Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

6 hours ago, Kingram said:

He is a massive upgrade to Dalton and Winston lol

Agree to disagree. He's an improvement, but "massive" is an overstatement. Zach Wilson to Aaron Rogers would be a massive upgrade. Either way, it won't matter if Carmichael can't figure out how to run an offense.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You think Derek Carr was good in the clutch last season? He had a 39% comp with under 4 min left in games we were trailing, lol.

Dude. Literally 2 just two hours ago:

"Our offense played pretty well..."

Enough with the flippy floppy arguments. You'll just keep contradicting your own statements to continually be "right". 

Have your cake and eat it too. 

Edited by ronjon1990

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I must say it is kind of funny that this past season the Saints held a Derek Carr led offense to one of the worst offensive performances in NFL history and now a few months later are giving him a contract worth $150 million.

Yeh, that was dreadful. However, it was reported the whole team was suffering some kind of bug that weekend so I’m inclined to give a little leeway on that whole performance. Everything just seemed off that game.

Don’t like this for the Saints at all. I think their roster is getting older & they have an awful HC topped with a questionable hiring in Joe Woods. I think they were in a great position to tank this upcoming season & nab Caleb/Maye while getting rid of Dennis Allen in the process. Carr is average at best. I think they’ll be in the same spot Atlanta has been in from 2017-current & that’s purgatory.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

Carr is average at best

Carr is average (probably slightly above average) and at best has finished top 3 in MVP voting. That occurred when he had a good OL, which is something the Saints can currently offer him. In his best seasons he is a fringe top 10 QB, and other seasons probably closer to top 15. Not saying I think the Saints are leaders in the NFC by any means, but surely they are leaders for the NFC South and are currently in an NFC that is about as weak as it has ever been. In the playoffs, it seems that anything can happen in the NFC right now without a true dominant looking team in the conference. 

13 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Carr is average (probably slightly above average) and at best has finished top 3 in MVP voting. That occurred when he had a good OL, which is something the Saints can currently offer him. In his best seasons he is a fringe top 10 QB, and other seasons probably closer to top 15. Not saying I think the Saints are leaders in the NFC by any means, but surely they are leaders for the NFC South and are currently in an NFC that is about as weak as it has ever been. In the playoffs, it seems that anything can happen in the NFC right now without a true dominant looking team in the conference. 

That was 7 years ago, man.

I just think signing Carr just seems like a cosmetic bandaid if anything. You’re going to keep Dennis Allen instead of the post-2023 season being the perfect opportunity of letting him go & entering a rebuild. I think a division title is the ceiling, but obviously you don’t want that to be the ceiling. Talent-wise, I think the Saints are middle of the pack due to age & injuries.

Just like your rival in Atlanta has been experiencing for the past 5 years, it seems like the Saints are about to enter the same cycle. I don’t like that at all.

3 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Don’t like this for the Saints at all. I think their roster is getting older & they have an awful HC topped with a questionable hiring in Joe Woods. I think they were in a great position to tank this upcoming season & nab Caleb/Maye while getting rid of Dennis Allen in the process. Carr is average at best. I think they’ll be in the same spot Atlanta has been in from 2017-current & that’s purgatory.

Feel the same way. That roster is getting old quick and the defense is likely to take a step back. 

Weird spot for Carr as well with a coach who is on the hot seat and kind of a dud. Feels like they are trying to do something in a 2 year window, but don't know what that something is. 

I just read through the rest of the thread and remember someone writing, name a single retread QB who took a step forward on their second team.

Like... we're talking about a QB taken in the early second round... one who played in the AFC West... then in FA went to the New Orleans Saints... hmm... not sure I can think of Drew Brees. Oh, Drew Brees.

Why? Dude has shown nothing in oak besides that he chokes. He’s in the same category as Kirk Cousins. Will never win, has never won. Purgatory. Better off rolling a rookie QB. It’s not like New Orlenas is a qb away. If that was the case why not go all in for Rodgers? A lot of money for a mediocre QB who plays decent for 8 games