The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'll be heading over to the game in a couple of minutes.   So with my record, you can probably pencil in a loss and HRs from Gorman and Goldschmidt.

Wish I saw this before the game started. I absolutely would've sprinkled on the HRs.

19 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Lol at some Cardinal fans thinking this team actually goes after Soto. Good luck thinking DeWitt will give that contract needed to keep him around. We’ll be lucky to keep Nolan from opting out at this point.

Yeah if he turned down that contract, I don't think we'd be willing to trade the pieces needed to land him and then pay him. Would love to get Thor off the Angels though. 

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Lol at some Cardinal fans thinking this team actually goes after Soto. Good luck thinking DeWitt will give that contract needed to keep him around. We’ll be lucky to keep Nolan from opting out at this point.

I don't think it's necessarily the contract alone.  It's the contract along with the sheer prospect haul the Cardinals would need to give up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I find it funny people actually think he's getting traded. Nats still have 2 seasons of control left on him and they're gonna explore every Avenue they can with him until he shuts the door because that's what you do with a player like him. 

Plus, Nats are reportedly up for sale and their ownership group and FO are likely to change. They don't want to be remembered as the group that traded/let Soto out the door. It already happened once with them before (Harper).

Also, 0% chance Arenado opts out. He loves it here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

Wish I saw this before the game started. I absolutely would've sprinkled on the HRs.

Yeah if he turned down that contract, I don't think we'd be willing to trade the pieces needed to land him and then pay him. Would love to get Thor off the Angels though. 

Well, no Gorman, but did get Goldy.  And we won, which I think brings me to .500 this season, but I am not sure.

I'm pretty sure all the mock drafts out there have the Cardinals selecting RHP Gabriel Hughes from Gonzaga. Wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be ok with it. His profile kind of screams Reliever to me. There are a few guys who I'm probably "On the clock" for no more that 10 seconds if they're still on the board...

1. Dylan Lesko RHP 
2. Brock Porter RHP
3. Daniel Susac C 

I think if any of these 3 are on the board still when we pick it should be a no brainer. And I don't care if we have Ivan Herrera at Triple-A. If anything it's a nice problem to have 2-3 years down the road. But my "realistic" Cardinals top 5 would probably look something like....

1. Cade Horton RHP
2. Kumar Rocker RHP
3. Chase DeLauter OF
4. Connor Prielipp LHP
5. Gabriel HughesRHP/Cooper Hjerpe LHP 

I think this is definitely a year to add some talent to our pitching depth.  

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm pretty sure all the mock drafts out there have the Cardinals selecting RHP Gabriel Hughes from Gonzaga. Wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be ok with it. His profile kind of screams Reliever to me. There are a few guys who I'm probably "On the clock" for no more that 10 seconds if they're still on the board...

1. Dylan Lesko RHP 
2. Brock Porter RHP
3. Daniel Susac C 

I think if any of these 3 are on the board still when we pick it should be a no brainer. And I don't care if we have Ivan Herrera at Triple-A. If anything it's a nice problem to have 2-3 years down the road. But my "realistic" Cardinals top 5 would probably look something like....

1. Cade Horton RHP
2. Kumar Rocker RHP
3. Chase DeLauter OF
4. Connor Prielipp LHP
5. Gabriel HughesRHP/Cooper Hjerpe LHP 

I think this is definitely a year to add some talent to our pitching depth.  

I don't hate Gabriel Hughes, but there's not a lot of upside there.  Probably able to get him at slot, maybe slightly below slot value.  The Cardinals have almost exclusively gone slot value with their first pick, and used their savings to spend on their next few picks and I completely expect that to happen again.  Dylan Lesko probably goes off the board in that 11-18 range even with him having TJS.  Think the Mets at 14 would gobble him up.  Brock Porter is probably the first HS pitcher off the board.  Think he's coming off the board in that 10-16 range.  Really indifferent to Daniel Susac, but not a fan of avoiding a position.  Draft BPA and let it sort itself out.

Pretty sure we're not going to be in on Horton or Rocker unless it's later in the draft and we've got money to spend.  DeLauter is an interesting player, and I wouldn't be opposed to taking him by any means.  IF there was a longer track record for Connor Prielipp, I'd probably be more excited about him but he'd probably go off the board before the Cardinals' picked.  Really don't want anything to do with Hjerpe.  Reminds me too much of Marco Gonzales.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't hate Gabriel Hughes, but there's not a lot of upside there.  Probably able to get him at slot, maybe slightly below slot value.  The Cardinals have almost exclusively gone slot value with their first pick, and used their savings to spend on their next few picks and I completely expect that to happen again.  Dylan Lesko probably goes off the board in that 11-18 range even with him having TJS.  Think the Mets at 14 would gobble him up.  Brock Porter is probably the first HS pitcher off the board.  Think he's coming off the board in that 10-16 range.  Really indifferent to Daniel Susac, but not a fan of avoiding a position.  Draft BPA and let it sort itself out.

Pretty sure we're not going to be in on Horton or Rocker unless it's later in the draft and we've got money to spend.  DeLauter is an interesting player, and I wouldn't be opposed to taking him by any means.  IF there was a longer track record for Connor Prielipp, I'd probably be more excited about him but he'd probably go off the board before the Cardinals' picked.  Really don't want anything to do with Hjerpe.  Reminds me too much of Marco Gonzales.

How does Hjerpe remind you of Marco Gonzales? Besides both being lefties and both having A low 90s FB, they are completely different pitchers. But anyways, what’s your thoughts on SS Eric Brown? He’s an underslot option if they choose to go that route. He’s been getting a lot of first round buzz lately. 

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

How does Hjerpe remind you of Marco Gonzales? Besides both being lefties and both having A low 90s FB, they are completely different pitchers. But anyways, what’s your thoughts on SS Eric Brown? He’s an underslot option if they choose to go that route. He’s been getting a lot of first round buzz lately. 

Speaking more in terms of lefties with deceptive deliveries and less then impressive stuff.  You're buying into his delivery creating the deception needed to make his stuff play up.  

As for Eric Brown, I don't think the Cardinals have gone underslot with their first pick.  I think they go almost exclusively slot to slightly-above slot.  There's just nothing that really gets me going.  He's probably a league-average SS in his best case scenario.  Maybe the SS version of Kolten Wong?

Not a fan of the Hjerpe selection. He's got command of his 3 pitches, but none of them really wow. Guess his curveball is his best offering. The wonky side arm delivery is deceptive, but how much so when he gets to the higher levels? He should be a fast riser through the system though.

I'm guessing he'll be below slot value, so expecting us to take some risks on day 2 of draft. 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not a fan of the Hjerpe selection. He's got command of his 3 pitches, but none of them really wow. Guess his curveball is his best offering. The wonky side arm delivery is deceptive, but how much so when he gets to the higher levels? He should be a fast riser through the system though.

I'm guessing he'll be below slot value, so expecting us to take some risks on day 2 of draft. 

Maaan I love the selection. I think he’s a guy who you can pencil in to the 2025 rotation and leave him there for 6+ years. 

If I had to rank them, he’s probably right above McGreevy in the top 10….

1. Jordan Walker 3B
2. Masyn Winn SS
3. Ivan Herrera C
4. Tink Hence RHP 
5. Matthew Libretore LHP
6. Gordon Graceffo RHP 
7. Zack Thompson LHP
8. Alec Burleson OF
9. Cooper Hjerpe LHP
10. Michael McGreevy RHP 

• Like 1