The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

11 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

MLB’s new top 100….

#7 Jordan Walker
#47 Matthew Libretore 
#85 Ivan Herrera 
#92 Masyn Winn 

Tink Hence being their 9th ranked prospect is a HUGE whiff on their part.  He's clearly a top 6 prospect in the farm system.  Also, Gordon Graceffo being as long as he is another poor slotting.  FanGraphs did a MUCH better job slotting them.

11 minutes ago, JonStark said:

What's the point of moving Edman down to #7? Who's going to drive him in down that low? 

I get wanting to switch things up with the slump we've been in but that makes no sense. 

He's been part of the problem the last few weeks. He's got like a .600 OPS during that span. I get why they moved him down and put the (2) guys in the line-up (outside of Goldy and Arenado) at the tope who are hitting/getting on-base. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He's been part of the problem the last few weeks. He's got like a .600 OPS during that span. I get why they moved him down and put the (2) guys in the line-up (outside of Goldy and Arenado) at the tope who are hitting/getting on-base. 

His OPS is under .600 for the last month, if you are looking more recently its like .420 in the past 2 weeks

He is hitting .166 for the pas 5 series where we have only won one of those. He's in a slump and to pretend otherwise is just burying your head in the sand.

The pitching has been an issue with the injuries and now Dak losing it, so that needs to be addressed. But the offense has stalled overall, with Goldy and Nolan dragging this dead horse to a couple of wins.

• Like 1

Anybody actually shocked with this teams recent performance? They look like a AAA team when they face good teams. Guys like Matz, Bader, TON, and Yadi are not changing this team much at all.  Matz is a bottom of the rotation guy. Yadi is slightly better than Knizner with the bat. TON is inconsistent and strikes out a lot. Obviously the defense improves big time but if you need elite defense every game for our pitching to be at least serviceable then yikes.  Also has any pitcher gotten better under Maddox?

44 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Anybody actually shocked with this teams recent performance? They look like a AAA team when they face good teams. Guys like Matz, Bader, TON, and Yadi are not changing this team much at all.  Matz is a bottom of the rotation guy. Yadi is slightly better than Knizner with the bat. TON is inconsistent and strikes out a lot. Obviously the defense improves big time but if you need elite defense every game for our pitching to be at least serviceable then yikes.  Also has any pitcher gotten better under Maddox?

I think getting Bader and TON will help a lot. O’Neil was looking good before he got hurt. His injury history is getting close to alarming to me, though. I agree that Yadi and Matz aren’t going to give us much. We really need to trade for a pitcher. Without a big move for a quality rotation piece we may make the playoffs, but we’re not a real contender. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think getting Bader and TON will help a lot. O’Neil was looking good before he got hurt. His injury history is getting close to alarming to me, though. I agree that Yadi and Matz aren’t going to give us much. We really need to trade for a pitcher. Without a big move for a quality rotation piece we may make the playoffs, but we’re not a real contender

Yea that’s mainly my point. We may make the playoffs but we’re still the same team we’ve been for the past 5 years or so. 1 and done.

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think they moved Walkers ETA up to 2023. That probably doesn’t mean much, but it’s interesting to see him knocking on the door so soon. 

He's putting up better numbers this year in AA then he did in High-A last year.  At some point, he's going to get a promotion to Memphis this year.  Probably closer to the end of the year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's putting up better numbers this year in AA then he did in High-A last year.  At some point, he's going to get a promotion to Memphis this year.  Probably closer to the end of the year.

We’ve turned into a 3B factory. Like 85% of all our quality non pitching prospects are stud 3B.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Part of the question is still where does he play for the big league club?  I've wondered if he ends up taking over 1B from Goldy, but it's definitely looking like he'll be here before Goldy moves on.  Does he move to the outfield?

34 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Part of the question is still where does he play for the big league club?  I've wondered if he ends up taking over 1B from Goldy, but it's definitely looking like he'll be here before Goldy moves on.  Does he move to the outfield?

Gotta be a COF spot, I’d imagine. 3B to LF isn’t that big of a move. I’d like to see us use Carlson as trade bait and move Walker to RF. He’s got a rifle. Or move TON. I can’t see Walker playing a CIF spot consistently for the big squad. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Thats the huge question, if he is actually ready by 2023 (I still have my doubts about not only his reediness, but also the clubs willingness to move him through that fast)

You have basically 5/5.5 spots to fill out all of these guys for 2023/24

• Paul Goldschmidt
  • Nolan Arenado
  • Nolan Gorman
  • Jordan Walker
  • Tyler O'Neill
  • Dylan Carlson
  • Juan Yepez

Of those guys (at the very least) we have to fit them into 1B, 3B, LF, RF, DH and then maybe 2B or CF. Which isnt even including other guys who are proving to be useful players (Edman, Bader, Donovan)

Its likely we will end up moving off of a few of these guys. Hope we choose correctly as well as maximize value of the others.

• Like 1