2023 NFL offseason

Forge

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, not a real thing for cousins, I would imagine. At least not until after June for Minnesota. He's like 20 million more for then to trade right now than to keep. 

I wouldn't expect any real QB movement. I think this is right where the team wants to be with regards to the QB room and salary cap

I think they'll bring in a 4th guy.  I'd rather have kittle or dwelly at OT, deebo at tight end, etc instead of having to play without a qb.  If we can't win without a qb, maybe a 4th might be worth more than a 6th safety or something. 

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

Rumors are we maybe interested in trading for Kirk Cousins or A-a-ron (if NYJ doesn’t get him). Umm who turned off the Salary cap?! 

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, not a real thing for cousins, I would imagine. At least not until after June for Minnesota. He's like 20 million more for then to trade right now than to keep. 

I wouldn't expect any real QB movement. I think this is right where the team wants to be with regards to the QB room and salary cap

9 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Do these guys not think before they speak? If they actually thought hard about it then they would realize they are projecting garbage to the audience.

This and the Cousins stuff sounds like something that might have been discussed before we knew more about Brock's recovery timeline and before they brought in Darnold as their bet-hedging and Hargrave as their big free agent swing. Now, it just makes no sense. They've been very clear both in actions and in words that they really value having a quarterback on a cheap/rookie deal to pay the rest of the roster.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think they'll bring in a 4th guy.  I'd rather have kittle or dwelly at OT, deebo at tight end, etc instead of having to play without a qb.  If we can't win without a qb, maybe a 4th might be worth more than a 6th safety or something. 

yes, MUST keep a 4th guy. Even if that 4th option is on the PS. 

They gotta put that 3 QB active rule in, after what happened last season.

• Like 1

On the Cousins talk - I don't think this is a real thing. Here's my head cannon:

During the combine, the 49ers had no idea how the Purdy injury was going to go and Trey still wasn't fully cleared to train. We essentially had no healthy QBs. Lynch at the combine was probably doing due diligence on all kinds of QBs to see who was available and finding asking prices because, again, no healthy QBs at the time and no clear understanding of Purdy's elbow. 

Once the surgery happened and they got some clarity on Purdy, they probably backed away from extreme QB acquisitions and turned their attention onto FA QBs that were cost effective. 

This is really a non-story that for some reason is seeing the light of day no and not a month ago. But pundits on Twitter don't want to use logic with this because that doesn't generate the engagements and impressions. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think that they'll bring in a guy as a rookie in the 7th round or as an undrafted free agent. Someone they can stash on the practice squad. Possible that they bring in a real low grade vet that they can put on the practice squad (Jeff Driskel or Brett Rypien, maybe?) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm hearing talk about SF trading Lance for Macorkey Jones, lol... my goodness, how fun! 🤣

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I saw that too. This offseason is going to be a long one. 

He and Bill aren't on speaking terms, apparently, and BB has been shopping him. Mac had trouble with the coaching staff last summer during camp and then during the season he apparently went to the coaching staff at Alabama to try and get help with the offense, which of course Bill wouldn't like. 

This is all just random reporting, of course, so I'm not sure how real any of it is. But I will say that there have been a lot of reports over the last year about the staff's issues with Mac Jones and how stressed it has been. 

A trade of Lance for Mac would make less sense now than drafting Mac at 3 for me, to be honest. Unless we are getting something along with Mac Jones. Frankly, we already have Mac Jones...his name is Brock Purdy and he could actually maybe be better than Mac . At least Lance still offers you the ceiling if he gets the chance to develop. You can't play both Purdy and Mac, so really all your doing is increasing the stability of your backup QB. Not enough to really make me move off a potential ceiling on Lance. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

He and Bill aren't on speaking terms, apparently, and BB has been shopping him. Mac had trouble with the coaching staff last summer during camp and then during the season he apparently went to the coaching staff at Alabama to try and get help with the offense, which of course Bill wouldn't like. 

This is all just random reporting, of course, so I'm not sure how real any of it is. But I will say that there have been a lot of reports over the last year about the staff's issues with Mac Jones and how stressed it has been. 

A trade of Lance for Mac would make less sense now than drafting Mac at 3 for me, to be honest. Unless we are getting something along with Mac Jones. Frankly, we already have Mac Jones...his name is Brock Purdy and he could actually maybe be better than Mac . At least Lance still offers you the ceiling if he gets the chance to develop. You can't play both Purdy and Mac, so really all your doing is increasing the stability of your backup QB. Not enough to really make me move off a potential ceiling on Lance. 

True, we don't know how accurate that story is--especially with as tight-lipped as Bellicheck likes to be. However, if all of that IS true, could you blame Mac for doing what he did, really? Their offense was lost! There was no one who was a legit Offensive coordinator involved. It was a recipe for disaster. 

And yes, Purdy is our Mac and may even be better. Our household loves him! 😍😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

True, we don't know how accurate that story is--especially with as tight-lipped as Bellicheck likes to be. However, if all of that IS true, could you blame Mac for doing what he did, really? Their offense was lost! There was no one who was a legit Offensive coordinator involved. It was a recipe for disaster. 

And yes, Purdy is our Mac and may even be better. Our household loves him! 😍😁

I wouldn't blame Mac at all for it. That was a joke by BB. Great coach, but he's not perfect and that was him way too into his nepotism / favoritism. He just wanted to make sure they had a job and the team (unsurprisingly) suffered from it. 

I do think that Mac has a strong bounce back year this season with BOB 

• Like 3

Can I just say that I think it's kind of crazy how the football free agency world just stopped 2 weeks ago? 

I kind of get it from a QB perspective. There are a lot of "names" out there,  but Matt Ryan is probably entering retirement mode and waiting for a team to lose a starter or something. His money is guaranteed with Indy anyway. Carson Wentz may wait for an injury to a starter. Bridgewater may have just run out of chances for the most part. 

But there are so many guys beyond that who just haven't signed who are pretty good and the free agency world just kind of died. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Can I just say that I think it's kind of crazy how the football free agency world just stopped 2 weeks ago? 

I kind of get it from a QB perspective. There are a lot of "names" out there,  but Matt Ryan is probably entering retirement mode and waiting for a team to lose a starter or something. His money is guaranteed with Indy anyway. Carson Wentz may wait for an injury to a starter. Bridgewater may have just run out of chances for the most part. 

But there are so many guys beyond that who just haven't signed who are pretty good and the free agency world just kind of died. 

A lot of the QB stuff really is stuck because of the Rodgers and Lamar situations. The Ravens just have Anthony Brown (2nd year UDFA) signed at the moment. Huntley probably signs his tender at the deadline but Baltimore probably bring in Teddy B to compete if they move Lamar.

Free agency is usually pretty quick, especially with the early legal tampering period.

14 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

On the Cousins talk - I don't think this is a real thing. Here's my head cannon:

During the combine, the 49ers had no idea how the Purdy injury was going to go and Trey still wasn't fully cleared to train. We essentially had no healthy QBs. Lynch at the combine was probably doing due diligence on all kinds of QBs to see who was available and finding asking prices because, again, no healthy QBs at the time and no clear understanding of Purdy's elbow. 

Once the surgery happened and they got some clarity on Purdy, they probably backed away from extreme QB acquisitions and turned their attention onto FA QBs that were cost effective. 

This is really a non-story that for some reason is seeing the light of day no and not a month ago. But pundits on Twitter don't want to use logic with this because that doesn't generate the engagements and impressions. 

I think Shanahan and Lynch talk about everyone who is on the market.  They just spam the trade lines so nobody knows what direction they will actually go.

• Like 1