patch up the OL. That'd give a young QB a much better chance of success.

I don't see a world where Russell Wilson isn't on the roster in 2024. We'd lose $50m against the cap (via $85m dead cap) for trading or cutting him, - that's just too much to deal with, regardless of how bad he plays.

If he is that bad in 2023, then others have said, we'll have a high enough pick to go select his replacement who can then compete with him in 2024.

2025 we'd gain c. $6m against the cap for cutting him, albeit with $50m dead cap. That feels like a definite opportunity to cut ties if he's that bad.

Let's give 2023 a go first though, ay?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I doubt if Sean cares. He basically has 5 years to make this work. If he doesn't see Russ as a quality solution at QB that can run his system he'll get rid of him,.

They could always draft a QB on a rookie contract, and bench Russ, which will probably cause Russ to seek a trade, in which case he probably would have to restructure his contract with whoever else is willing to take him.  

I don't mind this scenario as the QB prospects look good this year coming out of college.  Caleb Williams, Penis from Washington seems intriguing.  Was that the same Penis from Indiana?