The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

58 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Was that the worst loss of the season last night? Goodness that was bad. And how do you justify keeping VerHagen but releasing Angel Rondon? That’s really bad roster management. 

Yeah, I really didn’t like getting rid of Rondon. He’s young, cheap, and he just pitched pretty well for 5 innings of relief a couple days before his release. He was clearly going to get picked up off waivers. He was a top 15 prospect in our system and not old. Maybe there was something behind the scenes, but it seems dumb to me. 

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just another ridiculous night for Tink Hence last night.

4 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 8 K, 1 BB

This season his strikeout rate is ridiculous at 15.80 K/9. 

Graceffo also pitched really well last night....

7.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts

20 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know the organization won’t do it, but would you be willing to take a chance on Kumar Rocker?

100% would and I think there is a real good chance he's available ta our pick. He's a guy who will be a fast mover through the organization too. He could be ready by next season to pitch in MLB.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know the organization won’t do it, but would you be willing to take a chance on Kumar Rocker?

I know nothing about him, but Greg Amzinger told Randy Karraker & Michelle Smallmon on their radio show yesterday that he thinks he'll be available when we pick and that he thinks the Cards could be interested.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Probably too many concerns regarding him, but if the price tag wasn't obscene and you're comfortable with the medicals, yeah.  Rocker agreed to a $6M signing bonus last year, which was about $1.25M above the slot value.  The Cardinals have the 7th smallest bonus pool at just over $6.8M, and slot value for 22nd pick is just under $3.2M.  Ultimately, I think there's just too much risk involved with that pick.  I could see someone like the Orioles or D'Backs taking him early in that second part of the draft after saving money with their first pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Probably too many concerns regarding him, but if the price tag wasn't obscene and you're comfortable with the medicals, yeah.  Rocker agreed to a $6M signing bonus last year, which was about $1.25M above the slot value.  

That’s actually where most of my concern comes. Not sure that he would be ok with the money we would/could offer him at our pick.