The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

We tried to see if Jack could make it back, I was the loudest about letting that play out. But obviously its not in the cards for him this year (or ever again?) time to make a move for an actual starter NOW. 

We dont need an ace, we just need a dependable guy, and there are plenty of them out there. 

Ill keep banging the drum for Jose Quintana. Id like another Lefty in the lineup and he should be able to keep giving us the innings we need, and he is definitely available RIGHT NOW

With the events of the weekend, it might open up those arms on the Phillies, including a few relievers as well.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ill keep banging the drum for  Quintana. Id like another Lefty in the lineup and he should be able to keep giving us the innings we need, and he is definitely available RIGHT NOW

8 year-olds, dude.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 2

Good news (if there is such a thing on our injury front) is that Oli said that Jack wasn't feeling any pain in the shoulder, so that is a positive. He said it was a completely different sensation and not at the original injury site. He likened it to a dead arm, so if that is truly the case, that's the best possible outcome and gives hope we may see him again after AS break. 

Who really knows though. 

17 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP James Naile from Triple-A Memphis.

Cardinals purchased the contract of OF Conner Capel from Triple-A Memphis.

Capel is having a really nice season down in Memphis. His K/BB% are superb. Will be interested to hear why Capel over Burleson. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Easier to DFA I would assume.

I think it's for defensive reasons. Burleson is viewed strictly as a DH from what I've heard. 

With Bader and O'Neill on the IL and Carlson playing center, they had a need for another 'natural' corner OF to match along with Nootbar. 

They didn't want to rely on Yepez and Donovan playing OF more than a fill in here and there.  

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 6/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, StLunatic88 said:

We tried to see if Jack could make it back, I was the loudest about letting that play out. But obviously its not in the cards for him this year (or ever again?) time to make a move for an actual starter NOW. 

We dont need an ace, we just need a dependable guy, and there are plenty of them out there. 

Ill keep banging the drum for Jose Quintana. Id like another Lefty in the lineup and he should be able to keep giving us the innings we need, and he is definitely available RIGHT NOW

With the events of the weekend, it might open up those arms on the Phillies, including a few relievers as well.

I've seen you throw his name out there twice and I'm on board with this. Seems like a realistic trade target because we are not getting one of the top starters on the market. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Tink Hence tonight...

3.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 walks, 0 runs, 8 strikeouts 

If that line wasn't ridiculous enough, it only took him 37 pitches to get through 3 innings.  Over the course of a 9 inning game, his line would have been 9 IP, 3 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, 24 strikeouts, and 84-111.  That's stupid efficient, especially for a guy who struck out 80% of the batters he faced.  They've got kiddy gloves on him, which I have absolutely no issue with at all.

33 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

All this science I don’t understand. It is exciting to see, though. I love hearing about our prospects doing well. He was clocked at 96 at the top, now it’s almost 98. Add Hence to Walker and Wynn, and we’ve got a stew going. Those are 3 really young, really talented, athletic marvels we’ve got coming up relatively soon. Plus all the young guys that are mashing with the big squad makes for a lot of optimism.