John Fox is still employed

G08

Just now, topwop1 said:

The only good thing I can say about hiring Dennis Allen would be that he has connections to John DeFilippo as he was under Allen's staff when coaching the Raiders, so maybe he could convince him to come be his OC in Chicago if DeFilippo doesn't end up getting a HC job himself.

Watching more of the Saints offense at work last night had me excited about what that type of system can do with our current players.

At this point I'm all for just getting a fresh, innovative, personable and hungry HC that can grow with this young core of players.

The problem with that plan is the DeFillipo will probably gone in a year and we are starting from scratch.

If we are going defense then we need a fired Offensive HC that has limited options about getting back into the league.

Exactly... you look at the top 5 rated QBs in the NFL today and you'll notice they all have scheme continuity:

Brady

Alex Smith

Brees

Rodgers

Wentz

Shocker here? All have offensive-minded head coaches (I consider Belichick a true savant)

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'll wait to crown Shanahan. He is a hell of an offensive mind, but so was McDaniels when Denver hired him.

Right now they've won 2 of 12 games, and one being a Fox-lead team.

Like you said we expected more of Fox, but beating us doesn't prove jack for Shanahan or Jimmy.

Shahanhan is a very bright offensive mind.  Just look at the offensive difference between this years Falcons under Sarkisian and last year's Falcons under Shanahan.

That being said, being a head coach and being a great playcaller/coordinator are two different things.  We'll see how he does over time in SF.  I wouldn't bet against him though.

Bears need to find their Shanhan.  A guy that's a little bit more under the radar.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Exactly... you look at the top 5 rated QBs in the NFL today and you'll notice they all have scheme continuity:

Brady

Alex Smith

Brees

Rodgers

Wentz

Shocker here? All have offensive-minded head coaches (I consider Belichick a true savant)

This is true and why I think this team should go in the offensive direction with their next HC.

That being said a guy like Matt Patricia could be the exception since he's worked under Belichick, is extremely bright, and has a background both playing and coaching offense.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with that plan is the DeFillipo will probably gone in a year and we are starting from scratch.

If we are going defense then we need a fired Offensive HC that has limited options about getting back into the league.

I'm not too thrilled about those options.  In that case you are looking at guys like Gary Kubiak, Mike McCoy and potentially Dirk Koetter.

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm not too thrilled about those options.  In that case you are looking at guys like Gary Kubiak, Mike McCoy and potentially Dirk Koetter.

I think Patricia has to have one of those guys in his pocket.

If Matt Patricia walks in and says I am bring Mike McCoy [OC] and Todd Downing [QB Coach] then I am way more inclined to listen.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Matt Patricia walks in and says I am bring Mike McCoy [OC] and Todd Downing [QB Coach] then I am way more inclined to listen.

It wouldn't be the worst.  This is assuming that Downing gets let go in Oakland.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

that would be a good staff and I think McCoy gives you three years before he is talked about again as a head coach option for team and you would have to replace him. 

The bears shouldn't lock themselves into a "offensive minded coach" they should explore all options including defensive coaches.  Teryl Austin and Matt Patricia would be excellent hires

What do you think of the moves the browns are making? Hired John Dorsey today.  Hue Jackson looks like he will be fired.  a new head coach will have the QB of his choice, 100 million in cap space, 1.1 and 1.7, 3 2's, 3 3's, the stability of a new GM.  If I am a guy looking for a head coaching job Cleveland might be a more preferable spot than Chicago  

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Realistically the Bears need a coach worthy of being here for 10 years. If that is Matt Patricia then I am fine with that.

I will make whoever he wants as OC one of the highest paid guys in the league so we have continuity.

sounds like we should bring lovie smith back

5 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

What do you think of the moves the browns are making? Hired John Dorsey today.  Hue Jackson looks like he will be fired.  a new head coach will have the QB of his choice, 100 million in cap space, 1.1 and 1.7, 3 2's, 3 3's, the stability of a new GM.  If I am a guy looking for a head coaching job Cleveland might be a more preferable spot than Chicago  

John Dorsey is a good hire for them, just not sure why their owner came out and said Hue Jackson is safe for another year.  Let the GM decide that.  Sounds like something Bears management would do and has done before (see Emery-Lovie, Pace-Fox).

I am not overly concerned about what the other teams are doing.  Bears will have definite interest.  Anyone who doesn't think so is just overreacting.  There are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL.  Some one worthy will want the Bears job, you can bet on that.

Also wanted to mention that the Browns just proved that you can do your research and plan who you want to hire long before you actually fire your coach/GM.  Coaching is a bit different because you have to wait until after the regular season to interview candidates, but don't think that Pace doesn't already have a list of guys he has in mind.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

John Dorsey is a good hire for them, just not sure why their owner came out and said Hue Jackson is safe for another year.  Let the GM decide that.  Sounds like something Bears management would do and has done before (see Emery-Lovie, Pace-Fox).

I am not overly concerned about what the other teams are doing.  Bears will have definite interest.  Anyone who doesn't think so is just overreacting.  There are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL.  Some one worthy will want the Bears job, you can bet on that.

Agreed, we could have got Bruce Arians or Adam Gase as coaches we decided not to. I think we can get a coach at least partially on our terms. I am against Matt Patricia I just don't trust anyone from the BIll Bellick tree. Plus we need an offensive coach who is tied to Mitch. 

Archived