Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

Man that is a great contract for the Saints. Seems to be true, that he really wanted to be a Saint. If he plays well, you can have him on the roster for at least three years with pretty low cap hits.

Saints will now restructure Lattimore, release Winston (maybe as a June 1st cut) and try to extend Onyemata and will be under the cap. Nice one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So even though Mac Jones isn't that good and JMD had to schematically protect him at an insane level, they still had a top 5 scoring offense. I'd say that's a success on JMD's part. Our offense played pretty well last year even with a makeshift OL and injuries to key guys.

The Cleveland Browns had a top 8 scoring offense. 

Their personnel consisted of Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Kellen Winslow Jr, Braylon Edwards, and Joe Jurevicius. 

Their offense was helmed by the great Rob Chudzinski, who went on to do nothing. 

Derek Anderson immediately reverted back to being aeh backup QB. 

Jamal Lewis followed up with 2 lackluster seasons and retired. 

Kellen Winslow Jr had a couple of decent seasons l, mostly in Tampa. 

Braylon Edwards did nothing aside from one one-off in SF. 

One-off good seasons happen. They're not special. Nick Foles' had one of the greatest seasons ever and only started 10 games. Nobody called Chip Kelly a QB whisperer for it. And nobody said Nick Foles was a great franchise QB as a result. 

Lastly, make up your mind. The offense played well and yet week in, week out you pissed and moaned about how the offense was letting the defense down? 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

One-off good seasons happen. They're not special. Nick Foles' had one of the greatest seasons ever and only started 10 games. Nobody called Chip Kelly a QB whisperer for it. And nobody said Nick Foles was a great franchise QB as a result. 

Lastly, make up your mind. The offense played well and yet week in, week out you pissed and moaned about how the offense was letting the defense down? 

They do, but the question was has any QB other than Brady ever had success in JMD's system and I think Mac's rookie season should definitely be considered a success.

Carr did let the defense down a ton in the clutch.

Good place for Carr. Has pieces on the Offense and a better than Raiders Defense as long as it's under 20 it's the best he has had if I recall. Being in a dome and winning the division would probably be a playoff win and if the next game is in Dallas, SF etc that's probably another win. Derek use to get wound up the 1st quarter and overthrow so I'd expect the excitment of proving himself and getting chemistry will take a few games. Shotgun and 2 min Offense is his best when he doesn't think and just reacts. Allen knows him well enough and Derek is an incredibly hard worker. I wish him success and redemption. I don't see the Raiders in the Super Bowl anytime soon but if it was us against Derek's Saints I'd get that Gruden feeling of 'on no, here we go again'   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They do, but the question was has any QB other than Brady ever had success in JMD's system and I think Mac's rookie season should definitely be considered a success.

Carr did let the defense down a ton in the clutch.

Yup. Damn Carr let Baker Mayfield go 99 yards in a minute with a team he signed with 2 days prior. He also let Kyler Murray run around for like 40 seconds on a 4th and long, then again on a 2pt conversion. 

We all said drafting him to play MLB was a dumb move.....🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

Yup. Damn Carr let Baker Mayfield go 99 yards in a minute with a team he signed with 2 days prior. He also let Kyler Murray run around for like 40 seconds on a 4th and long, then again on a 2pt conversion. 

We all said drafting him to play MLB was a dumb move.....🤷🏼‍♂️

The defense threw a duck right before half time against the Rams that would've put us up two scores and threw 3 interceptions against the Steelers, thank you for reminding me. We had ball with a chance to tie or take the lead late in a ton of games and Carr just wasn't very good in clutch situations.

4 hours ago, Kingram said:

Rodgers got 78% of the votes.

2 man race. The final vote and how the race went were alot closer. Tom Brady got more votes than Carr in 2016 and as many as he got in 2016 (Brady came in 2nd place). 

So in both races the second place finisher had the same amount of votes.

The big difference was... Carr was basically DQ'd for getting injured and Brady had many voters saying they wouldn't consider him at all because of the suspension. Everyone knew it was going to Ryan for the last third or so of the season. 

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I must say it is kind of funny that this past season the Saints held a Derek Carr led offense to one of the worst offensive performances in NFL history and now a few months later are giving him a contract worth $150 million.

He was just happy to get past the 50 yard line during his visit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He was just happy to get past the 50 yard line during his visit

Lol I don’t think he even did that. If memory serves me right they put Stidham in for the final drive of the game where they got past the 50. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The defense threw a duck right before half time against the Rams that would've put us up two scores and threw 3 interceptions against the Steelers, thank you for reminding me. We had ball with a chance to tie or take the lead late in a ton of games and Carr just wasn't very good in clutch situations.

In other words, you can't make your mind up as usual. 

To be fair, if you argue with yourself the way you do, you can't be wrong I guess?

In other words, you can't make your mind up as usual. 

To be fair, if you argue with yourself the way you do, you can't be wrong I guess?

You think Derek Carr was good in the clutch last season? He had a 39% comp with under 4 min left in games we were trailing, lol.

• Like 1