The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  We've got Molina making big bucks, Andrew Knizner as a former top prospect, and Ivan Herrera literally knocking on the door for St. Louis.  If it weren't for Molina, Herrera probably would already be in St. Louis.

That doesnt really hold all that much weight today though. Hes hitting under .200 on the season, and under .100 for June. That is an anchor on this offense. And Yadi is barely better than that. 

If we keep it up and are in a race, and these two havent gotten better than hitting .150, you have to do something.

Is that bringing Herrera up? Could be, but that likely only happens if one of these two go on long term IR.

But grabbing a guy like Tucker Barnhart, who will be a free agent after the season doesnt impact Herrera's timeline. Plus you have 1 Option remaining on Knizner, so it could be done. Id also assume it would only take a B- to B level prospect to get it done for a few months of a rental Catcher.

Probably doesnt happen, especially if Yadi can get up to like .230 or so, but if they arent even hitting their weight, its hard to just sit on your hands

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That doesnt really hold all that much weight today though. Hes hitting under .200 on the season, and under .100 for June. That is an anchor on this offense. And Yadi is barely better than that. 

If we keep it up and are in a race, and these two havent gotten better than hitting .150, you have to do something.

Is that bringing Herrera up? Could be, but that likely only happens if one of these two go on long term IR.

But grabbing a guy like Tucker Barnhart, who will be a free agent after the season doesnt impact Herrera's timeline. Plus you have 1 Option remaining on Knizner, so it could be done. Id also assume it would only take a B- to B level prospect to get it done for a few months of a rental Catcher.

Probably doesnt happen, especially if Yadi can get up to like .230 or so, but if they arent even hitting their weight, its hard to just sit on your hands

I mean you gotta call Herrera up right? At least that's what I hope is their game plan. We were getting similar production from the catcher position in 2004 from Matheny and McKay when they decided to call up Yadi. I mean I don't see why not. Both guys on the roster have a significantly below average wRC+ 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I mean you gotta call Herrera up right? At least that's what I hope is their game plan. We were getting similar production from the catcher position in 2004 from Matheny and McKay when they decided to call up Yadi. I mean I don't see why not. Both guys on the roster have a significantly below average wRC+ 

Has to be Herrera but not sure they’ll make that move anytime soon.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You're asking the Cardinals to trade for a backup C with a wRC+ of 57 this year and a career wRC+ of 81 so that you don't play your backup C who is currently posting a 63 wRC+?  He's a marginal upgrade right now, and you're going to have give up something (probably nothing special) to get him.  That just doesn't move the needle for the Cardinals at all.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

The future at the C position is going to Ivan Herrera unless Knizner suddenly figures it out.  He held his own throughout his MILB career, but he didn't hit for much power.  Kinda reminds me of Molina's bat early on his big league career.  Molina had a bit better strike zone judgment but both lacked any real power at the plate.

Basically telling Mo, our bullpen is trash outside of Gio, Helsley, and Cabrera. McFarland? Garbage VerHagen? Garbage Wittgren? Garbage

Getting Hicks back could help although I’ve never been a big fan of his with his sometimes lack of control. If Matz comes back, they could move Pallante back to the bullpen but I actually like Pallante a hell of a lot more.