Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That's not how it works. Even if he signs a contract with the Falcons, they don't own his rights until the league management council and the NFLPA sign off on the deal. They won't award him to the Falcons until the Ravens have had their week to match the Falcons offer. If they do, his contract goes to Baltimore and they don't need to trade anything to Atlanta.

I never said they need to comp Atlanta, I said they would have to match word for word, term for term, the offer sheet.  And if they match it, they would have to immediately execute it which would mean absorbing any up front costs of the contract.  Lamar as of the new league year is no longer under contract.  You can't trade a player that you don't have under contract.  That is why Lamar either has to sign his tender to he traded (again he ain't doing that until he absolutely has to) or match an offer sheet, absorb any up front costs and cap hits and then try to trade him (again not happening bc of what it would mean for their cap and pockets)  The only way they are going to get more than 2 frps would be to trade him before the negotiation window opens on Monday, and there is literally no incentive for a team to trade for him before that negotiation window opens and the max compensation becomes 2 frps.  

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They aren’t interested because they know the Ravens offered a top end deal and Lamar balked because he wants a monster record setting guaranteed deal, and they’re not giving him that (in addition to two first rounders).

Its not that hard to understand.

• Like 6

Brought this up in the other thread - but why would the owners collude on this? 

They don’t want fully GTD contracts to be the precedent going forward, got it. But if 4-5 teams all show interest, offer him contracts similar to what Baltimore was offering, then that’ll accomplish the same thing. Seems out there to me that owners of other teams will be thinking “this guy could potentially help me win a SB, but I’m not going to let him strong arm Baltimore like this”. 

Unless they’re saying there’s the other motivation for collusion…which is kind of dumb, when you look around at some of the deals that've been given out in recent years and a couple of the ones that are coming up. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I like how he neglected to mention his injury history, and that his MVP season was three seasons ago, and his play has been shaky ever since. Love L-Jax, but RG3 needs a cold bucket of reality. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

They know he wants a fully guaranteed contract. They won't give him that. Anything else and the Ravens match and you wasted your time. 

So... like don't even check? Are they not paid enough for due diligence? 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, can’t imagine the offers will improve all that much after teams spend the brunt of their cap space in free agency. 

Not my point to suggest a team will wait, even until after the draft, let alone free agency. I'm suggesting they may not be open and transparent about their interest the first 2 hours that this guy is eligible to talk to teams.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Brought this up in the other thread - but why would the owners collude on this? 

They don’t want fully GTD contracts to be the precedent going forward, got it. But if 4-5 teams all show interest, offer him contracts similar to what Baltimore was offering, then that’ll accomplish the same thing. Seems out there to me that owners of other teams will be thinking “this guy could potentially help me win a SB, but I’m not going to let him strong arm Baltimore like this”. 

Unless they’re saying there’s the other motivation for collusion…which is kind of dumb, when you look around at some of the deals that've been given out in recent years and a couple of the ones that are coming up. 

And I guarantee the owners wouldn’t be “colluding” if this was Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow seeking fully guaranteed.

Multiple owners would give that out happily. 

They just all agree that LAMAR, specifically, isn’t worth that.

Which isn’t collusion. It’s called the market deciding youre not worth it, bud lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So... like don't even check? Are they not paid enough for due diligence? 

Not my point to suggest a team will wait, even until after the draft, let alone free agency. I'm suggesting they may not be open and transparent about their interest the first 2 hours that this guy is eligible to talk to teams.

They've been investigating for the past year. If they were more interested then he would have been traded already before the tag.

50 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

They have until july we got a long ways to go and multiple dominoes to fall.

28 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Hey just an idea here, but have we considered the fact that sources for teams saying they are not interested right now doesn't mean that Lamar's not going to get any offers? What makes everyone think they would show their hands in the first 5 minutes here when they have until mid-July to make an offer?

Yeah I don't believe anything from any media reports until we see an actual signed offer from either side.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I like how he neglected to mention his injury history, and that his MVP season was three seasons ago, and his play has been shaky ever since. Love L-Jax, but RG3 needs a cold bucket of reality. 

Deshaun Watson has two torn ACLs, a massive laundry list of sexual assault allegations, hadn't played a snap in two years and still got paid lol.

Lamar's play hasn't been Shaky....? Ya'll clearly haven't watched him play.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

And I guarantee the owners wouldn’t be “colluding” if this was Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow seeking fully guaranteed.

Multiple owners would give that out happily. 

They just all agree that LAMAR, specifically, isn’t worth that.

Which isn’t collusion. It’s called the market deciding youre not worth it, bud lol

Yeah, I think this lends itself to the other thing, that we aren’t getting into here…

But again, just seems rather silly. Like okay, there’s Mahomes, and they’d say “well I guess you only need to be the best QB in the league to get paid fairly”, but what about Kyler, who was paid prematurely? What about Watson, with that massive, GTD deal? What about Russ, signing a back-breaking extension and then underperforming? What about what we all expect Hurts to get? 

Might’ve already crossed the line discussion-wise, so I’ll cut it there. Not usually that guy. Just seems like a silly direction to take it.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

They've been investigating for the past year. If they were more interested then he would have been traded already before the tag.

What? He can't be traded before he SIGNS the tag, let alone has it placed on him.

Honestly, if you guys think 0 of the teams that are sourced to not be interested in Lamar are going to reach out to gather information, you guys are being naive and ridiculous.

And I WANT this to work out for the Ravens.

3 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Deshaun Watson has two torn ACLs, a massive laundry list of sexual assault allegations, hadn't played a snap in two years and still got paid lol.

Lamar's play hasn't been Shaky....? Ya'll clearly haven't watched him play.

Yes, Watson got paid by one of the worst-run organizations in American professional sports. So what? 

Lamar has been up and down since his MVP season, and has never even started a full slate of games. I'd still want him for the 49ers with that caveat moving forward, but it is a big roll of the dice for teams, and it's not a surprise no one thus far is anxious at throwing up a huge bag. 

• Like 1