John Fox is still employed

G08

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Why would I not look at the speed of the best offense in the NFL?

Because we have no idea if we are running that offense. The other top offenses in the league have a lot of speed.

The Bears are the worst downfield offense in the league, adding speed will help that. In my opinion we are stocked with big possession guys if we bring back Inman.

I am fine with going big at WR, but I hope we can do better than Jordan Matthews.

Just now, WindyCity said:

We have 2 of them already in Inman and Meredith.

He wouldn't be my first, second or even third choice in FA.  Just saying he's not  a bad option.

Personally I'd be targeting Josh Gordon (risky I know, but dominant #1).  After that any of Terelle Pryor, Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins.  We need some speed.

I'm not saying Matthews is some God... but IF we go the DeFilippo route, he has experience in that offense. Carson Wentz LOVED him, and I'm not sure how you can discount his production last season in that offense. Add to all that he's 25 years old team leader who is well respected not only in his position room but also the rest of the team.

Who else is out there in FA? Get Matthews and a rookie burner on the outside, Meredith in the slot, White as WR4 and you're decent.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Who else is out there in FA? Get Matthews and a rookie burner on the outside, Meredith in the slot, White as WR4 and you're decent.

As mentioned, Josh Gordon, Terrelle Pryor, Martavis Bryant should all hit FA.  These guys are all big targets with the speed and separation we could use.

Then you have the second tier guys like Allen Robinson, Jaron Brown and Donte Moncrief.

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

Gordon scares the hell out of me once I read about just how bad his addiction/problem was during his career.

Pryor hasn't done much of anything this season.

Yeah, Pryor is gonna be a 1-year flyer player. Apparently we should never do that again given how it played out with Wheaton. 

I’m with you G08 I don’t think we need GREAT WR. It certainly wouldn’t hurt, but we need a core group of at least good players. Especially if we’re getting a Flip or Nagy - those offenses spread the ball all over and are both highly efficient without a dominant #1 WR. More than likely Inman and Meredith are two of those guys on our roster next year. From there we need 3 more guys IMO - 2 vets and a rookie is how I’d go it. 

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Do you have faith in the Bears pro personnel department?

Previous failures by that group have a direct impact on this season. They have generally been bad in free agency, and they can't be that this year.

While the Glennon money is gone, the concern over how bad the free agent evaluations were this season should remain. Unless people are fired the same people that said Dion Sims was worth 10 millions guaranteed and that Glennon was worth 18 million will be trying to fix the WR position.

More faith than you do, obviously. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m with you G08 I don’t think we need GREAT WR. It certainly wouldn’t hurt, but we need a core group of at least good players. Especially if we’re getting a Flip or Nagy - those offenses spread the ball all over and are both highly efficient without a dominant #1 WR. More than likely Inman and Meredith are two of those guys on our roster next year. From there we need 3 more guys IMO - 2 vets and a rookie is how I’d go it. 

I'd much rather have quicker, sharper route running WRs than pure burners on a track. Like you said, look what Wheaton has done (jack and ****) this season.

I do worry, however, that Inman and Meredith are awfully similar players. If we can keep both for cheap, I'd keep Inman as a WR4 and depth/insurance in case Meredith isn't back fully from his surgery.

I think the 2nd tier of WRs has some interesting guys who can run

Paul Richardson, John Brown [health], Taylor Gabriel

Some interesting guys that can run routes and make something happen after the catch

Marquise Lee, Ryan Grant

Some I would take flyers on

Donte Moncrief, Jaron Brown

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the 2nd tier of WRs has some interesting guys who can run

Paul Richardson, John Brown [health], Taylor Gabriel

Some interesting guys that can run routes and make something happen after the catch

Marquise Lee, Ryan Grant

Some I would take flyers on

Donte Moncrief, Jaron Brown

I would put Pryor in the flyer group too, though his skill set also similar to that of Meredith and Inman. I’m not so much interested in Ryan Grant. I think there’s not a lot of upside there. Gabriel is SO small too. He and Cohen as a receiver are very very similar IMO. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I would put Pryor in the flyer group too, though his skill set also similar to that of Meredith and Inman. I’m not so much interested in Ryan Grant. I think there’s not a lot of upside there. Gabriel is SO small too. He and Cohen as a receiver are very very similar IMO. 

I feel like Pryor thrives outside compared to the slot like Meredith. He also does better with longer throes it seems than short tosses. I could see the benefits of having Pryor at the X to use his size on the outside, Meredith at the Y and someone else at the Z. Be it a drafted WR like Ridley, a FA like Richardson, or someone else. Maybe Cohem could transition there, IDK.

Inman can do it in a pinch but I think he is better from the slot. Getting him and Meredith both in the slot in 4 wides could be promising. 

Archived