Bears Trade 1.1 to Panthers

CBears019

Thoughts for today:

-I've soured heavily on Gibbs as my ideal target. Why? (it should timestamp to the stats but 5:59 if it didn't link right)

Basically stats I wasn't fully aware of..... His usage was much more heavily limited which isn't a problem in itself per se, but I'm not nearly as high on Herbert as I think most people are. The real stats that worry me are the ones on screen at 5:59  Much of this could theoretically be attributed to Bama's OL being relatively bad this year, but it's enough to give me pause.  Converting 1st downs at half the rate Robinson did, getting outright STUFFED at 3x the rate.... It's pretty damning stats. Even his receiving for .5 yards lower per completion/attempt and 17% lower (Broken/Missed tackles)/attempt rate.......  I am however, now -=much more interested=- in Robinson than I was before.

-Regarding JSN.... I'm not opposed to it.... Claypool and Velus are both worth nothing to me until proven otherwise. That leaves Mooney as the big reason you might not get JSN... and I'm going to be real here.... Mooney is overrated around these parts right now. On his current trajectory, I'm not even sure I extend him. I love the guy, and I find it hilarious that he's our lightest WR and probably the best blocker on the entire team other than a healthy Tevan Jenkins, but he's been a let down lately. Hopefully getting a true #1 in Moore will get him back into the more productive column again.

-That all said, there's an argument to be made that landing Moore via trade  doesn't negate the need to draft a WR generally, but does make JSN specifically kind of irrelevant.  I've been saying for a while that I actually had Hyatt as my top WR this draft, but that he was a relatively poor fit for us because he's a "home run hitter", and we needed someone who was "getting on base"....... Welp.... Moore is the guy who can get on base, so I think Hyatt jumped back up my wishlist as the complimentary piece. Not that it matters as we have zero picks in any range he's projected to go right now. Zay Flowers being another guy I think being a stronger consideration than JSN, but again that is likely not in our draft windows barring more trades.

10 hours ago, G08 said:

This is an incredibly deep EDGE class, we can find quality players with both picks in round 2.

We can address iOL in rounds 3+

I wouldn't hate it...

FWIW, EDGE usually go off the board earlier than they're projected to go.  I'd anticipate at least 2 EDGE off the board before the Bears' pick at 9.  My guess is Will Anderson goes off the board at 3 to Arizona, and you probably see Tyree Wilson off the board somewhere in that 5-8 range.  I wouldn't get my hopes that a quality EDGE is sitting there at 54.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

FWIW, EDGE usually go off the board earlier than they're projected to go.  I'd anticipate at least 2 EDGE off the board before the Bears' pick at 9.  My guess is Will Anderson goes off the board at 3 to Arizona, and you probably see Tyree Wilson off the board somewhere in that 5-8 range.  I wouldn't get my hopes that a quality EDGE is sitting there at 54.

I think it goes 3-4 rounds deep, honestly.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I think it goes 3-4 rounds deep, honestly.

I had the same opinion a few years ago, but the reality is that it isn't likely.  From the 2021 draft, there were 8 guys with 8 sacks (4 sacks per year) and only one of them was drafted after the 45th pick (Azeez Ojulari at 50). From the 2020 draft, only 4 players have averaged at least 4 sacks per season and 2 of them were after the 4th pick.  From the 2019 draft, only 11 players had 16+ sacks and only 2 (Maxx Crosby and Dre'Mont Jones) were picked after the 45th pick.  Expecting to get a good EDGE that late is unlikely, but not impossible.