The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Graceffo pitched a gem tonight down in Springfield....

7.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, 6 strikeouts 

In 3 of his 4 starts down in AA he's looked really good. 2 walks over his last 22.2 innings pitched. 

Seems to have a little Chris Carpenter/Jack Flaherty fire in him on the mound and I love it. Not a bad 5th round pick so far!

• Like 1

Speaking of the MLB Draft, we got that coming up next month. Randy Flores has done a phenomenal job since being named Director of Scouting in 2015. Our shortened 2020 draft class has the chance to be outstanding with Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, Tink Hence and Alec Burleson. 

Since Flores has taken over we've gone...

2015: HS Hitter
2016: HS Hitter
2017: No 1st round pick
2018: HS Hitter
2019: College pitcher
2020: HS Hitter
2021: College Pitcher

This year there doesn't seem to be a ton of HS bats projected to be on the board when we pick. I'm expecting guys like Justin Crawford and Cam Collier to be long gone by the time we pick. Assuming no one in the top 10 falls in our lap, a few guys i want would be....

1. Kumar Rocker RHP
2. Gabriel Hughes RHP
3. Tucker Toman 3B 

19 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We get Flaherty going, Mikolas keeps pitching like he has and you have Waino as your #3, suddenly this rotation jumps up another notch.

Allows you to basically mix/match the rest of the rotation as you want.

As they were planning for it to be, not to mention Dak as your #4 now, who even after an awful outing, has his ERA under 3.30

Getting Jack back in the rotation is huge, I almost think just as important to the long term success of this season, we need to get Hicks back into the Bullpen, if we can knock everyone down a peg there (like Jack does to the rotation) it makes those arms so much better 

Edited by StLunatic88

15 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If it's a steroid injection, they usually do a series of these 2-3 every 4-6 weeks), so nothing concerning on quantity.

The concerning thing is they never last and just mask the pain...

What we need is getting him to a point where he can actually throw. See if he will be able to pitch through it or not this season. Because if not, we need to go get that innings eating arm for 2022. 

Especially since they don’t seem to want to commit to Liberatore for that #5 spot. 

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Speaking of the MLB Draft, we got that coming up next month. Randy Flores has done a phenomenal job since being named Director of Scouting in 2015. Our shortened 2020 draft class has the chance to be outstanding with Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, Tink Hence and Alec Burleson. 

Since Flores has taken over we've gone...

2015: HS Hitter
2016: HS Hitter
2017: No 1st round pick
2018: HS Hitter
2019: College pitcher
2020: HS Hitter
2021: College Pitcher

This year there doesn't seem to be a ton of HS bats projected to be on the board when we pick. I'm expecting guys like Justin Crawford and Cam Collier to be long gone by the time we pick. Assuming no one in the top 10 falls in our lap, a few guys i want would be....

1. Kumar Rocker RHP
2. Gabriel Hughes RHP
3. Tucker Toman 3B 

Feel like the Cardinals have consistently picked players who were a bit young for their age, and I think they have stuck away from medical concern guys so I don't think Kumar Rocker is going to be on their radar.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Feel like the Cardinals have consistently picked players who were a bit young for their age, and I think they have stuck away from medical concern guys so I don't think Kumar Rocker is going to be on their radar.

Didn’t Zack Thompson have concerns with his elbow the year we took him?

Would we actually make a move for a Catcher this season? Its the only natural need we have right now (outside of the potential need of pitching down the road) 

The other side to this coin is the lack of Catchers available.

You could look into one of the Cubs guys, but Contrares is likely to be the big prize behind the dish, and while Yan Gomes has been better than what weve been wheeling out there, is really a part time guy.

Tucker Barnhart had an awful May after a hot start, and seems to be bouncing back in June. He's only under contract through this year, so no long term commitment is a plus

Outside of that, if the Angles keep falling off, does Max Stassi do anything for you? not much right? What if I remind you that he comes with 2 more years at $7m a pop plus a 2025 buy out?

Personally Id keep an eye on Barnhart, but it seems unlikely with the Yadi and Pujols situation. It would be hard to see them both being just Bench Bats.

20 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Would we actually make a move for a Catcher this season? Its the only natural need we have right now (outside of the potential need of pitching down the road) 

No.  We've got Molina making big bucks, Andrew Knizner as a former top prospect, and Ivan Herrera literally knocking on the door for St. Louis.  If it weren't for Molina, Herrera probably would already be in St. Louis.