Ravens WR Rashod Bateman calls out GM Eric DeCosta

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hollywood, Duvernay, and Bateman are all good NFL receivers. I don't know how many All-Pro WR's you're going to produce when you're regularly in the bottom 3/4 in terms of passing offense and only average like 3,100 passing yards per year since Lamar took over. 

Yes.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The one critical mistake he did make though was drafting Hollywood Brown over Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and DK Metcalf.

This contradicts what you just said above, though. We don't know how those guys would look in a Lamar offense. They might look like how Scottsdale Brown looked in Baltimore.

For all we know, DeCosta drafted good receivers who couldn't succeed in that system, that no one can.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Yes.

This contradicts what you just said above, though. We don't know how those guys would look in a Lamar offense. They might look like how Scottsdale Brown looked in Baltimore.

For all we know, DeCosta drafted good receivers who couldn't succeed in that system, that no one can.

Hollywood Brown had 1,000 yards in his final season with the Ravens and they were able to recoup a FRP for him so I think it all worked out. But in a vacuum it's pretty clear that Deebo, AJB, and DK are all better players than Hollywood.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hollywood Brown had 1,000 yards in his final season with the Ravens and they were able to recoup a FRP for him so I think it all worked out. But in a vacuum it's pretty clear that Deebo, AJB, and DK are all better players than Hollywood.

While I believe the same thing as you, 1000 yards is really not a big deal. It's worth a third rounder. The Cardinals got sold on the idea that Brown would do more once he left the Ravens, which is as yet to be seen. As of right now the Ravens fleeced the Cardinals. That could change.

I'm just saying that if Deebo went to the Ravens instead, he might be looking like Bateman right now and then the Ravens would still get a first for him because deals with the devil and all.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:53 AM, NudeTayne said:

in a Lamar offense.

Correction. In a Greg Roman offense.

Lamar has shown he can at least be a 3500 yd passer in other schemes (college)… while in 10 years at the NFL level with 3 different teams, Greg Roman has never had even a 3500 yd passer.

Alex Smith hit 4K outside of Roman’s scheme. I don’t doubt Lamar could at least see Alex Smith level passing numbers outside of a Roman offense.

It’s hard to hit 4K when the QB is handing the ball off 40x/game.

My understanding is Monken has a more balanced passing attack, so we’ll see what Lamar looks like in such a system.

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Correction. In a Greg Roman offense.

Lamar has shown he can at least be a 3500 yd passer in other schemes (college)… while in 10 years at the NFL level with 3 different teams, Greg Roman has never had even a 3500 yd passer.

Lol we're doing college numbers

Alex Smith hit 4K outside of Roman’s scheme. I don’t doubt Lamar could at least see Alex Smith level passing numbers outside of a Roman offense.

Maybe

It’s hard to hit 4K when the QB is handing the ball off 40x/game.

I mean, a ton of his runs aren't designed. He could throw more but doesn't.

My understanding is Monken has a more balanced passing attack, so we’ll see what Lamar looks like in such a system.

Or maybe we won't.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:28 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

DeCosta was right. Bateman was right to take offense to it. I’d think less of Bateman if he was cool with it.

The perfect take.  The issue I take with what DeCosta said though - It's not just the WR's or drafting, it's the entire eco system.  You got a HC who wants to be run first.  The OC they fired has failed WR's everywhere he's been.  They need to look at the positional coach unable to develop anyone (their best WR's under JH have all been outside signings/trades other than Torrey Smith).  Lastly, they need to look at their QB who really struggles seeing the field outside the numbers and even outside the middle of the field within the first 15 yards - but I'll say if you want to blame Roman, that's fine but that better change this year if LJ is back.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

The perfect take.  The issue I take with what DeCosta said though - It's not just the WR's or drafting, it's the entire eco system.  You got a HC who wants to be run first.  The OC they fired has failed WR's everywhere he's been.  They need to look at the positional coach unable to develop anyone (their best WR's under JH have all been outside signings/trades other than Torrey Smith).  Lastly, they need to look at their QB who really struggles seeing the field outside the numbers and even outside the middle of the field within the first 15 yards - but I'll say if you want to blame Roman, that's fine but that better change this year if LJ is back.

The funniest part is that after 2020(?) Harbaugh went out and hired 2 outside guys to work with the WR's - Tee Martin and Keith Williams - and it made literally no difference. Hell, if anything it made our WR's even worse! I don't know where the breakdown in Roman's system ends and where the lack of details in the WR coaching begins, but some of the routes and combinations and plays I saw from our WR's this year were just...mind numbingly AWFUL.

For example (and I have the screenshots of this somewhere in one of our GDT against Pittsburgh), there was a play I watched where 2 players (I think it was Andrews and Duvernay) were supposed to run drag routes crossing each other to create a pick/rub over the middle of the field so that Gus Edwards could release into the flat afterwards. What happened is BOTH Andrews and Duvernay ended up just standing perpendicular to the LoS for like 2-3 seconds staring at linebackers while Tyler Huntley is at the top of his drop waiting for someone to be open. It was hilarious how bad it looked and just highlighted how bad the Ravens were at the details of their passing game if guys are being coached to do stuff like that.

Anyways, I digress. There have been NUMEROUS former WR's here who have bashed the system and how bad it is for them. I have to take their word for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The funniest part is that after 2020(?) Harbaugh went out and hired 2 outside guys to work with the WR's - Tee Martin and Keith Williams - and it made literally no difference. Hell, if anything it made our WR's even worse! I don't know where the breakdown in Roman's system ends and where the lack of details in the WR coaching begins, but some of the routes and combinations and plays I saw from our WR's this year were just...mind numbingly AWFUL.

For example (and I have the screenshots of this somewhere in one of our GDT against Pittsburgh), there was a play I watched where 2 players (I think it was Andrews and Duvernay) were supposed to run drag routes crossing each other to create a pick/rub over the middle of the field so that Gus Edwards could release into the flat afterwards. What happened is BOTH Andrews and Duvernay ended up just standing perpendicular to the LoS for like 2-3 seconds staring at linebackers while Tyler Huntley is at the top of his drop waiting for someone to be open. It was hilarious how bad it looked and just highlighted how bad the Ravens were at the details of their passing game if guys are being coached to do stuff like that.

Anyways, I digress. There have been NUMEROUS former WR's here who have bashed the system and how bad it is for them. I have to take their word for it.

It’s just so strange to have an institutional breakdown for so long. It really is a top to bottom breakdown of managing the position. It would make a better case though if players went elsewhere and had success. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s just so strange to have an institutional breakdown for so long. It really is a top to bottom breakdown of managing the position. It would make a better case though if players went elsewhere and had success. 

Precisely. We scout and draft bad WR's, then we also fail to develop any of them. It's pretty wild.

And then there's Darren Waller...

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

Ravens should just stick to getting WR1 or 2 through free agency/trades. that's worked well from them. Mason, Boldin, smith etc..

This year's WR FA class is AWFUL though, and we don't have the cap space to do much this year since we're paying Lamar $32.3 million unless we trade him or extend him.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

• 2 weeks later...